Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) spellbound (Read 37,438 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

spellbound
20. Sep 2003 at 05:38
Print Post  
a chance to win tickets.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: spellbound
Reply #1 - 20. Sep 2003 at 22:43
Print Post  
Hey, I'll have to look for that one, aaaa.  Thanks!   Grin

From that link:

<i>Spellbound presents the suspenseful and often comical real-life experience of eight driven young spellers who compete for the top prize at the National Spelling Bee.

"The best movie of the year so far" Variety.</i>

You sure do come up with some good ones, aaaa. Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 03. Oct 2003 at 08:14
Print Post  
Attack of the spelling bees

America has fallen for a documentary about spelling. Shawn Levy explains why

Friday October 3, 2003
The Guardian

My people, the Americans, we bee. From the mountains to the prairies, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from the deserts that divide us from Mexico to the frozen lakes we share with Canada, our land hums with the sound of our bee-ing.
If you're puzzled by this, it is probably because you don't, as a people, bee. I thus refer you to the fourth definition of "bee" in the Oxford English Dictionary: "in allusion to the social character of the insect... a meeting of neighbours to unite their labours for the benefit of one of their number... usually preceded by a word defining the purpose of the meeting, as apple-bee, husking-bee, quilting-bee, raising-bee... hence, with extended sense, a gathering or meeting for some object." Bees traditionally involve folk crafts and chores and are thus more than merely social. As can be inferred by the Latin root, bene, a bee involves quilting, threshing, canning, spinning, logging or barn-raising for the common good. There is a moral dimension to bee-ing, a grand utility at work, the building blocks of the Golden Rule.

But there are other sorts of bees, insidious bees, excruciating bees, bees that devour the souls of those who take part in them - competitive bees. As anyone who sees Spellbound, the charming documentary by Jeffrey Blitz, can attest, there is perhaps nothing quite so harrowing in American life as our National Spelling Bee (unless, of course, it's our National Geography Bee, but I wander).

Each year, American cable TV viewers are privy to one of the most bizarre spectacles in the land. Scores of schoolchildren under the age of 16 gather in Washington DC, under the auspices of the Scripps-Howard newspaper chain, to face one another in a brutal one-false-step-and-you're-out derby of spelling. These prodigious youngsters have demonstrated their lexicographic prowess by vanquishing all comers in their local schools, cities, counties and states and now stand on the precipice of the grand prize - a college scholarship of more than $10,000.

At the big event, in the glaring lights of ESPN cameras, the contestants take turns stepping up to a microphone and listening as a stentorian voice assigns them a word to spell - complete with definition and, if they ask for it, language of origin and derivation. Without benefit of pencil or paper, they take a stab, and if they're right they survive for another round. Eventually, just two competitors stand against each other until one is able to spell some arcane word that the other cannot.

How arcane? The last five final-round winners were logorrhoea, démarche, succedaneum, prospicience and pococurante. Dunce - and crappy speller - that I am, only one of these (the first, for obvious reasons) declares its meaning to me. The others are, to my mind, a Dali-esque nightmare of double letters, i's-before-e's, foreign roots and the like. (To my shame and horror, and although these words are as alien to me as Aramaic, my spell-check just now balked at only one of them.)

Jeffrey Blitz happened to tune into the broadcast some half-dozen years ago and was enthralled by what he saw. Here in one ready-made package was all the drama a film-maker could ask for: children from all far-flung corners of the land, of all backgrounds and temperaments and dispositions, engaged in an objective competition that spoke to the secret fears we all harbour that we are morons unable to do something that is, to these savants, literally child's play.

The following year he tuned in again, this time with an eye toward identifying competitors who would still, due to their ages, have at least one more year of competition ahead of them. He contacted the families of several of these children and was allowed permission to follow the progress of eight of them from their local bees through to the big one. The choices are inspired and inspiring: among them a Mexican-American girl from rural Texas whose immigrant father can't speak English; a spunky African-American girl from a single-parent home in Washington DC; a nebbishy Jewish boy from a New Jersey suburb; a well-to-do Asian boy from San Diego whose father hires tutors to instruct his son in a variety of languages and pays a temple back home in India to say prayers on the day of the big bee; a taciturn midwest farm boy; a well adjusted New England girl whose sister has also been a top speller, and so on.

Right there, in this cunning casting process, Blitz reveals the singular charm of the National Spelling Bee. An old cliché of US democracy, sadly quashed by the ugly realpolitik of the 2000 election, holds that anyone born in America has a chance to be president. That's obviously a joke, but it remains true that any child, from any origin, armed with a dictionary and the will to memorise it, can rise to the top of the spelling pyramid. (That the current occupant of the White House couldn't make it out of a third-grade bee is, of course, a delicious corollary.) If Blitz never makes this point explicitly, it's patent in the rainbow coalition of faces that make up the film.

Likewise, he gets at another essential aspect of the American temperament in his depiction of the slavish preparation for the hellish pressure of the big bee itself. The human thirst for competition takes many quixotic forms - baccarat, sumo, the caber toss, quoits. But it's hard to believe that any of these provokes devotion more obsessive in its practitioners than spelling. Several of these children seem as dehumanised by the process of study as any teen tennis or figure-skating star ever was by dreams of Olympic gold - and, in some cases, as cruelly browbeaten into agony by a parent. Others seem to possess extraordinary abilities to memorise words as a fringe benefit - if that's what you would call it - of deep neuroses that will obviously hobble them to some degree for the rest of their lives. For the handful who seem able to take the experience in stride, we can, on the other hand, imagine the happiest of fates - even the presidency, should intellectual competence ever be deemed a prerequisite for the job.

As for what the devil the National Spelling Bee is doing on a cable sports network, Blitz has devised two ingenious montages that capture the heat, heartbreak and exultation of the event and stand as the twin highlights of the film. In one heart-rending sequence, one young competitor after another collapses into anguish as his or her effort to reproduce some bizarre permutation of letters fails; in the other, the ringing of the merry little hotel front desk bell that signals a successfully spelled word is greeted by the competitors with exultation, grins, sighs of blissful relief. It's a human spectacle of the sort that feature films can almost never deliver and documentaries have increasingly become our best chance to experience.

By the way, I've been talking about the spelling bee as a purely American phenomenon, but the fact is that it was the ancient Greeks who conceived the notion of word-based sporting competition when they included poetry in the original Olympic games. A damn fine idea it was, and one that ought to be revived. I can just see it now: Athens, 2004, the gold medal round. Andrew Motion against US poet laureate Louise Gluck - best three metaphors out of five. And, yes, spelling will count.

· Spellbound is released on October 10. Shawn Levy is film critic of the Oregonian and author of Rat Pack Confidential

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 05. Oct 2003 at 06:22
Print Post  

Strange phenomenon of a very American competition

FILM REVIEW

SPELLBOUND (U)
Director: Jeff Blitz
Running time: 97 minutes

EACH year in America, nine million schoolchildren compete in the first round of the National Spelling Bee. Two hundred and fifty of them will make it to the televised finals in Washington. Potential champions train their mind with the same diligence and commitment of an athlete preparing their body. Sacrifices are made. Dedication is required. If some had their way it would probably be considered an Olympic sport.

Oscar-nominated as Best Documentary, Spellbound follows the fate of eight finalists at the 1999 Spelling Bee final. Boys and girls from across America are united by a powerful determination to succeed and parents range from the indulgent to the frighteningly fanatical.

The eight children have all the quirks and eccentricities of characters in a Christopher Guest film like Best In Show. Hyperactive Harry from New Jersey is like a miniature Woody Allen. A letter-perfect speller who never stops talking, he seems more in need of help than the extra pressure of competition.

April from Pennsylvania is chilling in her dedication, spending eight to nine hours a day studying the dictionary during her summer holidays.

Gentle giant Ted looks like a serial killer in the making but has an IQ just short of genius and exudes a powerful sense of being isolated by his intellect. "I’m not that good at spelling," he insists. "I’m good at math." You feel that Ted deserves a documentary all to himself.

The first half of the film exerts a casual fascination as we get to know the eight competitors and their families and gain some sense of the very American phenomenon of finding intellectual excellence in the ability to spell words that most of us will rarely - if ever - use.

The winning word in 1999 was ‘logorrhea’ (Harry would have known that). The winning word this year was ‘pococurante’ which means indifferent. Can’t wait to work that into a review.

Jeff Blitz is very canny in the way he has shaped his material. By the time the documentary moves to the finals, we feel we know the competitors well.

We know their social circumstances and family backgrounds and what it would mean to win. We also know the effort it has taken in terms of time, toil and even extra coaching in foreign languages to gain an extra advantage. We have a great deal of sympathy for the bystander who finds the whole enterprise like some bizarre form of child abuse.

When the numbers dwindle and favourites fall by the wayside, Spellbound becomes a nailbiter.

At one point it looks as if Indian-American lad Neil will fail on the word Darjeeling and the cruel irony of it makes the heart stop.

Like so many of the best films this year, Spellbound proves that there is nothing more fascinating than ordinary life and real people.

On selected release from Friday including Glasgow Film Theatre and Edinburgh Filmhouse

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05. Oct 2003 at 10:43
Print Post  
"For the handful who seem able to take the experience in stride, we can, on the other hand, imagine the happiest of fates - even the presidency, should intellectual competence ever be deemed a prerequisite for the job."

I like that line!

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 05. Oct 2003 at 11:03
Print Post  
Smiley

I forgot to comment on this documentary, which I saw when it played here a few months ago. It's quite well-done and pleasant to watch. I think everyone here would enjoy it, so don't miss your chance to see it when it comes around.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 06. Oct 2003 at 00:25
Print Post  
I'm interested in seeing this film. I've been wondering if I should make a profile for it...  is there much boy content?  It's a bit hard to tell as there seems to be only one contestant that would fit the criteria for BA.

We have an annual spelling contest here in Oz that is televised..  well actually they only show an hour or so of highlights.  I'd love to see a lot more.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 06. Oct 2003 at 16:28
Print Post  
I think we should make a profile, Cal. There is only prominent contestant that fits into the gender/age group that is our focus. But there are a few other boys, although slightly older, and several girls. The documentary is so well made that I'm sure everyone would enjoy it, even if the boy content is not that high.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 16. Jan 2004 at 12:35
Print Post  
now - spellbound : the lolita remake!

wonder if they've cast new star yet?
------------
Fox Announces Casting Call for 'Bee Season'

Bee Season Productions has launched a nationwide search for a 10- to 11-year-old girl to star in Bee Season, which will be released by Twentieth Century Fox under the Fox Searchlight Banner. Based on the best-selling novel of the same name, the film will be directed by David Siegel and Scott McGehee, who previously helmed the critically acclaimed The Deep End. Mindy Marin is the casting director and Cathy Weiner is the casting assistant.

Casting will be for the part of Eliza, a Caucasian girl (Jewish father, Catholic mother) who is watchful and introverted, but has a certain grace; a girl who is shy with a hint of sadness in her eyes. In some ways, she is wise beyond her years but still a little girl. Eliza longs for her parents' approval and love, as well as their attention. Though she has long blended into the background, her life takes a dramatic turn when she is discovered to be a spelling bee whiz kid.

Eleven-year-old Eliza Naumann comes from an odd family that tends to divert emotional frustrations into secret channels. When she unexpectedly begins winning spelling bees, what had been a stable dynamic in the Naumann household becomes disrupted; long held secrets emerge and a latent spiritual yearning is awakened. As the national spelling bee nears, the Naumanns find themselves in a spiral of surprising discovery and jarring uncertainty.

Auditioners are instructed to create a VHS tape with the following contents:

Full shot of child that shows height
Child stating her name, height and date of birth
Conversation with the child where she speaks about school, family, friends and any other appropriate information to show her personality
Performance of the audition scene (downloadable at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) taping just above the shoulders
Included with the tape should be a tape log, child's picture and resume (with date of birth). Tapes must be submitted by the child's parent or legal guardian. Unfortunately, submissions and tapes will NOT be returned. Send the package to the following address:

Bluewater Ranch Casting Artists, Inc.
Bee Season
1433 6th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90401

ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MONDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2003.

For a complete listing of audition requirements please go to:

call 310-395-1882 or email rancher@bluewaterranch.com

the book upon which movie will be based :

Bee Season
by Myla Goldberg
Anchor Books
0-385-49880-2
288 pages
$13.00 (Can. $20.00)

National Bestseller
"A marvelous debut novel. . . . Imagine a Jewish Ordinary People and then some. . . . Unexpectedly powerful." --Newsweek

Read an interview with the author at link
Read comments from Myla Goldberg on what inspired her to write Bee Season at link

More About the Book
Like most families, the Naumanns have settled comfortably into a routine, each member playing an accepted role in the day-to-day family drama. Saul, a cantor who devotes himself to the study of Jewish mysticism, is the family anchor, preparing the meals, running the household, and nurturing his son Aaron's interest in Judaism. Miriam, a brilliant and compulsive high-powered lawyer, slips easily into the role of wage-earner, happy to leave the emotional demands of family life and parenting to her husband. Smart, socially isolated, and physically awkward, teenager Aaron thrives under his father's attention, relishing their shared scholarly pursuits and secure in the knowledge that he will become an eminent rabbi. Amid this dazzling display of intellectual power and intensity, Eliza, an unremarkable fourth-grade student, is resigned to remaining in the shadows. But her surprising triumph in a classroom spelling bee and her ascent to the national championships launch Eliza into the spotlight, radically altering the family dynamics.

Saul is soon lavishing time and affection on Eliza, leaving Aaron desperate to find something to replace the connections--to his father and his faith--that have sustained him. For Miriam, the sudden emergence of her daughter's ability to apply the concentration and the desire for perfection that define her own self-image triggers a flood of contradictory emotions and sends her life spiraling out of control.

Bee Season
by Myla Goldberg
Anchor Books
0-385-49880-2
288 pages
$13.00 (Can. $20.00)

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Spellbound
Reply #9 - 24. Jan 2004 at 06:09
Print Post  
SPELLBOUND now out on video...

the DVD has an interesting commentary track, and scenes with three more kids not in the final movie.

« Last Edit: 24. Jan 2004 at 11:13 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 01. Feb 2004 at 05:44
Print Post  
OK..  I'm more than convinced   Smiley

Profile added:

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

swot idol.
Reply #11 - 24. Apr 2004 at 04:42
Print Post  
Star spellers may become the BBC's new pop idols

By Liz Lightfoot, Education Correspondent.

Spelling tests are hardly most pupils' idea of fun, but the BBC is launching a quiz show that it hopes will make them as fashionable as pop music.

Inspired by a craze sweeping America, the corporation's entertainment department is televising a national children's spelling contest which it claims will be glamorous and exciting.

Hard Spell follows the success of Spellbound, an American documentary, which highlighted the growing obsession among youngsters with spelling championships, known as Spelling Bees.

Last year, nine million US schoolchildren took part in the events and the winners became mini-celebrities.

The BBC is confident that British schoolchildren will be equally enthusiastic once they get over their usual prejudice.

"It will be like Pop Idol, but with spelling," said Karen Smith, the show's producer. "We want it to be fashionable to spell well.

"We will get to know these exceptional children and become involved in their hopes and dreams.

"We will be looking at the meaning of words and at their derivations so the programme will be educational by its very nature, but we hope to make it 'cool' to be a good speller."

Teachers, however, doubt whether spelling can be made "glamorous and exciting" and say the competition will test memory rather than ability and understanding.

They also question the value of children being asked to spell unusual, complicated and specialist words they are never likely to use.

Details of Hard Spell will go out next month to secondary schools which are urged to hold competitions to find their top spellers aged 11-14 who will take part in televised regional heats.

The cameras will document the children's progress and their family backgrounds ready for the finals to be broadcast by BBC1 towards the end of the year.

But not everybody is interested in the proposed programme.

"Just because you can spell a word it doesn't follow that you know what it means or can use it in context," says Nicola Jeffs, the deputy head of English at Beauchamp College in Leicester.

"I asked a class of 15- and 16-year-olds what they thought of the BBC's competition and they said it would be really boring."

However, Stephen Twigg, the education minister, has given it his support.

"Anything which helps raise the awareness of the hard work our pupils put into spelling is a good thing," he said.

A BBC spokesman added: "Viewers will watch the hopes, nerves and excitement of children as they spell their way to the top of the class."

The award winning film Spellbound was one of the highest-rated documentaries in America last year and was nominated for an Oscar.
-----------
p.s. gay info Cheesy

stephen twigg, the education minister mentioned in that report, is gay; he lives with the gay composer  thomas ades.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

"A craze sweeping America" ???
Reply #12 - 24. Apr 2004 at 07:59
Print Post  
That "craze" has been here for the last hundred years or so...

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #13 - 25. Apr 2004 at 01:03
Print Post  
Teachers, however, doubt whether spelling can be made "glamorous and exciting" and say the competition will test memory rather than ability and understanding.

..I agree. Spelling contests like these test little more than good memory. A lot of hard work for minimal benefit. I think the kids should have to match the meanings of the words and also be able to use the words in the correct context...

..and there should be penalties for each error. Like losing an item of clothing :laughing: to make the contest more exciting.

...I'd still watch though...  I'm a professional time waster  Smiley

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #14 - 25. Apr 2004 at 01:11
Print Post  
<i>..and there should be penalties for each error. Like losing an item of clothing  to make the contest more exciting.</i>

Oh, cal, that's not a bad idea.  It seems a lot more humane than telling someone they're out of the contest, just because they miss the spelling of one little word.   Shocked

It would be nice if the Judge would just say, "HONK!  Incorrect. That will cost you your pants. Next contestant."   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print