Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Popi (1969) (Read 10,628 times)
Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Popi (1969)
21. Apr 2004 at 01:16
Print Post  

I noticed that we don't have a review for 'Popi' here in this forum, though we have a nice synopsis of it in our movie database if you click on that movie title.  Smiley

I wasn't really going to do a complete review of it here, but there's a nice one at the Turner Classic Movies website, and I also wanted to post this link to a 3-minute trailer from it that they have:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I also wanted to repost these pics that I think we had in one of our threads here at BA before one of our crashes.  Shocked

If any of you have any thoughts, or an in-depth review of this movie that you want to share, here's your chance.  I think it was one of the best movies of 1969 anyway, and I would have voted for it as Best Movie at the Academy Awards that year instead of 'Midnight Cowboy'.   Cheesy

Love,
Sir J
« Last Edit: 21. Apr 2004 at 12:41 by Sir Jacob »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Popi (1969)
Reply #1 - 21. Apr 2004 at 01:28
Print Post  
That link to the trailer said that it was no longer there, when I clicked on it to make sure it was working.   Shocked

That's a lie!  It's there.  Try this link to the list of their trailers, and they're all listed alphabetically.  I suppose you all know how to find 'Popi' knowing that.   Tongue

It's good.  Go watch it.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 21. Apr 2004 at 01:41
Print Post  
Thanks SJ.

I'll endorse your recommendation. I'm not sure I'd rate it above Midnight Cowboy as a movie but I'd definitely rate it as one of the BEST 'boy' movies ever. A must for serious collectors of boy flicks.

One of the most delightful production stills of all time has to be this one:

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 21. Apr 2004 at 02:52
Print Post  
i haven't seen popi but IMO midnight cowboy deserved its award.

a great movie; book's worth reading too.

i prefer print editions - but if you can't wait :

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 21. Apr 2004 at 12:40
Print Post  
Oh, come on now, guys.  How could anyone say that a movie about a cowboy prostitute on the streets of New York, and his drug-addled pimp named Ratso, could be a better movie than one about two cute boys and their father's love for them?   Shocked

I liked 'Midnight Cowboy', too.  I just liked 'Popi' a lot better!   Grin

Love,
Sir J
« Last Edit: 22. Apr 2004 at 10:04 by Sir Jacob »  

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 22. Apr 2004 at 04:52
Print Post  
CheesyYeah, It was very good movie of popi, I has my vcr tape here, I bought it long time ago; Thank for sharing!! Grin

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 22. Apr 2004 at 09:13
Print Post  
I haven't seen Popi. Those caps are absolutely beautiful and I'm sure I would enjoy the movie on some level, but I don't know if it would beat Midnight Cowboy. Although, I think Midnight Cowboy is slightly overrated.

There were a lot of good movies in 1969:

The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Andrei Rublev
Z
Kes

Some of these I haven't seen, but they're all on my to-see list of "important" movies. I think I'll add Popi to that list, though. Smiley

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #7 - 22. Apr 2004 at 18:45
Print Post  
Wowee! Blessings on you Sir Jacob for restoring some of the most beautiful boy movie caps ever posted anywhere!  Needless to say, thanks to you too Cal for resurrecting that publicity pic.  Smiley

'Midnite Cowboy' was a great movie and Dustin Hoffman blew me away with his performance.  Since we're talking general movies I'll mention 'The Pawnbroker', an awesome, powerful movie that I still consider one of the great movies of the 60's.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 24. Apr 2004 at 05:21
Print Post  
since we've moved into an OT zone of general movies - rod steiger was one of my favourite actors.

he made many good movies.

[for anyone who hasn't seen it, i'd recommend the sergeant for its gay angle and, despite what the person he was playing said about children, W.C.Fields and me [it got lousy reviews at the time but i thought it was great!].

THE SERGEANT is the story of the dark inner struggle of Master Sergeant Albert Callan to overcome the overwhelming attraction he feels for one of his charges.

In the staid and stifling environment of a post-World War II army post in France, Callan's deeply repressed attraction to other men surfaces when he encounters handsome Private Swanson.

Maintaining the rugged "man's man" image of a war hero, Callan barks orders to his underlings. Later, lonely in his solitude, he recalls the frightening experiences of war and the events that led to this crossroads.

Filled with self-loathing and unable to act on the natural attraction he feels for Swanson, Callan's affection festers into antagonism.

He pushes Swanson constantly with verbal assaults and undeserved punishments. Oblivious to Callan's attraction to him, Swanson comes finally to feel enmity for his Master Sergeant.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #9 - 24. Apr 2004 at 13:23
Print Post  
Hehe.   Wink

<i>since we've moved into an OT zone of general movies...</i>

Hey, it's not off-topic as long as it's a comparison to Popi, or one of the movies from 1969 that would have been competing with Popi as the best movie of the year.    Cheesy

Okay, so The Sergeant was made in 1968.  Close enough!  Let's just say that Popi was the best movie of the 1960's (in someone's opinion, probably), so that opens up the discussion to include any movie from the 60's, especially if they have cute boys in'em.   Grin

I liked Rod Steiger too, by the way.  Can you think of a good movie that he appeared in with a boy co-star?

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 25. Apr 2004 at 00:27
Print Post  
Steiger was a brilliant actor in the sixties and nobody can ever take that away from him.  At that time I would go to the cinema just to see him in a film. He lost the plot during the 70s and I was very disappointed by the quality of the films in which he subsequently appeared. Somewhere along the way he seemed to have become a parody of himself.

Sir J,,, one of the last films he made was with a boy:

called A Month of Sundays.   Cheesy

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #11 - 25. Apr 2004 at 00:46
Print Post  
Somewhere along the way he seemed to have become a parody of himself.

The worst example of which was Rod Steiger's acting in 'Amityville Horror.'  I always admired him and felt embarassed for him on seeing that film.  I wondered if he deliberately overacted to ruin a stupid movie?

However, whenever I see a great actor in a dumb film I think "even actors have got to eat."

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #12 - 25. Apr 2004 at 00:48
Print Post  
Hey, I never saw that one, Cal.  Thanks for mentioning it.   Smiley

I guess it was worth it to have an off-topic post, so we could learn about a movie with Jeffrey Tott.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Reply #13 - 31. Jul 2011 at 09:48
Print Post  
Jeez, I didn't read this thread before I entered my verdict on Popi. I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. That is never my intention.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print