Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic So Dear To My Heart (1949) (Read 4,424 times)
Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

So Dear To My Heart (1949)
04. Apr 2004 at 18:18
Print Post  

Bobby Driscoll was really good, and the story was fine in this Disney classic.  The animation sequences (also used in other movies of that time period) that Disney employed were distracting to me, but were meant to teach values like sticking to something that you start.  The story alone did that, though, and it was a much better movie when Bobby Driscoll was smiling, traipsing through the woods, and dancing.  A barefoot boy with a great smile can't be beat.   Grin

Jeremiah (Jerry) Kincaid lives with his grandmother on a farm near Fulton Corners in 1903, and the movie is primarily about his relationship with a little black ram that he raises after the mother ewe refuses to feed it because it's a "black sheep".  (I'm glad my mom didn't treat me that way. Shocked )  That little ram is constantly getting into things and getting Jerry in trouble for ignoring his chores and things like that, but the grandmother never follows through on her threats to get rid of it.  Jerry has a real good relationship with his uncle in this movie, as well as with his grandmother.  The climax is when Jerry enters his ram in the livestock show at the County Fair, but is a black sheep capable of winning the blue ribbon as a Champion?

Bobby Driscoll at his best.  Smiley

1964 poster of the re-release of this 1949 movie and a photo from Bob's Child Film Stars Photo Gallery:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

We've discussed it before, but here is a link to a website that tells how Bobby Driscoll died homeless and unknown in 1968, after his fame in his youth had waned.

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: So Dear To My Heart (1949)
Reply #1 - 04. Apr 2004 at 23:39
Print Post  
This is a great movie from one of my favorites of all time.
The website that you cited Sir J is actually what got me interested in the topic of young stars. Bobby's story is the saddest "True Hollywood Story" I have ever heard. It's the sort of story that makes you wish you were able to intervene and prevent that sort of outcome.  Sad

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #2 - 05. Apr 2004 at 17:51
Print Post  
I agree that Bobby was wonderful in that, but, to me, he was at his best in "Treasure Island".

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 06. Apr 2004 at 01:13
Print Post  
Bobby was a great little actor and very cute, but I found this movie too syrupy and too much like a bible story to digest without indigestion. I rated it a 6/10, which means there is something in it worth watching.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #4 - 07. Apr 2004 at 15:19
Print Post  
I'd love to see it again.  Well, now I guess I can! Smiley

I remember seeing the movie as a kid.  My little buddy (2 years younger) kept up comments like "Ohh, don't do it, Jerry Miles!" and I didn't correct him because 'Jeremiah' sounded that way to me too.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print