Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Kolya (1996) (Read 6,043 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Kolya (1996)
25. Apr 2002 at 17:13
Print Post  

Kolya (1996)
Directed by Jan Sverak (Czech)
Boy actor : Andrei Chalimon

This Oscar-winning Czeck film explores the relationship between an older man and a five-year-old boy he unexpectedly has to care for after his mother abandons him. The two speak different languages, which makes communication difficult. But, reluctant at first, the man - who is described as « the perfect grouch » - eventually comes to love the boy.

It's been a while since I've seen this one, so the details of the plot are a bit hazy. I do remember that it was quite a beautiful film, though, and the very young boy's performance is impressive. He is also very cute!

Director Jan Sverak has also made a film called « The elementary School », which I haven’t been able to find at local video stores. From what little I know about it, it sounds like a lovely film as well, so I will probably end up ordering it if I don’t find a copy of it soon.

(Star Galaxy also has lots of pics from Kolya.)
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 05:01 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Kolya (1996)
Reply #1 - 29. Apr 2002 at 22:25
Print Post  
This is one of my favorites too, josephk!  I loved this little boy, and wanted him to stay with his new-found friend.  His mother was an idiot to ever let herself be separated from him, even for a short while! I do understand how that happened within the storyline, but I still think women who leave their kids behind for any reason should just give them up. There's a lot of good men out there who'd be glad to devote themselves to raising a boy like this. Smiley

I dreamed of adopting a boy just like Andrei Chalimon for days after seeing this film.  He's really a cutie! Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

Kolya (1996)
Reply #2 - 07. May 2002 at 02:16
Print Post  
My apologies to other UK viewers for not saying so before, but Kolya was on BBC4 last night.
It is indeed a fantastic film. The director seems to be very keen on profile shots of Andrei, with the sunlight picking out his little button nose Smiley

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print