Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bad Education (2004) (Read 39,584 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

the history boys
Reply #15 - 22. Jun 2004 at 12:43
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The truth behind the History Boys

(Filed: 21/06/2004)

<font face="arial, helvetica, sans serif">Alan Bennett's new play The History Boys has received rave reviews – and caused a meltdown at the box office.

As it continues in repertory at the National Theatre, the playwright and his director Nicholas Hytner held a platform discussion. Here, in this edited version of their conversation, they reveal the highs and lows of taking a play from a supermarket aisle to the stage.</font>

<u>Nicholas Hytner</u> -<b>It would be fair to say that when he is writing a new play Alan Bennett doesn't just keep his cards close to his chest – they're glued there. We live quite close to each other so I see him often in the food aisles at Marks & Spencer and have nagged him relentlessly, ever since I came back to the National, for a new play.

And about six months ago I ran into him cycling along to the shops and he said he might have something for me in a couple of weeks. I had no idea what he was going to write about. Never do. So the first question is, why did you write it?</b>

<u>Alan Bennett</u> - I think I started writing it about 18 months ago and I can see that, of the three teachers in the play, I've had experience of two of them. I'd been taught at my own school in Leeds by somebody like Mrs Lintott, in a very straightforward, factual way.

And then the way I got a scholarship to Oxford and how I got my degree really was via the method the character called Irwin uses in the play. So in a sense, I am Irwin. The person I have had no experience of at all is Hector, the charismatic teacher; I only knew about teachers like that from talking to other people, and also from reading.

Temperamentally I cleave to that kind of teacher and that kind of teaching – while at the same time not thinking it practical. I suppose that the three teachers came out of trying to reconcile that. I think plays do tend to come out of things that you can't actually resolve other than by writing a play about them. Though I'm nervous about going too much into how these things work because I'm frightened they might not work the next time.

<u>NH</u> - <b>I think the play has generally been taken to be an unequivocal endorsement of Hector and his approach. It never felt like that to me. I think most parents would be, to a certain degree, dubious about a teacher who had absolutely no regard for results.

You'd be more likely to support the headmaster's obsession with getting your children into university. The play is intellectually even-handed. There is nothing in it that says Hector right, Irwin wrong, Mrs Lintott wrong – and yet emotionally, it veers the other way.</b>

<u>AB</u> - I think, of the three teachers, Stephen Campbell Moore, who plays Irwin, has the hardest job because he doesn't have the audience's sympathy until two thirds of the way through the second act.

Both Hector and Mrs Lintott have the audience on their side whereas he – who is teaching and getting results, which, in the ordinary way, parents would approve of – is not thought to be sympathetic until he reveals himself as quite vulnerable. That came as a surprise to me when I saw it rehearsed. In a sense, it takes the actors to show you what you've written.

<u>NH</u> - <b>For those who haven't seen the play, Hector is the teacher who has no programme, who believes, to quote Housman, "all knowledge is precious whether or not it serves the slightest human use".

Mrs Lintott believes that what the boys require is a firm foundation of fact. Irwin is the teacher brought in to get the boys into Oxbridge. He considers the truth to be something that can be manipulated to impress examiners and regards culture, poetry, art to be commodities that you can buy into to spice things up. That is essentially the ideological battleground of the play. So, do you think there is such a thing as absolute historical truth?</b>

<u>AB</u> - I don't know. That's one of the reasons why I wrote the play. In the words of Rudge in the play, "History is just one crappity smacking thing after another," which seems quite a brutish thing to say but was actually not said by him originally, but by Herbert Butterfield who was Professor of History at Cambridge in the '40s, only as he put it:

"History is one bloody thing after another." The difference between the "bloody" and the "crappity smacking" is what has happened in public discourse in the last 50 years. The thing that struck me is that on the first night, we had a fire which set the sprinkler system off.

At the end of that afternoon we had had our final notes session and everybody was in an up-beat mood because we'd had a week of very good previews, and I think Nick said, exactly as somebody says in the play, "Oh, nothing can go wrong now."

Then within a hour you came into the theatre and the stage was six inches deep in water. So, just as happens in the play, events took us by surprise. And I don't get much further than that. History is one bloody thing after another.

<u>NH</u> - <b>What about the other much debated topic in the play, the use of literature. Is it really enough to know literature by heart, or does literature provide us with something more practical?</b>

<u>AB</u> - I think everybody wants to have learnt poems by heart at school. They look back to an age when their parents, or maybe their grandparents, could recite verse. My mother could recite very garbled and over-dramatised bits of poetry she'd learnt at school.

And whenever she went into poetry-reciting mode, the pose she took up was exactly the one she'd taken up when she was 10 years old. But people do feel that they ought to have this ingrained knowledge of poetry and regret not having it. It seems to me, in Hector's words, it is a kind of "insulation for the mind".

And when you do come across people who have literature at their fingertips and can quote things off by heart, then it is very impressive and enviable.

<u>NH</u> - <b>But Hector is not the most brilliant English teacher. He uses quotations that are not particularly apposite when he is in trouble, and his assertion that you don't need to understand poetry to appreciate it seems dodgy at best.</b>

<u>AB</u> - I think it's true he's not an ideal teacher and he is sloppy and quotes stuff almost at random. But the boys see that. They see the shortcomings of Hector, Irwin and Mrs Lintott. I wanted to show that the boys are the ones who know more than any of the teachers.

They will go their own way and they will carve out their own futures. They will take from each of these teachers what they want. That's what the slightly less than idyllic last scene shows. The boys are not wholly nostalgic, nor are they wholly materialistic, and when they say what they've done in life, that is empiricism and experience winning through.

<u>NH</u> - <b>Many of the characters live in a state – which I find characteristic of your plays – of frustrated possibility. Scripps, Posner, Irwin and Hector all, to some degree, are waiting for life to happen.</b>

<u>AB</u> - I waited ages for that! Such criticism I've seen of the play is that I have put myself into it too obviously – and that I am Posner. But everybody watching the play says "I'm Posner" because he is the boy with a yearning, who seems to be getting nowhere and so is the saddest, and everybody sees themselves when young in that kind, protective way.

<u>NH</u> - <b>This seems to me peculiarly English. Americans have found it unbearable that Posner turns into what they call a loser. An English audience simply expects it! I had an email from a very smart American friend saying, "But he's put up with all this teasing at school, he's popular with the boys, surely he would turn into a TV director."</b>

<u>AB</u> - Well if he'd have been a writer, he'd be doomed as well! But perhaps it is all to do with the English will to fail. We were conscious, before the play started, that because we'd worked together successfully so much (including the film of The Madness of George III, this will be the fifth time), there was a tremendous feeling that now we were going to come a cropper.

You wouldn't get that in America. It's such an English feeling and I'm very often of that mind myself. And you must often get that with the National Theatre – the sense that you're having too good a time?

<u>NH</u> - <b>This is a terrible thing to admit. I feel guilty every time it's not a flop.</b>

<u>AB</u> - I've never had so much fun as rehearsing this play. We had a wonderful time. So by the time we came to the first preview, although how the audience took it wasn't actually irrelevant, at the same time you did feel you'd had such a good time, that was the important thing.

There was a lot of discussion before we started rehearsals proper about the themes of the play and the people and poets who are mentioned in it. If there's a lot of talk before rehearsal I generally get quite impatient, but this time I did think it was very valuable and it was a great contrast to my other school play, the first play I ever wrote, Forty Years On.

That was as stiff with literary references as this play is but in 1968 we made no attempt whatsoever to educate the boys about what was in the play. It was partly that in The History Boys the boys have to initiate the questions, so they have to know what they are talking about, whereas the boys in 1968 didn't. But it is also that the attitude to actors has changed since that time, and that they're accorded more respect now and are treated more humanely. So a play is much more of a co-operative enterprise.

<u>NH</u> - <b>We respected them a great deal more than they respected us.</b>

<u>AB</u> - The thing I liked the most was that at my age, they still treated me like a human being. You don't normally expect that from young people. I have to say, though, that being treated like a human being meant that they took the piss out of me relentlessly.

And never stopped. There wasn't a honeymoon period when there was a bit of respect, not to say veneration. There was never any at all. The first day, when I was coming in to the theatre, Dominic Cooper, who plays Dakin, was lounging in the stage door and someone said "What are you doing here Dominic?" and he said "Oh, I'm in this crap play about history by – what's the guy's name? Oh hello, Alan."

<i>Question from the floor How does the rehearsal period develop?</i>

<u>AB</u> - First of all we cut it quite a lot. After Hector has been given the sack at the end of the first act, I'd written a fairly ordinary classroom scene for the beginning of the second act and we found that wasn't taking the story any further.

I then had to rewrite that scene so that you felt that it was progressing. Maybe a better dramatist than I am would have imagined that, but I didn't see it.

<u>NH</u> <b> - One of the hazards of being a writer in the rehearsals is that the director and the actors can say, "This isn't working, Alan, can you rewrite it please?" Sometimes it's a good idea to stay home, which forces us to make what is written work. But in fact it was wonderful to have the writer there. </b>

<u>AB</u> - This sounds too cosy, but it requires forbearance, both on my part and on yours. Most directors would be nervous of having somebody there who chips in.

It's only because we've worked together a lot that we don't mind. And if it's going the wrong way, I just keep quiet for a bit. When I think of some of the stuff I said at rehearsals, I go hot and cold at the foolishness of it. I made such stupid suggestions. But if you've worked together before, you don't mind.

The thing that always impresses me is the courage of the actors. Before we actually started rehearsal, we had a read-through of the play in rough draft so that I could see how it did or didn't work, and then I could go back and do another draft.

We had a scratch cast which included four of the actors who actually ended up in the play. They'd never seen the play before and couldn't pronounce a lot of the names – the ideas were totally new to them – and in any other circumstances would have been making utter fools of themselves.

And yet they did it. This is why I get so infuriated by "luvvies" as a term. Actors are brave creatures really: they don't mind making a fool of themselves. And they're making a fool of themselves on my behalf and I find that immensely heartening.

<i>Q How does the theme of sexuality fit in with the theme of knowledge?</i>

<u>AB</u> - In the scene with the headmaster at the end of the first act, Hector doesn't really offer any defence for himself, except he starts saying, "The transmission of knowledge is in itself an erotic act. In the Renaissance…" and then the headmaster cuts him off.

The phrase actually comes from George Steiner – I asked his permission to use it – and it comes from his latest book called Lessons of the Masters. Steiner talks about the whole question of sexuality and teaching, and though I'd written the play before I'd read it I was heartened that some of the things – for instance the notion that Irwin's teaching is sexualised by the pupil who actually takes it all on board – wasn't just an idea I'd had, but can occur as part of the nature of teaching.

I realise that Hector laying hands on the boys would be totally different if they were much younger, but these are all 17-, 18-year-olds. I think I've been criticised for not taking this seriously enough. I'm afraid I don't take that very seriously if they're 17 or 18, I think they are actually much wiser than Hector. Hector is the child, not them.

<i>Q Is one of the boys more you than any of the other boys?</i>

<u>AB</u> - I was very religious as a boy and Nick assumed that I was Scripps, the religious one. But he's much more open-minded about it, more sceptical than I ever managed to be. So I suppose I'm closer to Posner.

A few critics who've disliked the play have accused me of parading myself in Posner. But I don't know how else you write plays apart from putting yourself into the characters. I'm all the boys except for Dakin, the most confident boy. I wish I could, but I can't see myself in him. And the masters too. I think all dramatists work like that. There's a pinch of you in every character.

However, I am like Posner for a particular reason and it goes right back to the origin of the play. The idea really began when Nick told me about his time at Manchester Grammar School where he had a very good voice and sang with the Hallé Orchestra under Barbirolli.

I always loved Barbirolli so that sounded to me wonderful. Nick was then on <a href=" (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)">Private Passions, on Radio 3</a>, and I listened to this thinking he would talk about his early experience with Barbirolli. In fact he didn't, but he did play Ella Fitzgerald singing Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered with the original Lorenz Hart lyrics of "I'll sing to him/Each spring to him/And worship the trousers that cling to him" and I thought how good this would be coming from a boy with a crush on another boy, sung by a boy with an unbroken voice.

That took me back to my own childhood, because I was 16 when my voice broke. And so I started to write a play in which there was a boy with an unbroken voice who is longing for his voice to break, feeling quite out of it at school, very much as I did.

And then the final line of the play in an early draft was Posner saying, "It's not all bad news, my voice is breaking."

We talked about this and Nick said well, nobody's voice breaks at 16 nowadays.

<U>NH</u> - <b>Can I just say, that was one of the few times that we came close to a row, because Alan said you might just as well say that women don't burn their husbands' manuscripts and then go out and shoot themselves. And it doesn't invalidate Hedda Gabler. Which is true, I had to admit.</b>

<u>AB</u> - He said I know somebody who has a good voice who would be good in this part but it would have to be a broken voice. So slightly reluctantly I rewrote the part.

I can see Posner is a ghost of the part I would have written. Plays are full of ghosts like that, of ideas you've had and then changed, but it's seldom they turn out as happily as this one did.
#########

<u>Sentimental education: a scene from The History Boys</u>

'The History Boys' by Alan Bennett is published this week by Faber. The first 20 readers to order through Telegraph Books Direct will receive their copies absolutely free (allocated on a first come, first served basis). Thereafter it is available for £11.99 (usual price £12.99) + £2.25 p&p. To order please call 0870 155 7222 (Sat-Sun 9am-5pm; Mon-Fri 9am-7pm).

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Bad Education (2004) - La Mala educación
Reply #16 - 06. Jul 2004 at 10:35
Print Post  
That's a good link, apple!

I'm not surprised that some people would be condemning the author of the play for having a character who gropes the young men that he's teaching.  I was glad to see this reply to a rather hysterical-sounding complaint about that, though:

<i>I am confused by your use of the
word paedophile. Having seen the
play I was aware that these boys
are 18, and thus over the age of
consent.
The character of Hector does
betray the teacher / pupil trust
but he is in no way a paedophile-
he is falling for young men not
pre-pubescent boys surely you can
see there is a difference.
Alan Bennett has carefully and
sensitively tackled this
character, he hardly condones the
character who by the end of the
play is seen to be a lonely old
man who hates himself as he says
to Irwin towards the end of the
play. (or maybe you were too
reactionary to get to the end of
the play?)
Alan Bennett has responded to this
criticism at his recent platform
when he said that if the boys in
the play were 13 / 14 of course he
would take the issue seriously,
but they are effectively adults.
I am glad that Alan Bennett has
explored this character on the
stage - given that Germane Greer
has just published a book about
her love of 'boys' shouldn't we
allow Mr. Bennett the same freedom
to explore the same theme of love
for young men, or is it a subject
reserved for feminist writers?
Maybe the reason the play has not
caused as much of a stir as a TV
drama is because theatre is able
to explore difficult subjects
without sensationalising them, as
you have done in you criticism.
I suggest you go back and watch
the play again with a more
rational and open mind.</i>

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #17 - 23. Feb 2005 at 22:54
Print Post  
This movie is finally set for DVD release in Region 1 on April 12th.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #18 - 24. Feb 2005 at 19:49
Print Post  
Many thanks for that alert, Rembrandt!

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #19 - 05. Oct 2005 at 06:59
Print Post  
alan bennett was interviewed on bbc radio yesterday.

online for next 7 days.

front row Tuesday

Alan Bennett talks to Mark Lawson about family secrets and being neighbours with Sven Goran Eriksson...

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #20 - 10. Jan 2006 at 03:41
Print Post  
`uncle vernon` from harry potter movie AKA richard griffiths, star of the history boys, was a guest on last sunday's `desert island discs` in which celebs pick 8 records (+a book+a luxury) to take with them to a hypothetical desert island.

richard said he will be touring with a production of the history boys to australia, new zealand and new york.

the programme can be heard online until sunday 15 jan, 11.15 hours brit time.

This Week's Guest:
Richard Griffiths

8 January 2006
Repeated
13 January 2006   

Richard's Choice   

Sue Lawley’s castaway this week is one of this country’s leading character actors - Richard Griffiths.  Most recently, he won three Best Actor awards for playing the English master in Alan Bennett’s play The History Boys but he has cross-generational appeal – perpetual adolescents revere his performance as gay Uncle Monty in the film Withnail and I, while the younger generation know him as beastly Uncle Vernon from the Harry Potter films. 

He’s had to work hard for his achievements – both his parents were profoundly deaf and, from a young age, he was their ears and their translator.   He studied drama against his father’s wishes - he had hoped his son would go to art college.  However, he says his father was an expert in reading body language and he learned from him how people's physical behaviour reveals their inner thoughts. 

He is currently in the West End in Tom Stoppard's play Heroes; he's working on a film version of The History Boys, directed by Nicholas Hytner and is preparing to tour with The History Boys around the world.

1. Please Please Me
Performer The Beatles
Composer  Lennon/McCartney
Publisher EMI
CD Title The Beatles/1962-1966
Track Cd1 trk 2
Label Apple
Rec No: CDPCSP717

2. Friends
Performer Lenny Preston
Composer Lenny Preston
CD Title Home 
PRIVATE TAPE NOT COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE

3. Part of Die Moldau from Mein Vaterland
Performer Leipzig's Gewandhaus Orchestra conducted by Vaclav Neumann
Composer Smetana
CD Title Mein Vaterland
Track 2
Label Decca
Rec No: SAD 22011

4. Third movement of Brandenburg Concerto No 3 in G Major
Performer Walter Carlos on the moog synthesizer
Composer Bach
CD Title Switched on Bach
Track Side 2 trk 3
Label CBS
Rec No: 63501

5. Come unto these yellow sands from the RSC production of The Tempest
Performer Ian Charleson with the Royal Shakespeare Theatre Wind Ensemble
Composer Guy Woolfenden
Publisher Gamut publications
CD Title The Songs of Ariel
Track 1
Label Ariel
Rec No: DLC 6791

6. Baker Street
Performer Gerry Rafferty
Composer Gerry Rafferty
Publisher Belfern music
CD Title 25 yrs of Rock 'n' Roll 1978
Track 15
Label Connoisseur Collection
Rec No: YRNRCD78

7. Hang Out the Stars in Indiana
Performer Al Bowlly with Ray Noble and his orchestra
Composer Moll, Brown Woods
Publisher Castle productions
CD Title The Dance Band Years
Track 23
Label Pulse
Rec No: PDSCD 557

8. Träumerei
Performer Vladimir Horowitz
Composer Robert Schumann
Publisher Polydor International
CD Title Horowitz in Moscow
Track 13
Label Deutsche Grammophon
Rec No: 4194992

Record: Träumerei
Book:    Vanity Fair by William Thackeray
Luxury:  Velasquez's Las Meninas

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #21 - 10. Jan 2006 at 08:29
Print Post  
Apple, are you sure you posted this in the right thread? I fail to see what it has to do with Almodovar's film.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #22 - 10. Jan 2006 at 08:31
Print Post  
Oh never mind. I just looked at the earlier posts in this thread. I see the link now. Sorry.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #23 - 11. Mar 2006 at 04:24
Print Post  
the history boys (as mentioned in this thread) is broadcast tonite on bbc radio 3 at 19.00 hours brit time - online for 7 days thereafter (AFAIK).

The History Boys

Sunday 12 March 2006 19:00-21:30 (Radio 3)

By Alan Bennett, adapted for radio by Richard Wortley from Nicholas Hytner's National Theatre production.

More than three decades on from Forty Years On, Bennett turns his attention once more to education - encompassing both the tussles of staffroom rivalry and the anarchy of adolescence.

Duration:
2 hours 30 minutes

Playlist:
Hector ...... Richard Griffiths
Irwin ...... Geoffrey Streatfeild
Mrs Lintott ...... Frances de la Tour
The Headmaster ...... Clive Merrison
Crowther ...... Samuel Anderson
Posner ...... Samuel Barnett
Dakin ...... Dominic Cooper
Timms ...... James Corden
Akthar ...... Sacha Dhawan
Lockwood ...... Andrew Knott
Scripps ...... Jamie Parker
Rudge ...... Russell Tovey

Samuel Barnett (singer)
Jamie Parker, Tom Attwood (piano)

Producer David Hunter.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #24 - 16. Aug 2006 at 08:14
Print Post  
here it is, folks.

what you've all been waiting for.

bargain-priced audiobook - direct from radio 3 and the national theatre.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);
-------------------------
and upcoming movie :

« Last Edit: 18. Aug 2006 at 08:57 by apple »  

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #25 - 10. Mar 2007 at 06:55
Print Post  
my admiration for richard griffiths has just increased a thousandfold.

what a mensch!!

...He won an Olivier Award and, in America, a coveted Tony Award for his performance in The History Boys, the Alan Bennett play recently turned into a film (both directed by Nicholas Hytner). In it, Griffiths plays the motorbike-riding polymath Hector, a grammar school teacher who is enthusiastic, shambolic, subversive and vulnerable.

He is also a groper of young men, one whose victims seem to pity rather than fear him.

'They're over 18, they're adults,' notes Griffiths, who says references to Hector as a paedophile make him furious.

'I'd feed all paedophiles into a tree-shredder, if it were left to me. One minute with a tree shredder. Anything left the police can have.'...

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Re: Bad Education (2004)
Reply #26 - 02. Feb 2017 at 12:50
Print Post  
I'm looking into the films of Nacho Pérez.

Can't wait to see this one

Nacho Pérez, isn't that just the coolest name!

Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print