Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic There's only one Jimmy Grimble (2000) (Read 4,711 times)
mbch331
Platinum Member

There's only one Jimmy Grimble (2000)
17. Aug 2003 at 02:19
Print Post  
There's only one Jimmy Grimble (2000)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Jimmy Grimble ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) is a shy 15 year old boy who is subject to bullying by other boys from his school. When nobody is watching Jimmy is an excellent soccer player, however when somebody is watching he can't play soccer at all.
One day he sees an announcment for soccer trials and decides to cover it so nobody else sees it. At the soccer trials he discovers that he is part of the team just for showing up. (The team exists of 12 persons.) One day when he is bullied again he hides in an abandoned building and meets an old woman who gives him shoes of a soccer player from his favourite team. He throws away his shoes, but when one of his fellow team mates throws away his shoes just before they leave for the game Jimmy decides to take the shoes from the old woman. During the match Jimmy has te be a substitute for one of his injured team mates and gets the ball. When he sees his opponents coming to him he decides to give the ball a kick. Then a miracle happens. The impossible thing becomes possible: Jimmy scores from a non-scoring position. Jimmy then returns to the old woman for the name of the soccer player who previously owened the shoes: Robbie Brewer. He discovers that the previous owner is not that famous as he thought.
The school year progresses and Jimmy and his team are winning one match after another and they reach the finals. The final match will be played in the stadium of Jimmy's favourite team: Manchester City's Maine Road Stadium. But then the worst thing possible happens: Jimmy loses his shoes.
Will they win the match, will Jimmy discover who the mysterious Robbie Brewer is and will Jimmy play the final match?
For answers watch the movie.
Some sub plots in the movie: His mother's new boyfriend (Jimmy doesn't like him.), his mother's old boyfriend (Jimmy likes him, but he's married).
And Jimmy even falls in love with a new girl in school.

« Last Edit: 17. Aug 2003 at 08:11 by mbch331 »  
IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: There's only one Jimmy Grimble (2000)
Reply #1 - 17. Aug 2003 at 03:31
Print Post  
I think they're right. I've never heard of another Jimmy Grimble.  :erm:

Thanks for the review, mbch331.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 17. Aug 2003 at 03:42
Print Post  
i haven't seen that movie but the lad looks strikingly similar to wayne rooney when he was around 15.

for non-brits - wayne rooney is 17-year-old soccer sensation playing for everton soocer team.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 17. Aug 2003 at 10:36
Print Post  
mbch,

What was your impression of the movie? It hasn't been distributed in America at all, so I haven't seen it yet. I've done some searching and it appears it is available in Canada. Is it worth the additional expense to have this movie?

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 17. Aug 2003 at 12:29
Print Post  
[movie=1300]

Thanks mbch,

I've added a profile for this movie. I saw it a few months ago on TV but I felt it was one of those borderline movies where my interest fades.

The charater is '15 years old' which is the cut-off age for boy movies on the database so this one scrapes in by it's toenails.

As for the movie I thought it was fairly simplistic. If I recall correctly it was made by the same mob that did 'The Full Monty' so in that regard this movie is a disappointment and is nowhere nearly as good. It was pretty unrealistic and failed to deal with the real problems the boy faced.

IMO, movies like this that offer fantasy as a way of resolving life problems do nothing to help the very kids that characters like Jimmy are based on.

IP Logged

mbch331
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 17. Aug 2003 at 13:47
Print Post  
I liked the movie although there are a few details that could have been worked out better. I don't know if it's worth the extra expense. It depends on what you want in a movie. If you want a movie because of boyactors, my opinion would be not to buy it, because nearly all characters are at least Jimmy's age. I didn't care for the lack of realistic answers to Jimmy's problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print