Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Dokomademo ikô (Don't Look Back) (1999) (Read 6,177 times)
socksoles
Silver Member

Dokomademo ikô (Don't Look Back) (1999)
15. Oct 2002 at 16:55
Print Post  

I just received the VHS copy of this movie that I ordered in Japan. Haven't had the chance to look at it but the movie looks very promising.

Below is a description of the movie I found on the net:

It is really appealing that this film shows more of the sorrow and depression of children than their vitality and cheerfulness. A10-year-old, fifth-grade boy already has even more complicated emotional worries than an adult. And more than that, he tries to resolve problems all by himself without asking his parents or teachers. He is more determined and independent than an adult and one could say it's marvelous. However, it makes us wonder if all of today's children are growing up that way -- in silence.

In this film, the twilight scenes are really impressive.

In ordinary films dealing with children, the energetic kids are placed under bright sunlight. Director Akihiko Shioda, however, often places the main character, Akira, and other children under the dim light of twilight.

Akira and his friend Koichi are walking home on a straight road by a river at dusk, all tired after playing. The camera follows a back view of the two boys going away. Do they have a certain place to be once they go home?

Nomura, who is good at making plastic models and to whom Akira gets close, dies suddenly. Akira doesn't know how to deal with the shock and keeps walking around town at dusk. A child is wandering around alone in the spooky twilight time. You can feel his speechless sorrow and regret -- it is almost painful. Daytime is over, but nighttime hasn't started. You can only see this child's melancholy during the short and fleeting twilight time.

At the end, Akira and Koichi who once quarreled get together again and launch fireworks along a riverside. It is again twilight. The twilight scene in this film is really beautiful.

Akira is often alone. He is removed from a group and sits down by himself in a field at an apartment complex. He walks around town by himself. He plays at the riverside alone.

There are not too many movies that describe a solitary child. It is almost better to call them an "individual" rather than a "child."

The reason Akira becomes friendly with a quiet lonely boy, Nomura, is not only because they both share a common passion over plastic models, but also because they feel intuitively that they are both "individuals" apart from their peers.

The scene of Nomura sketching at the park is also quite impressive. Nomura is sketching alone by the pond. The camera shows his back. Then Akira approaches. They both feel some kind of affection, but Akira leaves Nomura alone to be by himself, too. This is in contrast with girls who always form groups.

The way a back view of the children is repeatedly shown gives us sorrow. When Akira invites Nomura over to his room and they fly a paper plane from the window together, it should be the happiest moment for them. And yet, the camera shows the view from behind once again.

At the end, Akira tries to recover from the shock over Nomura's death and goes to the field, his favorite place, by himself. Again, the camera shows a back view of him. It shows that even a 10-year-old child has a back view. No adult can approach to this "individual."

The picture Nomura was drawing is displayed at an exhibition. When a close-up of the picture is shown, you see a depiction of Akira and Nomura running around a pond. I wonder if these "individuals" can play as a "child" only in a picture or a dream. Then, all of a sudden, the paradoxical title of "Dokomademo ikou (Don't Look Back)" struck me, and I couldn't stop crying.

I ordered the VHS movie through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) There are a number of things though that you should keep in mind. Ordering the movie was quite expensive (US$ 45.84 including shipping to Europe), not sure if the movie is in PAL or NTSC (almost all text on the box is Japanese) and the movie has no subtitles. On the other hand the service of the website was quite good, the website is in English and the movie looks very promising.

After I watched the movie I will tell you if it was really worth buying.....

'soles'
----------------------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:18 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Dokomademo ikô (Don't look Back) (Japan 1999)
Reply #1 - 16. Oct 2002 at 11:46
Print Post  
thanks soles,

This one looks really interesting. There is a user comment on this movie on IMDb from someone living in Canda so hopefully there is an English subtitle version. The 1999 date is not very encouraging though  Sad

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #2 - 16. Oct 2002 at 13:09
Print Post  
Your review made me want to see that so much!

Let us know as soon as you view it!

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 16. Oct 2002 at 20:04
Print Post  
Fifth grade Japanese boys are certainly wonderful!

Some of them are very open and affectionate, unlike the story told in this movie. Somewhat quiet, but oh, so sweet.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 19. Oct 2002 at 13:14
Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestion. This is a movie I have never heard of before. I look forward to reading your review after you get a chance to see it.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #5 - 21. Oct 2002 at 15:06
Print Post  
Oh, how I love the internet by times..... So many opportunities, so many new options, other than just the Hollywood movies or local movies in the cinemas and on VHS or DVD.

Dokomademo ikô is such an opportunity. An ordinary movie about an ordinary boy's life. But special because made in Japan and giving us an insight in Japanese ordinary life. It's striking to see that a boy's life doesn't differ much from a boy's life somewhere else. Same routine (school, play, house), same emotions (friendship, love, death). But again: the Japanese environment makes it quite special.

The story is about a boy, Akira, who befriends with a boy that is not so popular and quite a loner, Nomura. The friendship doesn't last long, because Nomura suddenly dies. Well, that's the story in a nutshell. The description that I took from the web earlier says it much better that I can do.

I watched the movie without subtitles and I must say: it didn't bother me at all. The scenes are easy to follow and the situations are so universal that words are not really necessary.

Great, modest movie, movie-rating: 9/10, boy-rating: 8/10.

'soles'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print