Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Emil und die Detektive (2001) (Read 3,899 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Emil und die Detektive (2001)
19. Oct 2002 at 14:06
Print Post  

Emil und die Detektive (Emil and the Detectives) has been made into a movie five times. This is the most recent version. Walt Disney released a version in 1964 with Bryan Russell and Roger Mobley starring. In this version Mr. Mobley's role is played by a girl. :shocked:
Despite this, the film still appears to be worth seeing.
Tobias Retzlaff and Maximilian Befort are boy actors who have prominent roles. The synopsis provided appears courtesy of Bavaria Film International's website (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Twelve year old Emil and his father are haunted by bad luck: first Emil's mother decamps for Canada, then his father is fired from work, and then, to add insult to injury, he's so excited about a new job offer that he has a car accident and loses his health and his license. But it gets even worse: to take a break from all those disasters, Emil is allowed to spend a few days with a friend of the family, the female priest Hummel in Berlin. In the train he runs across the slick Max Grundeis who anaesthetizes Emil and steals his savings of 1500 DM. When he finally arrives in Berlin, Emil and a gang of street kids lead by the cheeky girl Pony Hütchen try to find the gangster, who haunts the posh Hotel Adlon as a hotel thief. Meanwhile, to prevent anyone from finding out about Emil's mishap, Gypsi, a member of the gang of kids, passes himself off as Emil, thus wreaking havoc on the home of the priest.
----------------------
images expired
« Last Edit: 26. Feb 2004 at 05:21 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #1 - 19. Oct 2002 at 14:23
Print Post  
This is one of the many movies that are waiting on my bookshelves, waiting to be seen. I
promise I will write a review on this one after I have seen it.

The DVD R2 can be ordered at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) No English subtitles however, but many
extra's like 'The Making of..' and part of the audition of Tobias Retzlaff.

'soles'
-------------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 26. Feb 2004 at 05:22 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 19. Oct 2002 at 21:15
Print Post  
That blond boy is amazingly beautiful! Too bad there are no English subtitles for this one. No matter how appealing a film might be visually, I just can't bring myself to pay for a movie I won't understand when there are so many others that I could appreciate with subtitles or in a language I know. Sad.

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Re: Emil und die Detektive (2001)
Reply #3 - 19. Oct 2009 at 21:40
Print Post  
I just watched the 1931 and 1954 German adaptations. Especially the latter version is absolutely beautiful with plenty of awesome boys (and stunning color footage from post-war Berlin).

I need to get hold of the 2001 version for a proper comparison.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print