Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Magonia (2001) (Read 7,080 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Magonia (2001)
18. Aug 2002 at 13:36
Print Post  

Magonia is a Dutch movie from last year that I would recommend to any reader in this group. Since it has already been established that I can't write reviews, I have nicked this one from the website of the Chicago Reader.

A father spins exotic tales for his young son during their weekly visits, three of which are dramatized in this 2001 Dutch feature. In one a European husband and wife whose car breaks down in a remote region of Africa are aided by a father and his son, the latter becoming the object of the wife's flirtation; in another, set in a fishing port, a woman tells a young boy about her almost mythical lover, who will protect them in any storm. Director Ineke Smits succeeds in plunging the viewer into three imagined worlds, yet her meditation on the romance of storytelling becomes a bittersweet reflection on the fragility of fantasy when a surprise ending reveals the maturing child's growing distance from his troubled parent.

------------------------
image expired

(Edited by Zabladowski at 5:49 pm on May 11, 2003)
« Last Edit: 07. Feb 2004 at 00:49 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Magonia (2001)
Reply #1 - 18. Aug 2002 at 16:31
Print Post  
Well, that sure sounds interesting, and the boy in the pic is cute. How come he has to hold both kites, though? I guess that's a good way to keep both of his hands busy. Good time for a tickle, I think. Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Magonia (2001)
Reply #2 - 19. Aug 2002 at 23:45
Print Post  
Sir J,

If I recall correctly, whenever the boy went to visit his father they flew kites. The use of knots in this pasttime, as well as the stories his father told, were intended to have a metaphorical meaning for the boy, which he started to grasp at the movie's end.

This was a very impressive film that was screened in the US via film fest last year. I included it with my new film fest postings because the film was on my mind and because I wanted to share the still I had from the movie.  

Btw if you are reading this Cameron, the boy's name is Willem Voogd and I believe this to be his only film credit so far.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Re: Magonia (2001)
Reply #3 - 19. Mar 2004 at 09:09
Print Post  
Finally Magonia has been released on R2 DVD. Haven't watched the movie yet but it really looks a very promising one. Here are some caps from Willem Voogd taken from the trailer:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The DVD can be ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and I am very pleased to inform you that the DVD includes English subtitles as well!

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 28. Mar 2004 at 22:13
Print Post  
Thanks for letting everyone know about this 'soles. I can't wait to read other people's reaction to this film.

Thanks for the caps as well. One can never have too many Willem Voogd pictures.  Grin

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 29. Mar 2004 at 10:10
Print Post  
So many movies to watch... 

Oh Sir J....  ENGLISH SUBS!!!!!!    Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #6 - 29. Mar 2004 at 12:11
Print Post  
Hehe. I saw that!   Grin

I went to proxis.be, though, and though the movie shows up in a list when you search for it, clicking on that link to the movie kept taking me back to the same page I was on.  The page for 'Magonia' just never would come up.  Shocked

I'll have to try again when I have more time, or when they put up an English version of the website, too.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #7 - 29. Mar 2004 at 12:52
Print Post  
No idea what you are doing wrong, but the website is in English too (and French) and if you search for Magonia the  site bring you to it....

Just try again I would advise.

'soles'

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #8 - 29. Mar 2004 at 13:36
Print Post  
Thanks, 'soles.  I did at least find that little button up on the upper left to change the site to English.  Smiley

But, when I do a search for Magonia (2001) under DVD/Video, it comes back with this:

<i>search and find: No results found
Search in another product category:</i>

Maybe they sold out after you posted this information on the worldwide-famous BoyActors site. Shocked

EDIT:  I found it.  If you want to find it, too, leave off the (2001) when you do the search.

Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print