Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Cistern, The (2001) (Read 8,018 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Cistern, The (2001)
20. Sep 2002 at 12:02
Print Post  

Akrovates Tou Kipou is a Greek film which was released at the end of last year in its home country. Its English title is "The Cistern". Information on this film has been difficult to find. The best review I could come up with comes from the European film promotion website. The official website is useful only to download the trailer (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  
If you take the time to do this, I think this film will be on your wish list too.

One of the most-anticipated Greek debuts of last year, Hristos Dimas' "The Cistern" takes potentially kidpic material and spins a tale loaded with political resonance, warm human observation and semi-mystical moments. Setting is helmer's birthplace Elefsis (an outer suburb of Athens) in 1974 and on the surface the movie is a last-summer-of-childhood exercise, with a group of 11-year-old boys fooling around, challenging each other to diving dares in a concrete water cistern, and playing soccer and other such pastimes. Meanwhile, the adults cope with greater problems like the Turkish invasion of Cyprus. Unstated background to the whole movie is the period of military rule in Greece (1967-74), a time when the country went into a kind of weird social stasis.
-----------------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 17:36 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Akrovates Tou Kipou (2001)
Reply #1 - 21. Sep 2002 at 03:40
Print Post  
I couldn't get the page with the trailer to open, Zabladowski. It does look like an interesting movie, though. Thanks for sharing it with us. Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 25. Sep 2002 at 01:13
Print Post  
The Greek Film Centre website is back up! :bigok:

This means the links for the trailers for The Canary Yellow Bicycle, To Fos Pou Svinei, Peppermint, To Monon Tis Zois Tou Taxidio and this film are all working again.

Remember that unlike some websites, the trailers offered here are downloadable even if you don't have streambox. I figure if we can't get the whole movie, at least we can have a sample.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 25. Sep 2002 at 10:34
Print Post  
Okay, I found The Cistern, Canary Yellow Bicycle, and Peppermint. Thanks! Anyone who goes looking for a trailer to download should go armed with the year that it was produced. Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 05. Apr 2003 at 04:42
Print Post  
I taped this film from cable tv a few days ago..  the caps I made were pretty grainy so I reduced them to size where they seem to look ok.

The movie is very good... light and breezy in parts but quite tragic in other parts. Worth watching.

---------
images expired
« Last Edit: 16. Feb 2004 at 22:21 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #5 - 05. Apr 2003 at 10:06
Print Post  
Ewww, all of those references to being eaten!

It looks delicious. :biggrin:

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05. Apr 2003 at 10:56
Print Post  
Late childhood - early adolescence ... beautiful time of life if there's a network of loving family and friends.

Those are wonderful portrayals of that time of life. Can't vouch for the movie, as I haven't seen it, but the captures show a fine spirit of youth.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Cistern, The (2001)
Reply #7 - 10. Jun 2011 at 21:47
Print Post  
Smiley I saw this movie this evening. I very liked the play of Michalis EVRIPIOTIS in part of Aaron, Giogos PAPAS in part of Stélios and all others boys actors. My movie rating is of 7/10 !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print