Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bad Education (2004) (Read 39,586 times)
Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Bad Education (2004)
13. May 2004 at 17:59
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Another that looks like it will be a good movie by Pedro Almodovar, opening at the Cannes Film Festival this week.  This movie is about two boys and their relationship with a pedophile priest, and follows them from the 1960's to the 1980's.  Almodovar claims that it is not anti-clerical, nor anti-church.  One of the boys has become a transvestite entertainer as a young adult.  As one reviewer said, "the worst character isn't a priest, but a young, seductive man, played by Mexico's Gael Garcia Bernal, who uses the secrets of the past to advance his acting career."

Synopsis:

<i>In the early 60s, two boys –Ignacio and Enrique- discover love, movies and fear in a Christian school. Father Manolo, the school principal and Literature teacher, both witnesses and takes part in these discoveries.  The three characters come against one another twice again, in the late 70s and in 1980. These meetings are set to change the life and death of some of them.</i>

The boy actors are Nacho Pérez, playing Ignacio as a child, and Raúl García Forneiro, doing the same as Enrique.

<b>Nacho Pérez and Raúl García</b>

<b>Daniel Giménez Cacho and Nacho Pérez</b>

About the boy actors (from Pedro Almodovar) :

<i>I think this film also witnesses the birth of two extremely fruitful young actors, children Nacho Pérez and Raúl García Forneiro. I am not a children director, but things have run smooth with these two. I treated them like adults. I told them what their roles were about and gave them directions on how to play as veterans, relaxing neither language nor concepts. By the time they are grown enough to watch the film I hope they are proud of their debut. I am already.</i>

This is the link to the official site:

The trailer:

Set for releae in the U.S. in November.

I'm looking forward to it.    Smiley

Love,
Sir J
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 14:49 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: Bad Education (2004) - La Mala educación
Reply #1 - 13. May 2004 at 21:09
Print Post  
November 19th 2004, Rating: R, 105mins, Sony Pictures Classics

Cast: Gael García Bernal, Francisco Boira, Javier Cámara, Alberto Ferreiro, Daniel Giménez Cacho, Lluís Homar, Francisco Maestre, Fele & Petra Martínez       

Director: Pedro Almodóvar
Producers: Pedro & Agustin Almodóvar
Writers: Pedro Almodóvar       

Plot: The new film from Academy award-winning Pedro Almodovar, "Bad Education" narrates the reunion of two young men in '80s Madrid. Fifteen years earlier in a catholic school, the two young men had discovered sensuality and a common hatred of the priests from whom they received their 'bad education.' Now, both men - a film-maker and an aspiring actor - revisit their early years together. As they try to uncover the truth about themselves, they realise that things and people are not as they first seem.
« Last Edit: 15. May 2004 at 06:25 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 13. May 2004 at 22:46
Print Post  
This is THE single movie that I am most looking forward to at the moment (with Wong Kar Wai's 2046 as a close second, although as far as I know that one does not feature any boy in it). Pedro Almodovar is my favourite contemporary European director and I loved every one of his films that I've seen so far (I've seen about 8 or 10).

Furthermore, Gael Garcia Bernal is one of the most compelling (adult) actors working today.

This movie is going to be brilliant.

By the way, I was sure I had posted something about this on the board before, but I can't find it. Must have thought of it but forgot to post. Almodovar talks a young boy that walked on the set in his shooting diary on his website. He also has a lot of praise for the actors involved in his film, including the boy actors.

Oh, and thanks for those pics, Sir J.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 15. May 2004 at 02:11
Print Post  
from cannes diary in yesterday's uk metro newspaper.
---------
the party for pedro almodovar's bad education epitomised everything that cannes can be.

guests were picked up by yacht and taken to an exclusive beach location, sipping champagne on the way.

once there, copious quantities of decilious pata negra ham (being hand sliced) and sangria were on hand as everyone from fashion designer jean paul gaultier to veteran actor max von sydow made merry.

highlights included an incredible fireworks display launched from two boats out at sea and a cabaret.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 15. May 2004 at 11:51
Print Post  
<i>Almodovar talks of a young boy that walked on the set in his shooting diary on his website.</i>

josephk, I read that part of his interview, too, and thought it interesting enough to copy it and include with my review here.  I didn't do so at first because the review was long enough as it was, and I wanted to save room for as many of the pics as possible.  Smiley

Here it is, though, for those who don't follow links:

<i>Sometimes, the surroundings of a shot become more thought-provoking than the shot itself.

Like every night during this shooting, that was a terribly hot night (never have I fanned myself as much as I do here). Valencia as one breathed through its balconies, and our work became a complimentary show to those in the street where we were shooting. We were preparing a rain scene when out of a sudden I saw, in the monitors I use to control what's before the camera, a 10-year old boy showering under the rain poles with a joy only children can express to celebrate natural phenomena -even though this was not so natural.

The boy lived next door and had run from home. After weeks of stifling heat, from bed he heard the sound of rain and ran out bursting with excitement while his parents stood on the balcony. In his quest for refreshing water he ended up in the middle of our shot.

I like to think that, to this kid, movies will always link to the idea of something as miraculous and longed for as our fake rain. Nobody asked him to leave the shooting area -in fact, he looked so natural among us I thought he was a relative of someone from the crew.

That rainy night the character of Lluis Homar plunged into the lips of Gael's after learning they must part for some time. This is a very dramatic scene which, given its nature, I would have liked to shoot without witnesses, but that was not possible -despite being 3 am the balconies were stuffed. When the kiss was produced a general sigh was heard followed by applause. I turned my eyes for the boy in the hope that he would not be there, but he was, grave, contemplating for the first time maybe two men kissing desperately in the rain.</i>

Thanks for mentioning it.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 15. May 2004 at 12:18
Print Post  
Thanks for posting that passage. I read it again and it's such a beautiful annecdote. You really get a sense of what an amazingly sensitive human being Almodovar is, which explains in part how he is able to make such moving films as he does.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #6 - 15. May 2004 at 23:58
Print Post  
Thanks for profiling this Sir J.

I just went through the Cannes website, looking for material for my wish list and came across this film. I have yet to see any films from Almodovar, it looks like this'll be my first.  Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 16. May 2004 at 01:00
Print Post  
Zab, if you can find a copy of "What Have I Done To Deserve This?" by Almodovar, it is also worth watching. It's not available on Region 1 DVD, but I've rented it on video in the past.

It's the only other one of his films that has a boy character in it. He doesn't have a very large role, but it's an interesting one, to say the least.

All of Almodovar's films that I've seen would be highly recommended. I think he will be remembered as a genius on the same level as the likes of Fellini, Bergman or any other great directors.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 16. May 2004 at 01:11
Print Post  
Netflix lists that as being available.

I'll add it to my list.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 16. May 2004 at 01:34
Print Post  
Oh, wow. I guess you're right. I'm surprised that's available on DVD, but I'm pleased that it is. Hope you enjoy it.

It's not one of Almodovar's best work, in my opinion. But it's got some very funny moments. I would recommend All Albout My Mother, Talk to Her, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown and even Kika before What Have I Done To Deserve This? But all those other movies don't have any boy characters, as far as I remember. Well, no, that's not true, there's an older teen in All About My Mother, but he's only in the first part of the film.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #10 - 16. May 2004 at 03:38
Print Post  
<i>For over 20 years Pedro Almodóvar has been producing an extraordinary body of work, films like Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, which were kitsch, provocative and with plots so labyrinthine they make the Iliad look straightforward.

Bad Education the director's latest deals with familiar Almodóvar territory - Catholicism, God, faith, cross-dressing and sex.

Back Row asks film critic Lorien Haynes and film lecturer Mark Allinson if we are getting anything new from Bad Education.</i>
-------
hear discussion - beginning 15 minutes into bbc radio programme.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #11 - 22. May 2004 at 16:42
Print Post  
Hey, that was a good program to listen to, applie!  I hope everyone who has time will follow that link and find it on the links to previous programs, now that it's already aired.  The first thing that they talked about before discussing "Bad Education" was even more interesting to me.  It was a play called "History Boys", and evidently the majority of the play is about the boys when they were in grammar school, and the way they were educated by both a headmaster and a maverick teacher who were also into "touching them" ( ??? ).  Well, they did seem to be discussing the sexual atmosphere of both of these projects quite a bit.  Here's a little synopsis of that play, and of what they said about our current item being discussed here, of course:

<i>THEATRE: 'The History Boys'
Alan Bennett's new play directed by Nicholas Hytner is set in a Sheffield Grammar school where eight boys are preparing for their Oxbridge Entrance exams under the guidance of a maverick English teacher who believes 'exams are the enemy of education' and a shrewd supply teacher motivated by the school's advancement. Some of the themes explored are the nature of education and it's purpose, staffroom rivalry and how best to teach history.
'The History Boys' in in repertory at the National Theatre in London until September.

FILM: 'Bad Education'
Pedro Almodovar's 'Bad Education'is the first Spanish film to open the Cannes Festival. Almovodar's homage to film noir explores the effects of religious schooling and sexual abuse on the lives of a film director and an actor who, twenty years before, attended the same Catholic school during Franco's rule in the 1960's.
'Bad Education' is on general release certificate 15.</i>

I loved hearing the clip of the boy singing "Moon River" (in English!) from the "Bad Education" movie before they started talking about that one, too.  Smiley

The entire program was a bit over 40 minutes, but the first 17 minutes or so will probably be what most here would enjoy. 

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #12 - 23. May 2004 at 10:02
Print Post  
yeah - i was going to post about the history boys a couple of months ago when it was in rehearsal.

from today's sunday times:

-------
May 23, 2004

Bennett: I based play on my own school abuse

THE playwright Alan Bennett has revealed that his latest play featuring sexual molestation at a boys' grammar school is based on personal experience of abuse that he has kept secret for more than 50 years.

Speaking last week, Bennett disclosed that the character of a cheerful child-abusing teacher called Hector in his new play was "based on someone who once taught me".

In his play The History Boys, running at the National Theatre in London, a group of sixth-form boys at a fictional Yorkshire school in the 1980s joke about taking it in turns riding "pillion" on Hector's motorbike. During these trips they are frequently interfered with sexually.

Last Wednesday, speaking to what has been described as an "audience of friends" invited to the London Review bookshop in Bloomsbury, Bennett described undergoing an experience similar to that of the boys in his play at about the time that he, too, was studying for his Oxford entrance examination in the early 1950s.

He said of his tutor: "He'd take pupils on his motorbike. I was on his motorbike in Wales and he was reaching back and touching me up. I was petrified. And because of my reaction he just dropped me off at a quarry." He called The History Boys a "confession and expiation".

Bennett, 70 this month, declined to elaborate on his remarks last week. Katherine Veile, a friend who also works for his agents, has confirmed that while the story was true, the abuse was not perpetrated by a member of staff at Bennett's grammar school, Leeds Modern, which he attended in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

"It happened during his schooling, but it was nothing to do with any of his schoolteachers," she added.

The character of Hector in the play is a popular maverick teacher whose pupils acquiesce in the molestation. He in turn inspires them to pass their Oxbridge entrance examinations through unconventional teaching methods.

Hector, played by Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon in the Harry Potter films), is eventually punished by the school for his misdemeanours.

The History Boys, Bennett's first play since The Lady in the Van was performed in London's West End in 1999, has been mostly praised by the critics. They variously describe it as "brilliantly funny", "endlessly ironic" and even "life-enhancing". One added: "At its deepest and most personal, it is about the disillusionments of adulthood, especially for the intellectually ambitious."

Bennett's confession is unusual. His previous plays — such as Forty Years On, The Lady in the Van and The Madness of George III, later made into a film — are thought to have given away nothing about his private life, which he guards closely.

Ever since he first appeared on stage in 1960 with Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and Jonathan Miller in Beyond the Fringe, Bennett's private life has remained little known to the public.

Alexander Games, Bennett's most recent biographer, spent more than 18 months researching his life but did not manage to speak either to the playwright or to any of his close friends before publishing his book three years ago.

"The closest I got to talking to him was coming face to face with him over a wall at his cottage in Yorkshire," he said. "But as soon as he saw me he simply bolted."

Games believes that the latest twist reflects the way Bennett makes very occasional and spontaneous revelations about his private life.

In 1993 he told The New Yorker magazine about his 10-year affair with Anne Davies, a divorcee 10 years younger than himself whom Bennett helped to buy a Yorkshire teashop. He later admitted his regret at making "a few unguarded remarks about my personal life".

Bennett has refused to discuss his apparent homosexuality, rebutting the actor Sir Ian McKellen who in 1987 demanded that he "come out". Bennett famously responded that this was "like asking a man crawling across the Sahara whether he would prefer Perrier or Malvern water".

His relationship with his current boyfriend, Rupert Thomas, editor of World of Interiors magazine, was casually admitted in a newspaper interview in 2001.

"This disclosure about abuse seems like the latest of those rare Bennett bombshells," Games concluded.

"I don't know why he does it, but I respect his desire for privacy. I think much of the reason why his friends don't reveal anything about his life has a lot to do with the reverence in which he is held by friends and colleagues."

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 25. May 2004 at 03:56
Print Post  
sir jacob wrote :

<i>i loved hearing the clip of the boy singing "Moon River" (in English!) from the "Bad Education" movie.</i>
---------
[from saturday's times - reporting from cannes]

MC-ing at his own party, he [Almodóvar] transformed an aircraft hangar filled with Veuve-swigging suits into a smoky Spanish nightclub, with Talk to Her’s Javier Cámara putting the drag act Les Diabéticas Aceleradas through their frequently hilarious paces.

The climax was undoubtedly Almodóvar joining them to lip-synch to the killer torch song from High Heels, Un Ano De Amor.

For many, though, the highlight had already happened — <b>a spectacular firework display to the strains of Moon River.</b>

Like Almodóvar himself, the show achieved the rare feat of being tacky, unsubtle and yet somehow moving.

After the events of eight very strange weeks, it must have been a relief for Almodóvar finally to put his latest problem child to bed

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

the history boys
Reply #14 - 11. Jun 2004 at 06:08
Print Post  
a long review (for textophiles) from the times literary supplement.
---------

Alan Bennett's private history

Keith Miller

10 June 2004

THE HISTORY BOYS

Alan Bennett 

Lyttelton Theatre

The cast of Alan Bennett’s new play, The History Boys, certainly fulfils the cardinal rule of schoolroom dramas, in that none of them looks a day under twenty-five. But since the main questions posed by the play have to do with the corruptibility of the adolescent, it may well be that real school-age actors would have been whisked out of the rehearsal room by Social Services before a line was spoken.

The two forms of corruption in question conform neatly to Descartes’ mind–body split. We are at a Northern grammar school, during an enigmatic historical moment which is probably meant to correspond to the 1980s (of which more later). A talented multicultural history class regroups for its seventh-term Oxbridge entrance tuition, which the students approach in an attractive spirit of vague, inchoate desire. They soon find themselves the subject of a pedagogical battle between the results-obsessed headmaster and their beloved Hector (Richard Griffiths), who has filled their heads with exquisite thoughts (a suspicious number of which derive from Auden and Housman) on the strict understanding that they derive no practical benefit from his efforts. Enter Mr Irwin (Stephen Campbell Moore), a young supply teacher, who finds in these well-stocked but disordered minds the perfect incubator for his exam strategy – which is to say anything, however provocative, unprincipled or untrue, that may titillate the jaded palette of the examiner.

Of course, it is usual for school stories to be about something a shade saucier than whether question-spotting or comparing Henry VIII to Stalin in one’s university exams might be a good idea. Here, the seasoning is sexual. The class is a hotbed of homosexual intrigue, the main object of which, Dakin (Dominic Cooper), is also the only student with a named girlfriend, a good example of how unequally Nature apportions her treasures during adolescence. Hector, meanwhile, numbers among his many eccentricities a penchant for frottage (“cradling”, is his rather fine word for it). This he pursues while giving lifts to students on a powerful motorcycle, glimpsed in a series of garishly-soundtracked video clips which serve to brighten up Bob Crowley’s somewhat dour set. The boys take all this in their stride, so to speak – at any rate, no posse of angry parents arrives to string Hector up by his matching tie and handkerchief. But when news of it leaks out, the balance of power shifts fatally – if, in the short term, expediently – towards Irwin.

The play is a curious mixture of comic, political, philosophical and melodramatic elements which only sometimes mesh. The dialogue is, as usual with Bennett, fine-tuned, arch and bitter-sweet, self-conscious (“I have not hitherto been allotted an inner voice”), clearly as great a pleasure for the actors as the audience. On repression and unfulfillment he is as good as Larkin: Hector’s rueful admission that he has made his advances to the boys ridiculous in order to protect himself from the possibility of any real emotional engagement is especially affecting. Then there is that alertness to the humorous possibilities of place-names which has never served an English writer ill. When the redoubtable Mrs Lintott (Frances de la Tour) recollects that Durham was where she had her first pizza, the line dances on a tightrope between comedy and pathos. And though it is plainly middle age which he does best, Bennett manages to equip the boys with a punchy vernacular which is more than equal to the play’s complexities, even if they are not, in most respects, terribly “vernacular” boys.

Set among the various emotional and intellectual intrigues being played out is a series of obiter dicta on the nature of history. The least refined comes from Rudge (Russell Tovey), whom we are meant to have characterized as thick because he plays sport and has a strong accent. Adapting a line from Frank Ward O’Malley, he calls it “just one ****ing thing after another”. This gets a big laugh – and it’s probably no worse as a definition than mirrors by the roadside. Rudge’s point, did he but know it, is that heavy decisions are often not seen as such at the time, and are taken lightly; that important and irrevocable things happen as much by accident as by design. Put that way, there is almost no such thing as “history” at all – certainly the moral importance which Tacitus or Carlyle might have imputed to it is moot – so there is really no reason not to play mind games with one’s examiners if some advantage may thereby accrue. Elsewhere, Mrs Lintott delineates a feminist model of history as a procession of women clearing up men’s mistakes. This gets a big laugh, too, even if one of the biggest pie-throwers in the pantomime that has been British education over the past two decades was the not entirely male Margaret Thatcher. But, this particular school being untouched by what Larkin called “the invasion of women”, Mrs Lintott’s plaint doesn’t get much in the way of further discussion. It is the accident theory, the one-****ing-thing-after-another theory, which is most important. We see it realized during a beautifully choreographed scene in which a cobweb-thin chain of causes leads to catastrophic effects – death for one character, paralysis for another.

The problem with the play’s rather more local history is that you cannot quite work out when and where it is supposed to be set. The action must be dated before the end of seventh-term Oxbridge admission, but after the advent of league tables – a distinctly unAristotelian window of around minus three years, if memory serves. The boys themselves resist accurate dating as fiercely as the Turin Shroud; they memorize show tunes and scenes from old movies, but seem only to know one pop record. Certainly they are alarmingly well-informed, and behaved, for anyone who’s been to any kind of school this side of the Festival of Britain. They sit in class crowned with no Walkman, sceptred by no Stanley knife. Nobody is afraid of seeming too clever in front of his contemporaries. They are more relaxed about their sexuality than seems entirely plausible outside the sybaritic end of the independent sector.

The nature of their ambition is hazy. You never really sense that they have to put coasters under their coffee-mugs to protect the varnish on the dinner-table, or that the only books in the living-room are a bible and an encyclopedia, or that they are made to buy trainers without logos – that particular cocktail of asceticism, paranoia and thrift which characterized the English petit-bourgeoisie at the time the action is ostensibly set. Yet they have the intellectual timidity of real grammar schoolboys. Knowledge must be a seamless mail shirt with which to joust against those richer or more well-born. The boys feel violated, initially at least, by Irwin’s prestidigitations, it being apparently unthinkable that two different teachers could say two different things and both be right, or worth learning from. In fact, what the play seems to show is a class from Bennett’s own generation, transposed, not always smoothly, to a more recent era, like a jazzed-up Rigoletto. It may be that the play is an elegy for the grammar school system, one of many mainly good things in British society to have been ground away between the Left and the Right.

One of its most emphatic arguments is this: it is somehow objectionable that grammar schoolboys need to learn to think more like public schoolboys if they want to get along. Yet what does that matter if nothing means, or causes, anything? Bennett, having toyed with our notions of history, goes on to confound our ideas about Oxbridge (the merits of which are otherwise taken for granted in the play, the revelation that Irwin has lied about his own university being just another sort of vindication). Rudge, perhaps the least bright student, and by some margin the least comfortably middle-class (the Asian and Afro-Caribbean boys are much more twinkle-toed), is also the only one to benefit from out-and-out nepotism, his father having worked as a college servant. Whether this is an example of accident or determinism, and whether it is to be excused or deplored, Bennett does not say. Rudge is a sympathetic character, and, we sense, not as slow-witted as the comical exigencies of his part compel him to seem.

But his case would undermine the meritocratic claims of a prestigious university as surely as any cretinous armiger or nabob’s idiot son. Of course, plenty of people have argued that meritocracy is not always a good thing. But the traditional alternative in Britain has always been a kind of feudalism. At times in The History Boys, it seems as though Bennett is confusing deference with virtue. In occasional glimpses of the characters’ future lives, and especially in the finale, we anyway see that the school displays the true characteristics of a provincial grammar school less in the number of students it manages to shoehorn into elite universities than in the rather prosaic people (a lawyer, a broadsheet hack, two headmasters, an architect, a builder, a clinical depressive) they become once they’ve been there.

Foretastes of Irwin’s later career as a media intellectual and policy wonk must be meant as a comment on the usefulness of lying (and not just to examiners). But surely it is sentimentality, not casuistry – leaders who claim to feel our pain, the emblazoning of hearts on sleeves as a substitute for debate and argument – which corrupts our public discourse most fatally. The intellectual finessing about which Bennett seems so worried might equally be seen as a sort of vulcanization of the mind, offering a student some intellectual distance from the coal-face of his (or her) subject. It was also surely a sign of the times in which the play is officially set – an ambitious young teacher in the 1980s might well have tried a morsel of Foucault on a talented history class, for example. Perhaps a little casuistry, like a little frottage, need do nobody any harm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print