Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Other Voices, Other Rooms (1997) (Read 4,132 times)
Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Other Voices, Other Rooms (1997)
06. Mar 2004 at 11:46
Print Post  

Hey, I'm only halfway through with the movie (Other Voices, Other Rooms), but I just came here to say that David Speck is just about perfect in his role in this movie!   Grin

I'm sure glad this finally came out on DVD, and that Amazon.com was smart enough to offer it to me as a suggestion, based on my previous purchases.   Roll Eyes

(courtesy of hosenhaus)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

David Speck plays a very "genteel" boy who has a soft way about him and looks impeccable, with a great haircut and wardrobe of a 1930's Southern boy who seems somewhat aristocratic and resilient, even though he's lonely.  The movie is somewhat slow (though I prefer to call it "literary"), but it's of Truman Capote's first novel, so we expect that.  It's extremely watchable, though, just because of young David's presence in it.  In fact, I'd say this movie will become one of the favorites of many of the members here (YoungArthur especially! and others), when they see that almost every scene has this beautiful boy in it, playing a very gentle part.  Smiley

IMDb link:

Amazon.com link:

This movie demands some more caps, but go to the great "whodat" thread that hosehaus posted for us to see the few that I saw, and the one that the pic that I posted came from:

Love,
Sir J
« Last Edit: 06. Apr 2004 at 02:22 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: Other Voices, Other Rooms (1997)
Reply #1 - 06. Mar 2004 at 12:52
Print Post  
a few more

Actually, he doesn't sit there smiling the whole time.  It's just that on the rare occasions he DOES smile it lights up the room...

Based on an early story by Truman Capote.

What other movies based on Truman Capote stories do you like?

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 06. Mar 2004 at 15:10
Print Post  
Hmph!  Angry  Amazon never suggested it to ME!  Yes, I'll have to order it, in between my payments to dentists. Undecided

As for Truman Capote,  I still favor the old tv version of 'A Christmas Memory' - the one with Donnie Melvin playing the boy.

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Reply #3 - 06. Mar 2004 at 18:56
Print Post  
Truman Capote wrote some wonderful stories and just thinking about the one that YoungArthur mentions above (Christmas Memory) brought a warm feeling to my heart.  Another good Capote novel is The Grass Harp which was made into an Edward Furlong movie.  Sadly, Eddie was clearly not very "engaged" with what was going on around him on the shoot and it makes for very dull viewing.  David Speck would have made been a much better lead.  (I speak as someone who was totally and utterly besotted with Eddie after Terminator 2.)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 07. Mar 2004 at 05:50
Print Post  
'Amazon.com was smart enough to offer it to me as a suggestion, based on my previous purchases'

..are they getting to know you a little too well  :laughing:

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #5 - 28. Mar 2004 at 13:37
Print Post  
I just watched it and David Speck is captivating, as promised.  Cute southern accent, too. Smiley

Strange, daylight-gothic stuff, though.  During my viewing of it I thought 'If you replaced the boy's character with another tormented adult, maybe in a wheelchair,  you'd swear it was Tennessee Williams.'

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print