Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic put the camera on me (Read 3,044 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

put the camera on me
02. Aug 2003 at 07:28
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: put the camera on me
Reply #1 - 02. Aug 2003 at 14:01
Print Post  
That's a very interesting article, and interview, aaaa.  I'd enjoy seeing this one, I'm sure!  I think someone might have mentioned this one here before, but the article from the Guardian was new to me, so I hadn't read it if it was posted before. Smiley

For those who don't go to links, I'll just repeat this small portion of Josh Kun's article here.  Josh Kun was a classmate of the producer of this documentary.

Filmmaker Darren Stein, who knew he was gay when he was my high school classmate, talks about his own campus harassment in his new documentary, Put the Camera on Me, which is making the national festival circuit.

Put the Camera on Me pulls together all of the videos he directed as a kid [from ages 8-15], from campy Holocaust reenactments in which he and his neighborhood friends role-play as dying Jews and S.S. officers (all dressed in the same tight white underwear) to "Gay as a Whistle," in which they find a magic coin that turns straight football players into screaming queens. The films are incredible portraits of masculinity being made and unmade during an adolescence willfully caught on tape. Straight boys and gay boys romp around with their shirts off, bodies wiggling, playing with fake blood and competing for starring roles.

It's a shame Put the Camera on Me is out at the same time as the press-grabbing Capturing the Friedmans, a far more sensationalist film about (suburban Jewish) masculinity that is also structured around the analysis of home movies. Where Friedmans is suffocating and coercive, Put the Camera on Me is freeing. Stein made his movies because he wanted people to see them (especially his parents), because directing movies was (and still is, I imagine) his way of directing his own life.

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 02. Aug 2003 at 14:04
Print Post  
I agree. This one sounds fascinating. I love home-movies and I really hope I get a chance to see Put the Camera on Me (as well as Capturing the Friedmans, actually).

Official website: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IMDb: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 03. Aug 2003 at 01:50
Print Post  
Ditto.

..they sound like they were pretty brave kids to me.

Growing up 'different'..  prolly the greatest fear that any kid has is 'being different'.

I admire kids who defy those restrictions.

Both those films look very interesting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print