Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cicadas (2000) (Read 9,679 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Cicadas (2000)
23. Aug 2002 at 20:28
Print Post  

Here is a film I've been keeping an eye on for about a year. I'm on their mailing list, so I get an update every once in a while. So far, it's played a few festivals in the States and won a few awards, but there doesn't seem to be any plans for a commercial release, in theatres or on video.

All of the information and pictures gathered here is from the film's official website ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)).

The story follows Anna Roberts (Lindsay Broockman), 16, trying to survive the cruel world of high school, while taking care of her two brothers in her parents' absence. Anna hides herself beneath her homework, her cello and her family responsibilities. Only when she is assigned to help out James Fisher (Brandon Howe), a transfer student with a penchant for poetry and insects, does she find someone to confide in, someone to understand. It is through their friendship that she uncovers the strength and beauty that has been buried so deep.

Anna becomes intrigued by James' abrasive and dark behavior. Rejected by their peers, the two find solace in each other. Both must overcome a sense of betrayal by their parents. James lives with his grieving, alcoholic mother and hasn't seen his father in years. Anna finds herself taking care of her two brothers, Jacob and Simon, while her parents are constantly away on business. Jacob (Paul Conrad), an eighteen year old artist, is forever skipping school to get drunk with his Dungeons and Dragons friends. And Simon (Bryan Chafin), a ten year old introvert, finds comfort in collecting and listening to bugs while hiding in trees.

Simon's odd ways and diminutive stature prompt the relentless taunting of two bullies from school. He keeps quiet about his afternoons of being teased and beaten up, trying to survive by closing off to the rest of the world. But when the harassment continues, he eventually erupts in violence.

This portrait of young lives trying to fit in, evolves into a struggle to survive the fear and rage caused by the cruelties of their peers. The characters cling to their passions in life … art, music and nature. They desperately hold on to the things that bring joy into their everyday lives: collecting bugs, sketching, playing cello. They wash away the reminders of what waits for them inside their school hallways and classrooms. Anna, subjected to her classmates' pranks and practical jokes, becomes numb. Simon, picked on relentlessly, begins to hate himself. Their identities crumble and waver from rejection and misunderstanding. Uncomfortable with who they are and what skins they've been given, they search inside themselves, hoping to find someone prettier, more popular or more appealing. Finding solace and strength in each other, they rise above it all and learn to use their own voices and their own wings. And like the cicada, each of the characters emerges from beneath the earth, sheds their own skin and learns how to fly.
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 17:36 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Cicadas
Reply #1 - 23. Aug 2002 at 20:33
Print Post  
<b>Bryan Chafin</b>

Bryan, a sixth grader in Arlington, Texas has been acting professionally for two years. His film credits include Sleeping Dogs, No Small Ways and Plantin Seeds. A straight "A" student, Bryan has been a member of the Lone Star Theater's "Shakespeare Under the Stars" for three years, performing in The Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet and The Merry Wives of Windsor. Most recently, Bryan co-starred as Samuel Martin in the new Mel Gibson film The Patriot. For more info on Bryan ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(Edited by josephk at 9:34 pm on Aug. 23, 2002)

(Edited by josephk at 9:45 pm on Aug. 23, 2002)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Cicadas
Reply #2 - 25. Aug 2002 at 09:47
Print Post  
Thanks for reminding us of this movie Joseph.  I'm still looking forward to seeing this one, it is hard to understand why the movie has not been properly released.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Cicadas
Reply #3 - 30. Aug 2002 at 19:58
Print Post  
This is on my list to see as well. It is hard to believe that this film can't even get a video release in the US. Bryan was good in "The Patriot", but this film appears to offer him more of a chance to show what he can do.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Cicadas
Reply #4 - 14. Jul 2003 at 05:33
Print Post  
Oh, I want to see this film sooooo bad. When I saw the thread had been bumped up again I thought maybe it was to announce a DVD release. Sad Sadly, it seems this movie still hasn't played anywhere but in a few small festivals. Is there any hope?

I e-mailed the director last year asking if there was a DVD or theatrical release in sight. There was none at the time. I should start my own DVD company and go after films I want to see released. That would solve all my problems. Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Cicadas
Reply #5 - 15. Jul 2003 at 02:34
Print Post  
yes..  this is definitely on my top ten list of movies I want to see...  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 04. Apr 2006 at 00:12 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: Cicadas
Reply #6 - 03. Apr 2006 at 20:17
Print Post  

Quote:
CICADAS is now available on DVD!
Order online at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
$25.00 (includes tax, shipping and handling)
All proceeds go toward completing the feature film, "jumping off bridges".

I can see why it didn't get a distributor.  It's pretty bad. For the most part: the writing, the acting, the music. But I did like watching Bryan.  I notice that Blake Chafin (presumably Bryan's older brother) has a part.  And Bryan is also listed as stunt performer.  What does that mean?  That he really climbed the tree?

spoiler warning...if you intend to see this movie, you may want to skip the next message until afterward...

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

*** SPOILER WARNING ***
Reply #7 - 03. Apr 2006 at 20:20
Print Post  
Why is Simon (played by Bryan) always taking off his shirt? (Kat Candler is the writer-director.  The cynical answer might be simply that she wanted to see Bryan shirtless again and again.) And why Simon he always climbing trees?

Well, the movie is called "cicadas", and at the beginning they tell us (twice) the life cycle of the cicada.  Simon is imitating that: molting (taking off his shirt); climbing a tree; maybe he is hoping it will lead to the next step: flying away...

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 03. Apr 2006 at 20:24
Print Post  
Well... someone finally saw it...

And it sucked. I'm bitterly disappointed. After all this wait. I kind of suspected it might not be that great, but it was hard not to have high hopes, seeing all those pictures of Bryan from the movie.

(sigh)

Maybe I'll check it out one day. But I'm less anxious to do so now.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 03. Apr 2006 at 22:09
Print Post  
yay... finally someone has seen it   Smiley

Although Hosenhaus doesn't appear to be all that impressed there is a VERY positive review here:

I'm still just as keen on seeing it.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #10 - 03. Apr 2006 at 22:32
Print Post  
I don't know what's wrong with my internet connection these days. Roughly 50% of the links I click on lead to nowhere. Very frustrating. I'm going to call my ISP soon if it doesn't stop.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print