Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Pedal Car (El Coche de Pedales) 2004 (Read 7,532 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

The Pedal Car (El Coche de Pedales) 2004
27. Apr 2004 at 02:22
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I stumbled across this movie online..  it looks interesting. I couldn't find an English synopsis so here's a Google translated synopsis for the time being:

--------------------------------------------------------

During the Easter of year 59, in the tragicomic social landscape of pro-Franco, wireless Spain and with light bulbs of few watios, the fable of the sentimental chronicle of a boy of nine years passes: Little Paul. Little Paul wishes the car of pedals that sees in a showcase near its house. Her family - middle-class with bad luck -, undergoes the deaf familiar pressure of the other part of the family - middle-class with good luck and better influences -. The desire of the car and the hope to obtain the one that their parents encourage to him take to the boy, moneybox in ristre, to a strange trip to the motley and surprising full familiar world of lies and blackmails. Little Paul sentimentally survives in that atmosphere thanks to his capacity to obtain in the imagination the answers that their parents and their educators do not offer him. Little Paul will create his own happy end .

« Last Edit: 22. Oct 2006 at 18:46 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: The Pedal Car (El Coche de Pedales) 2004
Reply #1 - 27. Apr 2004 at 02:45
Print Post  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #2 - 27. Apr 2004 at 10:48
Print Post  
Google sure uses funny phraseology sometimes.   Grin

Nice find, cal!  The boy sure looks nice, and I hope the movie is good, too.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 28. Apr 2004 at 09:59
Print Post  
yeah  ..  Smiley

hopefully someone can find a decent write up on the movie ...  I was thinking about trying to rewrite the thing but  I didn't have the patience  heh.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #4 - 29. Apr 2004 at 15:51
Print Post  
Very cute boy.  Is that a machine translation?  Do they really have software that attempts that?

He he...not in a million years could I come up with a phrase like 'deaf familiar pressure.'  Intriguing.  Grin

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 29. Apr 2004 at 17:00
Print Post  
Arts : Esperanto dialogues in new Spanish film 'The Pedal Car'
Posted by Ian Fantom on 2004/1/22 16:24:57 (164 reads)

Cinema audiences throughout Spain are to hear dialogues in Esperanto, spoken by well-known actors, in a new comedy drama film released on January 16, 2004. Set in the Franco era, El coche de pedales [The Pedal Car] is about Pablito, a nine-year-old boy, whose quest for a pedal car takes him on a strange journey into a colourful family background, reflecting the social stresses of the times.

Pablito's father, Don Pablo, is the head of an academy in the provincial capital, who teaches all sorts of things from caligraphy to Esperanto. Don Pablo's father, Abuelo is a political activist, who dreams of world harmony, and wants Esperanto to become a common language for all humanity.

Esperanto is heard from time to time early in the film, but the audience doesn't know what the language is until a dispute arises at the dinner table, when Don Pablo makes a comment in Esperanto to sympathising Falangists at the dinner table. He is promptly told off by his in-laws for supporting the "language with no future". But then his daughter starts talking about her Esperanto friends in Russia, and so the story unfolds.

The Spanish Esperanto Federation has been working closely with the producers and actors since January 2003. They translated various fragments of scripts, and helped the actors with correct pronunciation. Esperanto speakers were also to hand during filming, so that they could help out with any practical details. (see their website report)

"The whole cast was very positive about Esperanto", said helper Augusto Casquero, seen here with actor Alex Angulo (Don Pablo) , left, and producer Ramón Barea. "For them .... it was an interesting discovery", he told Esperanto Britain. "I am pleased that, for the first time, Esperanto has a chance to show itself on film in Spain", commented aother helper, Marcos Cruz. "The film is fairly true to life in that era", he added.

The film featured in a pre-release showing at the opening night of the Festival de Cine Iberoamericano de Huelva last year. Expats in Barcelona can also see the film in English

Other films which include some Esperanto are Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator, Andrew Niccol's science fiction drama Gattaca, and the television sci-fi sitcom Red Dwarf. The film Incubus, starring William Shatner, of Startrek fame, is entirely in Esperanto (See the Wickiepedia).

For anyone with suitable multimedia equipment (Shockwave and an mp3 player), there are pictures and sound clips of The Pedal Car. The argument about Esperanto is on Track 5, starting with the words "Tre bongusta" [Very tasty]."Tre bongusta".

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 30. Apr 2004 at 05:36
Print Post  
Thanks for that article...  very interesting.

I've never heard Esperanto spoken before and I had no idea there were still advocates for it's use.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #7 - 02. May 2004 at 13:34
Print Post  
Thanks cal and Boy55 for the information on this film. I will be looking for it on the festival circuit this year.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #8 - 03. May 2004 at 01:24
Print Post  
Excellent information!  Thanks to both of you for sharing it with us.  Sorry I was out of town and didn't say so sooner.  You've made me want to see this one, though!   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #9 - 03. May 2004 at 03:03
Print Post  
Thanks all for the information. It looks like it's another good movie from Spain. Funny: from the pictures you can almost tell that the movie was made in Spain. Every country has its own specific style of making movies, the particular subjects etc etc.

This one looks like another fine movie in the tradition of La Lengua de las Mariposas, Valentin and El Espinazo del Diablo.

'soles' :cwm39:

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #10 - 22. Oct 2006 at 16:20
Print Post  
Quote:
I've never heard Esperanto spoken before and I had no idea there were still advocates for it's use.
There aren't. ÊThis depicts 1959 Spain.

An IMDb reviewer calls this a "Franco denuciation movie", and admits it has all been done before. ÊBut then goes on to say there can never be enough Franco denunciation. ÊI'm afraid most of us outside of Spain are, in fact, tired of it. ÊBut I thought this one was quite well done. ÊIt's not a political polemic. ÊIt is just a kid who doesn't understand why his mother's family and his father's family don't speak to each other.

Plus Pablo Gomez!

« Last Edit: 24. Oct 2006 at 21:56 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print