Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Northfork (2003) (Read 8,649 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Northfork (2003)
03. Feb 2003 at 06:29
Print Post  

The film "Northfork" was screened at Sundance, Ebert & Roeper mentioned it.  See the press kit at the (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (under construction).  Supposed to open June 20, but probably only in a few cities.

Here is newcomeer Duel Farnes as Irwin...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

He said the WORST thing about the role was being kissed by Darryl Hannah, since boys aren't supposed to like girls.
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 19:06 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

kidflix

Northfork
Reply #1 - 13. Feb 2003 at 12:32
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads-up! Looks interesting.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Northfork
Reply #2 - 14. Feb 2003 at 05:29
Print Post  
cut & paste from:

The Great Fall Tribune

Movie 'extra' special for kids

They're gorgeous kids. And I've never met so many well-behaved children.

By KATIE OYAN
KATIE OYAN Tribune Staff Writer

A part in "Northfork" was just what the doctor ordered for one 9-year-old from Simms.
Matthew Stark was one of about a dozen local children cast as orphans and students in the independent movie that finished filming in Great Falls this week.

A third-grader at Fort Shaw Elementary, Matthew was diagnosed with cancer in September 1999 and went into remission in October 2000.

Doctors were able to remove the tumor behind his right eye, but Matthew still has trouble focusing. "His brain read that there was an abnormality and shut it off," said his mom, Sherilyn Stark.

Because of that, catching fly balls and shooting baskets can be challenging.

"We haven't found anything that he can really participate in because of the vision problem," Sherilyn Stark said. "Every time we tried to get him into something, it's like 'This isn't quite right.'"

Since Matthew used his natural acting skills to withstand chemotherapy and fight cancer, his parents thought "Northfork" might be right up his alley.

"You have to be an actor to get through it," Sherilyn Stark said. "It's a 'fake it so you make it' kind of thing."

She added that she hopes the "Northfork" experience met Matthew's expectations. "It might just be a one-shot, two-hour thing, and it might get cut from the movie," she said. "I'm trying not to build his expectations too high."

Matthew and the other young "Northfork" extras spent much of Monday at the former C.M. Russell Elementary School on the city's far west side, filming and waiting to film a show-and-tell scene with 8-year-old Duel Farnes of Ennis, who was cast in a lead role.

Other area extras were Ashley Judd, 9, of Stockett, and James Pope, 9, of Belt. Great Falls extras were Brenton Gabriel, 7; Jack Boes, 9; Emily Boes, 8; Dezeray Brasda, 9; Bowan Peters, 9; Jacob Oberholtzer, 8; Joey Markin, 9; Kelly Preston, 11; Whitney Chevalier, 8; and 8-year-old twins Spencer and Emily McAvoy.

Bozeman casting agent Tina Buckingham said the group was picked from more than 150 kids from the Great Falls and Bozeman areas.

Monday's extras were a hit, said Mark Polish, who wrote the "Northfork" screenplay with his brother Michael.

"Every one was unique and special and had unique faces," Polish said. "They're gorgeous kids. And I've never met so many well-behaved children."

"Northfork," set in 1955, centers on an orphan named Irwin, played by Farnes, and a group of residents forced to move their homes to make way for a new dam.

Monday's extras wore neutral-colored 1940s and '50s vintage outfits gleaned from thrift shops and rental houses all over the country.

"It's all period-genuine, from the shoes to the shirts," costume designer Danny Glicker said.

The kids were "exceptionally polite and well-behaved" during costuming, Glicker said.

"I love the kids," he said. "I think they look great."

André Blaise styled their hair. Most of the kids simply got some gelling and combing, but Spencer McAvoy got the razor.

"He wasn't expecting to have his head shaved," said his mom, Amber McAvoy, adding that she didn't mind the new look. "It'll grow back," she said.

Spencer's sister, Emily, also was an actor for a day Monday. Amber McAvoy got the tip at a beauty salon that "Northfork" needed young extras and thought it would be something her twins would enjoy.

"It's exciting," she said. "It's something none of us has ever gotten to do."

Joey Markin, a third-grader at Our Lady of Lourdes, said the best part of being an extra was the free snacks. The worst part was the wool pants.

"I got my hair done, and I got these weird clothes that are hot," he said. "And I was nervous at first, because one person got his hair shaved."

His mom, Stephanie Markin, said she thought performing in "Northfork" would be a memorable experience for Joey.

"I grew up in L.A. where it happens a lot," Markin said. "But not everyone in Great Falls gets to do this. It's something we'll definitely put in the scrapbook."

Emily Boes planned to use the $50 she earned as an extra Monday to fix a couple of her parents' garage-door windows she broke with a tennis ball.

Her brother, Jack, said some of his earnings would go toward new Game Boy games. "And I'm going to put the leftovers in my bank," he said.

Bowan Peters likes acting but wants to be a scientist when he grows up. Even so, he skipped a field trip to Benton Lake Monday for his big-screen debut.

His parents, Colleen and Michael Peters, went to the set with him. Colleen said she learned about the part from a newspaper ad.

"He's kind of a ham at home," she said. "I asked him if he'd like to do it, and he said sure."

Lynae Oberholtzer also left the decision to her son Jacob. "I just mentioned it, and he said he wanted to do it. He said, 'Mom, call.'"

Belt resident Amy Pope also accompanied her son, James, to the set.

"I knew he'd enjoy it and wouldn't be shy about it," she said. "It's fun being here and seeing how all this works. I wish I was James when I was a kid."

James has performed in a few plays, but when he grows up he'd rather be an artist or an architect than an actor.

Dezeray Brasda of Great Falls spent her down time Monday helping Farnes with his math homework.

The third-grader from Mountain View Elementary School said acting in "Northfork" was fun, but she wasn't crazy about her costume.

"I'm not really a dress person," Dezeray said. "I'll wear them if I have to, but I'm more of a pants person."

Her mother, Ida Brasda, was Daryl Hannah's stand-in.

Michelle Judd's daughter was destined to be an extra. She already has a movie star name.

When little Ashley Judd becomes famous, they'll have to use her middle name to distinguish her from the other Ashley Judd, of "Double Jeopardy" and "Eye of the Beholder" fame, Ashley's mom, Michelle Judd, said. "We've been teasing her that she's the movie star now."

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Northfork
Reply #3 - 18. Aug 2003 at 20:13
Print Post  
This movie is playing in theatres in the US in limited release. Has anyone else seen it?

I thought this was one strange movie. Imagine David Lynch teaming with the Zucker Brothers to get an idea. There is plenty of Duel Farnes in the movie and some truly tender scenes with Duel and Nick Nolte.

This is one of those films that I think everyone should see, even though I'm sure not everyone will enjoy it.

Movie Rating 7/10. Boy movie Rating 8/10

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 19. Aug 2003 at 13:07
Print Post  
Thanks for bringing this one back up, Zab. I don't know how I missed this thread before. Must have been out of town. :erm:

I haven't seen it, but your assessment of it makes me want to.  Smiley

That was a good article you posted about it, too, Cal. Thanks to you and hosenhaus, and now Zab, for making sure we don't overlook it!

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #5 - 04. Jan 2004 at 12:57
Print Post  
Now out on DVD...

with commentary and behind-the-scenes documentary.
No deleted scenes, though, so that classroom scene does not exist.
« Last Edit: 08. Feb 2009 at 01:51 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 09. Jan 2004 at 03:22
Print Post  

hosenhaus,

Thanks for the extra pics.

How did you rate this movie?
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 19:06 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #7 - 09. Jan 2004 at 15:29
Print Post  
NORTHFORK is my favorite movie of 2003.

I think your plot description is wrong:
It is set in 1955.
Irwin the last boy in the orphanage and the evacuation of the town both take place then.
Irwin is not exactly comatose, although he is feverish, and sleeps most of the time.

Father Harlan does tell stories of the past to the boy.  Such as the legend that angels roamed the plains thereabouts in the early 1800s.  Everything around him (including the stories) are incorporated into Irwin's fevered dreams.

Here's a web site with some pictures...

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 11. Jan 2004 at 09:52
Print Post  
hmmm, well I got the synopsis from IMBd   Sad

I've changed it now...  I've use part of the synopsis from the movies official site.

Thanks for the pic link too.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Northfork (2003)
Reply #9 - 09. Nov 2013 at 21:18
Print Post  

Smiley I saw this movie this evening. I liked the play of Duel FARNES in the difficult part of Irwin. My movie rating is 6/10.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print