Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic One Hour Photo (2002) (Read 8,093 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

One Hour Photo (2002)
02. Sep 2002 at 00:38
Print Post  

has anyone seen this movie yet?

newcommer Dylan Smith appears to have a decent part in this film which stars Robin Williams.

official site:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IMBd:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

-------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:20 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

One Hour Photo (2002)
Reply #1 - 02. Sep 2002 at 09:19
Print Post  
The movie is getting fairly good reviews, too. Robin Williams plays a psycho clerk at a one-hour photo lab who becomes obsessed with following the life of one family though their photos, which he develops for them. Dylan Smith plays the son in the family in question.

I'm also looking forward to it.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

One Hour Photo (2002)
Reply #2 - 02. Sep 2002 at 12:52
Print Post  
This movie is only playing in the mega-markets in the US right now. I believe it will trickle down to where I am on September 13th. I definitely plan on seeing it.

IP Logged

Huckleberry
Gold Member

One Hour Photo (2002)
Reply #3 - 13. Sep 2002 at 23:10
Print Post  
I saw the film today.  Smiley
Like I suggested, it was an unusual film and I liked it. I'm not extremely enthusiastic about it, but I really liked it.
The boy is a real angel.  :luvstruck:
Now I can tell you what the above picture is about: it's Jakob standing at the counter at the film developing section at savmart, the market where Seymour (Williams) works. Together with his Mom he picks up one of the many films they leave there for developing.
I wished the movie had been a little longer, with more insights to the person's characters (especially Jakob's, of course, even if it's not important for the plot Cheesy).
I kind of identified with Seymour in the way that he always dreams about the perfect family. He also is a perfectionist.  Wink
It's amazing what great feedback the film became: there are already 78 reviews at the IMDb. I didn't read them all, but I have to agree with one writers comment: "Overall worth checking out, just don't be surprised if the movie seems a little unfinished at the end."
In the whole film there's not a single clue given why Sy became the way he is now. But I guess that was the intention of the screenwriter: the viewer is asked to make up his/her own mind.

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

One Hour Photo (2002)
Reply #4 - 16. Sep 2002 at 14:52
Print Post  
I really enjoyed this film.  It's one of Robin Williams' more controlled performances.  As in Insomnia a few months ago, he did not chew up the scenery and proved he can be quite a good actor when he has strong direction.

Dylan Smith is also quite good and is very cute.  I hope this leads to future roles for him.

I have to take exception to Huckleberry's statement that "not a single clue (is) given why Sy became the way he is now." Near the end, when he's talking to Eric La Salle, he goes into a rant about children be being forced by their parents to pose for dirty pictures and do
things they do not want to do.  It is quite apparent he's referring to himself and his own childhood.  This explains his low self esteem and lack of friends while he was growing up.  Also, his fixating on this one family that he mistakenly believes is ideal, his own having been abusive to him.  Someone with this background might well take a perverse interest in photography and make a career of developing photos.  It also expains his sense of betrayal when the father in his ideal family proves to be less than perfect.  The revenge he takes is quite appropriate to his psychological make-up, given his emotional history.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

One Hour Photo (2002)
Reply #5 - 19. Sep 2002 at 22:53
Print Post  
I just saw this film the other night. I side with Wildeboy on the question of Sy's motivation, but feel the revelation of this was a weak spot in the film.

Keeping in mind that the Yorkin's were the ideal family, Dylan Smith was picked to play an impossibly perfect boy in looks and demeanor - and he nailed the part!
Overall, I had some isssues with the story, but Robin Williams was spectacular, the cinematography was stunning and Dylan Smith didn't disappoint in his scenes.

My conclusion 8/10 as a movie rating; 7/10 as a boy movie rating (Dylan's lack of screen time [he was the only boy character] will not let me push that rating any higher)

IP Logged

pyjamaboy
Ex Member

One Hour Photo (2002)
Reply #6 - 26. Oct 2002 at 14:29
Print Post  

Dylan looks incredibly cute in those red track suite pants... comes out on DVD in january 2003 .... (-:

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: One Hour Photo (2002)
Reply #7 - 08. Feb 2014 at 19:35
Print Post  
Robin Williams plays his part very well; a real weirdo for whom you can have sympathy for his loneliness. Dylan Smith, as young Jakob, is only incidental to the plot which means this film only just manages to squeeze into the 'boy film' definition.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 08. Feb 2014 at 21:55
Print Post  
Smiley I saw this movie hers some months ago. I liked the play of Dylan SMITH in part of Jake. My mobie rating is 6/10.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01. Mar 2014 at 10:39
Print Post  
If Robin had done this movie before Insomnia, I think he'd been in line for an Oscar nomination, because it was SUCH a contrast to the characters he usually played, at least upto that point in his career! The character he played in Insomnia really creeped me out! this character intrigued me. Robin Williams is just a big kid at heart(If you want proof, watch Inside The Actor's Studio with Wms. as guest), that's why he's so good at the rolls he does.

Robin's oldest Son got in trouble at school once for telling an inappropriate joke, when asked where he heard it, he said his Dad told it to him! Williams was called "into" the Principal's office for this! Wink  This movie is definately worth the time to watch, just for Williams performance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print