Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Love That Boy (2003) (Read 4,160 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Love That Boy (2003)
20. Jan 2004 at 22:51
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

check out this movie. i don't think it was mentioned here before. i went to see it last night.

will post more info tomorrow. got to go. Smiley
« Last Edit: 08. Jul 2008 at 05:28 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Love That Boy
Reply #1 - 20. Jan 2004 at 22:55
Print Post  

ADRIEN DIXON
b.1988 in Sydney, Nova Scotia

Adrien began acting
professionally when he was
10 years old and played
the younger brother of
Mooney Pottie in the feature
New Waterford Girl.

(looks like his profile on IMDb is incomplete)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 20. Jan 2004 at 23:21
Print Post  
I had this on my list to watch for, but to my knowledge this film has only been shown in Canada.
I hope it'll make it down here as it got a good review from Variety (and apparently from you, joseph).
Tell us more when you have time.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #3 - 21. Jan 2004 at 09:36
Print Post  
Thanks for mentioning JosephK. Sounds like an interesting movie. Found the following info online:

A romantic comedy that puts a quirky twist on the intergenerational tale - marks the second feature from Toronto-cum-Halifax filmmaker Andrea Dorfman, following her Parsley Days, which the Toronto Film Festival Group named one of "Canada's Top Ten" films for 2001. Phoebe is a socially inept overachiever, unrecognized in a world run by C students. With a month until college ends, she's given herself a "To Accomplish Before Graduation" list, which includes everything from picking wild mushrooms to learning how to kayak. When her roommate points out that what Phoebe really needs is a boyfriend, she simply adds that to her list. After the demise of her first relationship - her "boyfriend" didn't even know they were going out - Phoebe inadvertently falls in love. The only problem is, he's 14.

Adrien Dixon is 15 years old and lives in Sydney, Nova Scotia.  He has been acting professionally since he was 10 years old, when he played the younger brother of Mooney Pottie in the feature film New Waterford Girl.  He then went on to do 10 episodes of Pit Pony.  Other film credits include movies-of-the-week Blessed Stranger, Homeless to Harvard and the mini-series Halifax: Shattered City.  In Love That Boy, Adrien plays young Frazer, the boy next door.

Official site: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

DVD R1 will be released next week, 27 January: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 21. Jan 2004 at 19:59
Print Post  
Thanks for the info, Socksoles. I'm a bit surprised that it's coming out on DVD so soon. It had a very low-profile theatrical run even within Canada, so I wasn't sure at all it would be distributed to any sort of video outlet. But that's good news, I guess.

The movie was alright, though there were a few things that were kind of getting on my nerves. There's one character in particular that I wanted to strangle whenever she appeared on screen. I just can't understand what went wrong with that. But her part is fairly minor, so it doesn't take away too much enjoyment from the rest of the film.

I guess this is the kind of movie that would best be described as being "off-beat" or "quirky". Everything is sort of over-the-top in it. The characters sometimes feel more like caricatures than real human beings. But except for that one character that annoyed the hell out of me, it wasn't pushed so far as to prevent me from getting emotionally involved with the characters.

There were quite a few laugh out loud moments and everyone in the (relatively small) audience seemed to be having a really good time. The love story between the 21-year-old woman and the 14-year-old boy unfolds very naturally way and is never presented as strange or unhealthy. It seemed totally believable, too, even if the characters and the situations are a bit unusual.

Adrien Dixon, who plays the boy, bears an uncanny resemblence to Michael Angarano! He looks a little like him, but mostly it's because he has a lot of the same maneurisms and facial expressions. (I'm thinking, mostly, of MA from Little Secrets, though his character was a bit younger in that film... which, actually, is interesting because it is also about a boy who is in love with an older girl.) I'm not sure if he's really quite as gifted as Michael is, but he did a fine job. He looks and acts like a 14 year old, and I'm glad they didn't pick some much older teenager to plays his role, as is often the case in a lot of American movies.

I would recommend this movie to everyone, though the character is perhaps a little bit older than the age group that is the primary focus of this website. Check it out if you have the chance.

Is it worth buying on DVD? I don't know. Some people will love this movie, but others might hate it. It's a very subjective thing. I'll let you decide, but if you have any questions you'd like me to answer, feel free to ask.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #5 - 22. Jan 2004 at 02:52
Print Post  
Thanks for your extra info and personal impressions. Certainly very helpful. I was surprised by the early release as well, since the movie had its theatrical release in November of last year.

Your own impressions of the movie encourage me to order the DVD. Slowly more and more interesting movies are being made in Canada (Khaled, Flower and Garnet). Remarkable how they differ from the usual north American (Hollywood) movies.

'soles'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print