Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Khaled (2001) (Read 3,716 times)
socksoles
Silver Member

Khaled (2001)
08. Sep 2003 at 13:23
Print Post  

Story
Ten year old Khaled lives with his mum in the outskirts of Toronto. His mum is seriously ill and way behind with paying the rent. Her social worker suggests for Khaled to go into foster care until things have straightened out. Then, one night, she suddenly dies. What to do? Khaled decides to do like his mum always tells him to do: “I keep to myself, don’t talk to anyone, don’t get mixed up, go to school.” And decides not to tell anyone.

The first days everything goes well. But then the building manager comes for the rent. And their social worker tries to get in touch in order to discuss foster care. And the smell of the dead body gets worse and worse. ‘I got to be more careful. Keep everything really clean’, Khaled summons himself. Finally he cannot keep up to the outside world and locks himself in the house but the situation is only getting worse.

There are still a few people Khaled can trust and rely on. A blind woman who lives in the apartment below and Ivan, a Russian boy he knows from school. Ivan tries to bring him some food but gets caught and beaten up by the building manager. It is the moment that Khaled for the first time lets go of his emotions and makes a new decision…

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Comments
A very impressing low budget movie. Good acting by Michael D’Ascenzo. The movie was filmed very down to earth with no extras. The only music that can be heard comes from a tape Khaled finds in his mum’s belongings together with letters and  a picture of his father. Arabian music.

The movie gives a good insight in how a young boy thinks and makes his decisions. And tries to keep his world as simple as possible. The fact that he didn’t show his emotions at all was very striking. But in the end he turns out to be who he really is: just a kid who needs friends, affection and care.

DVD R1
R1 DVD can be bought through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

‘soles’ :cwm39:
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:44 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Re: Review: Khaled (Canada, 2001)
Reply #1 - 08. Sep 2003 at 14:58
Print Post  
Must watch this one, I got it a while ago Smiley

Teddy Hugs

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09. Sep 2003 at 20:59
Print Post  
Looks like I'll have to see this one. Nothing breaks my heart like a boy with tears.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 10. Sep 2003 at 13:22
Print Post  
Thanks for the review soles... 

I'm still looking forward to seeing this one.

Zab did a review of this movie about a year ago

here it is:

I've linked both the threads to the movie's profile page
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:44 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print