Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Fallen Idol, The (1948) (Read 7,411 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Fallen Idol, The (1948)
15. Apr 2003 at 09:04
Print Post  

I've watched this movie several times over a period of many years and it's still as good each time.

Bobby Henrey is excellent as the disillusioned boy and Ralph Richardson is perfect as the boy's 'idol'. The story is from famous writer Graham Greene. Master filmmaker Carol Reed is the director, he made such classics as "Oliver" (the 1968 musical), "Mutiny on the Bounty", and one of my all time favourite films "The Third Man."

cut & paste review:

Carol Reed's The Fallen Idol was loosly adapted from the Graham Greene story The Basement Room, it's told almost completely from a child's eye view - Philippe (Bobby Henrey), eight-year-old son of an ambassador in London, is left for a weekend in the care of the butler Baines and his stern housekeeper-wife (Sonia Dresdel). Baines, whom Philippe hero-worships, is in love with Julie (Michele Morgan), a typist at the embassy. The little boy follows the lovers to a tea shop and overhears their decision to part, as the future can hold no happiness for them. Mrs Baines tricks him into repeating the conversation; later he hears a violent quarrel between husband and wife.

While spying on Julie, Mrs Baines falls to her death from a window above the stone hall. Terrified, the boy runs into the street in his pyjamas when the police bring him back, he tries to shield his hero, who is suspected of murder. The police find a clue, however, which, even though they misinterpret it, leads them to exonerate the butler. Philippe now finds that though they believed him when he lied, they will not listen to his truthful explanation of the clue.

His disillusionment is completed by the realisation that Baines had lied to him, with stories of an adventurous life, merely to entertain him. Indeed, his world seems to be crashing about him. Then the ambassador and his wife return. With the resilience of youth, Philippe’s doubts and dismay are forgotten in the joy of having his mother and father home again.
-------------------------
images moved to gallery
« Last Edit: 05. Jul 2008 at 21:49 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

YoungArthur
Ex Member

Hagrid's Helper

The Fallen Idol (1948)
Reply #1 - 15. Apr 2003 at 09:59
Print Post  
Lord, that boy is cute.  Beautiful hair.  I don't recall ever seeing this one.

Carol Reed must have had a special fondness for light reflected off a cobbled street Smiley  "The Third Man' is one I watch whenever I can, too. 

You seem to get better movies on Fox that we do Sad

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

The Fallen Idol (1948)
Reply #2 - 15. Apr 2003 at 14:34
Print Post  
What great pics!  I must find that movie somewhere!

And the boy does a great "Mac Culkin" also!!
----------------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 07. Mar 2004 at 01:02 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

wwaabbiitt
Silver Member

The Fallen Idol (1948)
Reply #3 - 15. Apr 2003 at 23:06
Print Post  
Thanks!

Is it just me, or is there something about black & white CAPS (and photography) that is, well, errr, "better?"

Though I wouldn't say that about black and white movies versus in-color movies ("colored" didn't sound right).

And no, I'm not THAT old.  I've got in-color photos and video of me as a little kid.  (nevermind some families transfer their color 8-mm/16-mm films to video!!!)

Correction, MikeZ:  "Mac Culkin" does a great Bobby Henrey!  Smiley

Nice knees in pics 9, 13, and 22...not that I count such pics or anything weird like that.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Fallen Idol, The (1948)
Reply #4 - 08. Mar 2014 at 16:42
Print Post  
Smiley I saw this enough good movie this afternoon. I liked very much the very good and moving play of Bobby HENREY in part of Philippe. My movie rating is 7/10.

IP Logged

Itsy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08. Mar 2014 at 22:01
Print Post  
Yes, a great movie. Also available on Blu-Ray. Bobby Henry is lovely.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 08. Mar 2014 at 22:03
Print Post  
Smiley  Thanks, Itsy, about the pic.Bobby HENREY is very great in part of Philippe !

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #7 - 08. Mar 2014 at 23:49
Print Post  
Yes, this is a very good film

I liked it very much

Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1