Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Thousand Months, A (2003) (Read 3,100 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Thousand Months, A (2003)
13. Jul 2004 at 06:02
Print Post  

review from the times :

it's the start of ramadan.

the year is 1981 and morocco is on the cusp of a turbulent period in its history.

but for the moment, the villagers on the hill are more concerned with watching the sunset and counting the minutes until they can break their daily fast.

the director reveals a tragicomic portrait of a community caught up in conflict.

there's nine-year-old mehdi whose teacher has singled him out for special responsibilities - he has to guard the teacher's chair.

mehdi takes the job seriously, anxiously hugging the chair with him everywhere...

a work of wit, intelligence and extraordinary beauty. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 05. Jul 2008 at 04:13 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: a thousand months (aka mille mois)
Reply #1 - 13. Jul 2004 at 11:28
Print Post  
Thanks apple
« Last Edit: 05. Jul 2008 at 04:13 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 13. Jul 2004 at 21:23
Print Post  
This one played in Montreal last year

I saw it elsewhere later last year, it put me to sleep. Sad

If I remember correctly, a certain visual bonus may cause some to seek it out anyway.  Shocked

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 07. Dec 2004 at 08:53
Print Post  
Got to see this movie today on TV. It's not one I'd want to have paid to see at the cinema...  very slow... but it works well enough on the box.

My major criticism is, that although most of the scenes are very well composed and the village locations are 100% authentic, the stationary camera shots used a lot throughout the film are too obvious and make the viewer too aware of the camera and even wondering 'where has the cameraman gone?' or perhaps 'why wasn't the movie edited more tightly?'  At times people walk in and out of camera view while the camera seems to forget to follow the actors and focuses on a wall or whatever.

Fouad Labied, the boy who plays Mehdi, is quite appealing and most of his scenes were worth watching, unfortunately if you add together his scenes he's probably only in about half of the film.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print