Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Reykjavik Guesthouse - Rent A Bike (2002) (Read 5,097 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reykjavik Guesthouse - Rent A Bike (2002)
18. Aug 2002 at 14:14
Print Post  

The summary for this film is from The Icelandic Film Foundation website.

Jóhann is a thirty year old man suffering from depression after the sudden death of his father, his sole companion. He runs a small guesthouse in downtown Reykjavik and is facing bankruptcy as a result of him refusing to admit any guests. He has made the small house in the small city his own private little universe, where he doesnt have to face up to the rest of the world or interact with his fellow citizens. Into this isolated existence wanders a nine year old boy, Finnur, who is every bit as off beat as Jóhann. He is bullied by his classmates and leads a sad life with his alcoholic grandmother. Their friendship develops as the foundations of their separate lives start to collapse and Jóhann has to re-evaluate the existence he has chosen for himself. Reykjavík Guesthouse is a story about individuals and their fears. A story about the futile attempts to make time stand still as its pace increases. Last but not least, its a story of friendship where you least expect to find it.

I couldn't find a picture but film clips/trailers are available at the film's official site (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 27. Jul 2008 at 00:02 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #1 - 18. Aug 2002 at 16:44
Print Post  
Gosh, Zabladowski, this one sounds real good.

Meeting a 9-year-old boy sounds like the best way to come out of depression to me. I really hope this one makes it to dvd!

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 27. Aug 2002 at 01:29
Print Post  
Sir J:

I saw this film over the weekend. I wouldn't plan on a DVD release any time soon. The film was the 2nd weakest of the 10 I saw in Montreal. Its visuals were annoying, because the film was shot on video and the presentation of the material was disproportionately skewed toward Johann's (the man) character. Stefan Eiriksson, who played Finnur (the Boy), deserved more screen time!

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 27. Aug 2002 at 03:07
Print Post  
Well, I'm sorry it didn't turn out to be so good. But, I'm glad you saw it and brought back that report to us. I've bought a lot of movies lately that I might not have bought if I'd have read honest reviews of them like that, instead of the hype that the sellers tell you.

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 27. Aug 2002 at 07:39
Print Post  
I saw this one too and I agree with Zabladowski's comments that this was a disappointment. The video image was annoying - and for me to say that, it had to be pretty bad, as I am a big fan of DV and have seen several films shot on DV that I thought were beautiful. Actually, I'm not even sure if this was DV or just plain old video.

I don't think it will ever be released on DVD. But if anyone has a chance to see it on TV or to get a cheap video copy of it, I'd say it's worth it just because the boy in it is quite cute and does a very good job at playing his part. He is not the main focus of the film, but he's the second most important character so he does appear in it prominently. (Yet I agree with Zabladowski that he deserved more screen time than he got.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print