Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Return to Innocence (Read 11,390 times)
kidflix

Return to Innocence
13. Feb 2003 at 04:39
Print Post  

Not too sure how many people are aware of this movie, but I wanted to share a great review on it from a film festival program. I for one am awaiting the dvd release in a few months.

Festival Films – Reviews – Return to Innocence
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Director Rocky Costanzo, in his debut feature film, has dared to expose an issue that most of us would rather sweep under the carpet. This is the first film to truly identify pedophilia in its broadness, actually separating the sexual predator from the loving, caring “boylover.” Glen Erskine (Richard Meese) is a child psychologist who is caught in the biggest pickle of his life. The accusation against him of molesting a young boy is something he is not prepared to handle. It is this dilemma that brings out the message behind the title. As worded by Erskine's lawyer; "Once you're accused of molesting a child, there simply is no return to innocence."

Worth noting is the choice of music. Composer, Orren Merton uses a haunting rhythm throughout the length of the picture that really seems to pull you into the story. It is quite obvious by the close-up camera shots, dark music, and the black & white element itself, that Costanzo wanted the story to standout and play the main role. He definitely accomplishes this.

Those of you brave and lucky enough to see this film will be treated to a distinctive, thought-provoking coming-of-age film with strong performances by Richard Meese and Andrew Martin. The two carry the film so well that you almost forget about the independent "look" of the film. Return to Innocence is not an “Oscar” film by any means. But it is intelligent and honest and definitely worth a look. A great "first" film for a young director and should play well in the art-houses.
« Last Edit: 07. Mar 2004 at 03:43 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Review: Return to Innocence
Reply #1 - 13. Feb 2003 at 07:55
Print Post  
welcome to BA kidflix,

Do you know for sure that it's coming out on DVD?
That's good news if it is...  a lot of little independent movies like this seem to vanish into obscurity and most of us never get much of a chance to see them.

We did have a thread on this film a few months ago (I think) but it's good to keep reminding people about them.

There is an official site for the move here:

IP Logged

kidflix

Reply #2 - 13. Feb 2003 at 12:41
Print Post  
Do you know for sure that it's coming out on DVD?

According to this page it is.

And I have already ordered it on Amazon, so it better be coming out.

Only problem (for some) is that it is only on Region 1, but there are ways around that.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
Ex Member

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #3 - 13. Feb 2003 at 13:59
Print Post  
Hi kidflix.  Nice to meet you Smiley  Thanks for posting this - it sure looks interesting and I would love to have it.  Ohhh, my wallet is so thin these days!

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 13. Feb 2003 at 18:22
Print Post  
Am I going insane?

I seem to remember that someone else announced this was coming out on DVD recently. Zabladowski replied by saying he was happy to learn that and someone else did... Could it have been one of the threads lost from teh General Discussion forum? Or have I been halucinating again?

:abduct:

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #5 - 13. Feb 2003 at 19:52
Print Post  
Joseph,

If you're going insane you have some company. I remember that other thread as well. (and even if we're both nuts, I'm still glad to hear about this film and it's impending release)   :1roll:

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #6 - 13. Feb 2003 at 23:59
Print Post  
Must have been a thread on B.O.Y.S. BTW: pre-ordering through the official website (see kidflix' post) saves you $3.50.

'soles' Smiley

IP Logged

kidflix

Reply #7 - 14. Feb 2003 at 03:56
Print Post  
Unfortunately, I didn't catch the reduced price when I placed my order.  Good catch, socksoles!

As far as threads go, this is my first post on the movie. Although I have seen info on other sites.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #8 - 14. Feb 2003 at 06:17
Print Post  
You have the option to cancel your order with Amazon and place your order somewhere else..... might be worth doing!

'soles'

IP Logged

kidflix

Reply #9 - 18. Feb 2003 at 17:01
Print Post  
Thank you, Soles!  I did just that.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Re: Review: Return to Innocence
Reply #10 - 11. Dec 2003 at 10:34
Print Post  
I finally watched this movie today and must say that I was a bit disappointed. Perhaps because I expected too much of it.

The subject of the movie is a very sensitive issue and the makers should be complimented for bringing such an issue to the attention of the public. However the story is very simple and, like (almost all) normal Hollywood movies, with a happy end, in which everybody loves each other again and problems are easily forgiven and forgotten. While this is just one of these issues in which things are not so easy to deal with and to understand and not a matter of good or bad or black and white. And to me it seems like a missed opportunity that Return to Innocence didn't have that nuance in it. Although it's easy for me to say as simply a person that watched the movie.

Speaking about black and white: the movie was made in black and white and most times the camerawork was pretty dark and shady. I guess this must have been done deliberately, but the reason for doing this is like a big question mark to me and after a while I even got annoyed by this effect.

Nevertheless: as I said, I deeply respect the makers for making this movie and bringing the issue of child abuse to our attention. It certainly put my own mind at work again and personally I think it's a good thing if moviemakers succeed in doing just that!

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #11 - 11. Dec 2003 at 21:54
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing your opinion of this one with us, Socksoles. Like you, I had high hopes for this one, so it's likely that I will also be disappointed if and when I get to finally see it.

I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I agree with what you say about the importance of nuancing these kinds of movies so they don't seem so simplistic. That was in part what I felt was so amazing about L.I.E., for example, another movie that deals with a (totally different but) similarly sensitive issue. It avoided easy answers or cheap resolutions to what are obviously very complex issues.

I still look forward to seeing this one, so I can judge for myself. But I'm a little less enthusiastic about it than I was.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #12 - 11. Dec 2003 at 22:47
Print Post  
Your opinion is similar to mine 'soles. The acting is so wooden it was hard for me to get into the story.
But I give it an E for earnestness and effort.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #13 - 11. Dec 2003 at 23:01
Print Post  
I saw it a few months ago, and all I can say is "ditto".

Can I say that word here?   Roll Eyes

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Retroman

BA Member

Re: Return to Innocence
Reply #14 - 17. Apr 2004 at 02:04
Print Post  
I really enjoyed the movie, but I don't know too much about acting and making of movies. I only know what I like. This movie kept me entertained throughout and I liked all the boys in it.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print