Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Life is a Long Quiet River (1988) (Read 4,316 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Life is a Long Quiet River (1988)
09. Feb 2002 at 08:09
Print Post  

"Life is a Long Quiet River" is to be re-released on video in the US this week.  The previous release from 1992 or so has been unavailable.  I thought it worth some discussion.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 04:37 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Life is a Long Quiet River
Reply #1 - 09. Feb 2002 at 09:11
Print Post  
Directed by Etienne Chatiliez (who also directed "Tatie Danielle" )

I found this to be an utterly charming movie.

Two babies are switched at birth.  When the mistake is discovered 12 years later, it leads to complications in the lives of both families.  One family is affluent, with dutiful and (apparently) contented children.  The other family is poor, with rambunctious (even delinquent) children, often hungry, but with lots of laughter in the house.

There are lots of *really* cute kids, mostly boys--both families have a lot of brothers.  Benoit Magimel stars as 12-year-old Momo or Maurice.
No full boy nudity, but when they go swimming they wear next to nothing.
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 04:36 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Life is a Long Quiet River
Reply #2 - 10. Feb 2002 at 04:57
Print Post  
I've seen this movie about three or four times, the last time as recently as a week ago or so on the 'World Movies' channel.

or perhaps it was on SBS

(I've just fast fwd through the tape I have and I've found I've got a different set of subtitles than either of the ones posted above.  In fact there are no subtitles used at all in the scene where the boy is drinking alcohol)

..anyway I have it listed in my 50 favourite non English dialogue movies.

I like the look of the movie, especially Benoit Magimel as the 12 year old boy who was switched at birth and is raised in a lower class vulgar family, instead of by his wealthy natural parents.  

When he learns truth of his origins his initial reaction is that he may be able to con a few bucks out of the wealthy family.  The best part of this film for me was as he gets to know his 'new' parents he realizes how wretched his life has been until now.  Like many French satires or French comedies it is overdone and the characters are exagerated to the point of farce.  But I still like the movie and haven't tired of watching it.
« Last Edit: 06. Feb 2004 at 07:39 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Life is a Long Quiet River (1988)
Reply #3 - 12. Jun 2013 at 23:37
Print Post  

Smiley I saw again this movie this evening. I liked the very good play of Benoît MAGIMEL in part of Maurice alias Momo. My movie rating is 8/10.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print