Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Jaime (1999) (Read 9,443 times)
socksoles
Silver Member

Jaime (1999)
12. Nov 2003 at 17:17
Print Post  

How much misery can a 13 year-old boy take? A lot. Jaime lives in the city of Porto with his mum, two younger sisters and his mum's friend. His father lives in some kind of warehouse and mainly stays in bed, depressed as he is. Jaime is a normal kid during daytime, but at night he goes out and does all kinds of jobs in order to earn enough money to buy his dad a motorbike. Sometimes alone, but most times with his friend Ulisses.

Jaime stays away from school more often which gets him into problems with the school inspector. That's not the only problem he has to face: his mum's friend finds his money and takes it and Jaime decides to run away from home. His dad then hangs himself and Jaime is the one that finds his body first. And Ulisses gets hurt during work and dies as a result. Jaime is left all alone by all people that mean something to him. Only one left: his mum. He returns home, finds him mum seriously ill, but she recovers and Jaime gets himself an acceptable job without too many risks. And finally he feels good.

It took a lot of time to find a copy of this movie but I am glad that I finally did. Unfortunately no subtitles so I am sure that I missed a lot of the conversations. But all in all I think that this movie is very well done a really interesting. Good acting by Saúl Fonseca (Jaime) and Sandro Silva (Ulisses). For both this is the only movie they made, unfortunately. Nice scenery, Porto is a beautiful city...

The last scene is very touching: Jaime who rides his (selfearned) motorbike through the streets of Porto; Nina Simone in the background singing Feeling Good:

Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me
yeah, its a new dawn its a new day its a new life for me
AND I'M FEELING GOOD

Yep.... I felt good too after watching this movie....

'soles' :cwm39:

« Last Edit: 12. Feb 2011 at 12:19 by Quantum »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Review: Jaime (Portugal, 1999)
Reply #1 - 13. Nov 2003 at 17:41
Print Post  
Thanks for re-posting your reviews, Socksole. Smiley Sorry they were lost the first time (though it wasn't my fault... Smiley ).

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 14. Nov 2003 at 03:28
Print Post  
I responded that I was surprised that we didn't have the movie profiled.

I've got the movie at home and have rewatched it in the last couple of days. Unfortunately there are no subs on my version either.

I hope there is a subtitled version somewhere. It would be a pity for a movie like this is not seen by wider audiences.
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 20:06 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #3 - 14. Nov 2003 at 03:54
Print Post  
Well Cal, considering the fact that this movie is from 1999 and that it hasn't even been released on DVD in Portugal I am afraid that a wider release and a subtitled version won't be the case.

For those who are interested in watching this movie and are able to play a VHS PAL copy and don't mind having no English subtitles: I bought my copy through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 25. Nov 2003 at 15:57
Print Post  
Saúl Fonseca looks just like a boy who used to sing some of the solo parts for the French singing group called Les Poppys back in the late '80's or in '90.  I've got some clips of him singing, and I think I love him.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #5 - 25. Nov 2003 at 16:02
Print Post  
The poppys.... yeah, I still remember them. Non, non, rien n'a changé is a song that I still love to hear.

'soles' Smiley

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 12. Feb 2011 at 12:22 by Quantum »  

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #6 - 26. Nov 2003 at 05:26
Print Post  
What a lovely assortment of boys.

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Re: Jaime (1999)
Reply #7 - 21. Jan 2011 at 19:11
Print Post  
So glad I found a copy of this beautiful film. Language should be no stumbling block for anyone. Most scenes are self-explanatory. It will help, however, if you have a basic knowledge of languages with roman roots.
Child labour is still around. This film proves that we should not underestimate this evil. It is unrealistic to think that it will ever be stamped out entirely. I hope to upload English subs soon.
« Last Edit: 28. Jan 2011 at 04:43 by Benjamin »  

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Re: Jaime (1999)
Reply #8 - 28. Jan 2011 at 04:36
Print Post  
Images moved to gallery

« Last Edit: 12. Feb 2011 at 12:18 by Quantum »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print