Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Flower and Garnet (2002) (Read 3,971 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Flower and Garnet (2002)
11. Jun 2003 at 21:52
Print Post  

Flower and Garnet
imdb: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
more info/pics: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I mentioned this one before. It's a Canadian film that played in a few festivals last year and was recently released in theatres in Canada only. I saw it a couple of months ago and forgot to mention it again until now.

I really hope it gets released on DVD, cause the film was good and would interest a lot of our members, I'm sure. It might also play on TV one of these days. I'm sure it will play in Canada, but I don't know about the rest of the world.

The film is about Garnet, played perfectly by nine-year-old Colin Roberts (who was nominated for an award for his performance). Garnet's mother died shortly after giving birth to him, and this tragedy has shed a shadow over all of Garnet's life. His father never got over the loss of his wife, and Garnet feels like he is blaming him for her death. While his father is probably not stupid enough for that, his emotional scars have prevented him from providing Garnet with the love and attention he needed.

The only person who has cared for Garnet throughout his life is his older sister, Flower. She has been like a mother to him all his life. But now Flower is at a point in her life where she needs to start thinking about herself and her future, and she can't go on being a mother to him anymore.

The film deals with Garnet's sense of isolation and fear of losing the only person that he cares for. It's not exactly a cheerful film. The issues it deals with are all fairly dark and treated seriously. But I wouldn't go so far as to call it bleak

I enjoyed this film a lot. Very emotionally involving and well done from all perspectives. It's a fascinating portrait of a quiet and lonely boy who is going through some tough experiences. What he's going through is mostly internal - things that are going on in his head - and the character doesn't really talk much about what he's feeling. So it's really saying a lot about the director's ability to communicate emotions without using much dialogue, as well as about the actor's talent. Colin Roberts is a wonderful young actor and I really hope we get to see him in other films soon. He totally deserved that award he was nominated for.

Hope you get to see this film one day. Don't miss it if you ever get the chance.

--------------------------
image expired
« Last Edit: 03. Jul 2008 at 03:58 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Flower and Garnet
Reply #1 - 11. Jun 2003 at 22:15
Print Post  

I have been on the lookout for this movie since I read about it in the catalog of last year's Montreal fest.

Hopefully some day it will be made available to the American market.
« Last Edit: 03. Jul 2008 at 03:58 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Flower and Garnet
Reply #2 - 11. Jun 2003 at 22:28
Print Post  
nice! i didn't even realize we had a profile for it. that's a nice pic on the profile page.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Flower and Garnet
Reply #3 - 12. Jun 2003 at 01:59
Print Post  
Thanks for mentioning this movie. Sounds like a very interesting one. Haven't found the DVD so far but will keep on looking.

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Re: Flower and Garnet
Reply #4 - 20. Sep 2003 at 12:59
Print Post  
R1 DVD has finally been announced and will be released on October 28. DVD can be pre-ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Flower and Garnet
Reply #5 - 20. Sep 2003 at 13:04
Print Post  
Excellent! Thanks for the heads up, Socksoles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print