Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Heart is Deceitful Above all Things (Read 18,087 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Re: The Heart is Deceitful Above all Things
Reply #15 - 21. Jan 2006 at 19:56
Print Post  
Teddy, the person you saw interviewed in the DVD extra is an actor, hired by the woman who pretends to be J.T. LeRoy.

Read the article I linked for more info.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #16 - 22. Jan 2006 at 06:40
Print Post  
To me this whole thing supports the 'theory' of certain individuals' invented or imagined abusive pasts or childhoods.  We all know that sexual abuse does occur but I think I lot of people are unaware just how convincing some so-called victims can be. It's a weird way of gaining attention.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #17 - 22. Jan 2006 at 10:13
Print Post  
Yes, Cal. I agree.

But again, I'm somewhat surprised that no one here has really reacted much to the revelation that J.T. LeRoy doesn't even exist. I mean, if it was just a case of a man inventing some stories of abuse about his childhood, it wouldn't be anything to write home about. Surely this kind of thing is far from uncommon. Those who believed it might be shocked or angry or embarrassed to have been so gullible, but at least the person does exist - he just turns out to have been a liar.

What is so weird about this case is that it's not a case of someone lying about their childhood - it's a case of the entire character being made up. J.T. LeRoy does not exist. Technically, I guess it hasn't been "proven" but the evidence for it is overwhelming.

But what is even more insane, though, is that the charade goes on. Even though most of the world is now aware that J.T. LeRoy is a fictional character, he continues to make public appearances. A recent issue of Maisonneuve Magazine (a Montreal-published sort of New Yorker/Harper's Magazine for a younger generation) announced on the cover: "J.T. LeRoy interviews Carrie Fisher." Now it seems that he also appears in DVD extras of The Heart Is Deceitful.... I think it's fascinating that everyone complicitly decides to let the fantasy go on.

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #18 - 24. Jan 2006 at 16:20
Print Post  
Quote:
Having seen the movie, I can't say that I'm shocked that it's all the product of someone's imagination.

Thanks for that link, joseph! It made for interesting reading.

You might really be surprised what really goes on in certain elements of society.

MJ

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #19 - 24. Jan 2006 at 22:34
Print Post  
While I might be MJ, the story was just too "out there" for me to believe it.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #20 - 14. Apr 2006 at 15:16
Print Post  
i just read the book of this considering how graphic some part  of the book are i wondering how the movie was made.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #21 - 14. Apr 2006 at 17:56
Print Post  
There aren't any terribly graphic scenes in the movie. There is no nudity (as far as I remember) and the scenes where the boy's character is involved in sexual activity are shot in such a way that you can't see anything.

In the one scene that would have been the most "shocking" to see - the one in which he has sex with his mother's boyfriend, dressed up as her - was not even shot with a boy actor! Instead, this scene is shot from the boyfriend's fantasy perspective, with Asia Argento playing the part of the boy dressed up as her.

To be honest, I found that scene rather silly. If the scenes are so shocking that you have to resort to that kind of "cheating," then you might as well not make a movie of it at all.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #22 - 29. Apr 2006 at 18:39
Print Post  
This film was highly touted at the Cannes festival two years ago, and was playing at one of the screenings on the beach, but tickets to the picture were unavailable.

Two years later, after reading these reviews, it seems like there's no need for disappointment in having missed this film at the festival.    

Thanks for all the thoughts on this film.  All those mindless IMDB posts whither in comparison to the words and thoughts that one reads here.
« Last Edit: 03. May 2006 at 20:40 by nicolas »  

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #23 - 11. Feb 2009 at 16:58
Print Post  
Well, I saw this movie last night, and I can't claim to be as impressed as "Kent."  

It was not a terrible film, except for the disturbing material it was portraying.  The adults and the situations were all too real.  That's probably what's SO disturbing.  I have known these people!  I have known these neighbors.  I have known these social workers.

On the other hand, it's also not surprising that it's NOT really an autobiography.  Jeremiah is nowhere NEAR screwed up enough to have been the product of such a mess.  Yes, he's screwed up.  Yes, his head and his heart don't know which way is up.  But still...

But here's the catch: There's no way a kid growing up like that could grow up and write such an autobiography.  No way.

Overall, I thought the movie was watchable - after all, it's got some mighty fine talent in it - but it missed its mark.  I guess I just never connected with the characters enough.  Sure, I cringed when the boy was whipped.  Sure, I thought: I'd KILL that guy.  This movie had great potential, but it didn't move me like it could have, and I'm an easy target (ie, I cry easily for kids in such a plight)!

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 13. Sep 2012 at 07:02
Print Post  
Maybe JT Leroy is a Pseudonym?  I enjoyed the movie alot! it's been a while since I saw it, but I will watch it at the next chance, I love this movie as much for Jimmy as for the Sprouses!
I'm actually glad that the movie is based on fiction, because that means the boy the movie is about never actually suffered all that abuse!

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #25 - 13. Sep 2012 at 09:23
Print Post  

Cole and Dylan SPROUSE are also in this movie in part of 11 years-old Jérémiah.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #26 - 09. Dec 2013 at 21:44
Print Post  

Smiley I saw again this very good movie. In part of 7 years old Jérémiah, Jimmy BENNETT have a very good and moving play. Cole and Dylan SPROUSE also in part of 11 years old Jérémiah. My movie rating is 10/10 !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print