Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Info on If.... (Read 18,595 times)
Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Info on If....
22. Jul 2004 at 19:06
Print Post  
Has anyone seen this movie? If so, would you recomend it?

From IMDB.....

Plot Summary for
If.... (1968)
In an inditement of the British Boys School, we follow Mick and his mostly younger friends through a series of indignities and occasionally abuse as any fond feelings toward these schools are destroyed. When Mick and his friends rebel, violently, the catch phrase, "which side would you be on" becomes quite stark.

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: Info on If....
Reply #1 - 22. Jul 2004 at 19:08
Print Post  
Oops, I didn't mean for that sunglasses smiley to be there. It's supposed to say 1968.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 22. Jul 2004 at 19:49
Print Post  
This looks like a question for YA or cal, Elliott.

They are the only two to have rated it in our database.
I have it on VHS but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 22. Jul 2004 at 20:46
Print Post  
Funny. I also have it on VHS and have not watched it yet. It looks like an interesting movie, and I was first drawn to it because it stars Malcolm McDowell in his first major film role. You probably know him as Alex from A Clockwork Orange.

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 23. Jul 2004 at 00:42
Print Post  

I thought A Clockwork Orange was Malcolm McDowell's first big role. Undecided

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 23. Jul 2004 at 01:22
Print Post  
Well, it was the role that made him famous. But he did play in If... before. I'm not really sure how big that movie was when it came out.

By the way, I just saw Malcolm McDowell in a movie called Time After Time (1979) this evening. Good movie. There is only one boy in it and he has a very small role. (We see him for a few seconds only and he says one or two lines.) But he did become a rather famous child actor later on. He was 8 years old in this movie. Can anybody identify him (without cheating and looking at the credits on IMDb)?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #6 - 23. Jul 2004 at 02:35
Print Post  
Well, that sure can't be anyone but Corey Feldman, if you ask me, josephk.   Grin

I finally watched 'If' on vhs after having it on the shelf for many months, and there was that one strikingly handsome boy in it who played the object of the older boys' affections...  Roll Eyes

It was an interesting movie.  I didn't care for Malcolm McDowell in it, though.  Of course, as depressing as 'A Clockwork Orange' was for me when I saw it, I didn't really care for him in that, either.   Undecided

He was pretty good in that ape movie, though.   Cheesy

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 23. Jul 2004 at 06:18
Print Post  
I saw Clockwork Orange on TV a few weeks ago.  I hadn't seen it in many years...  it's still works.

I thought Malcolm McDowell was very good in both films...  and yes Joseph is correct about 'If..' being McDowell's first major role..  and it was a very big hit in the UK and here in Oz.

Sir J..  'ape movie'.  :laughing:  ... you mean the flick with Toss Heston in it?

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 23. Jul 2004 at 06:45
Print Post  
anyone ever thought of implementing google search technology  on this board?

it's very efficient - unlike the current search function!! Cry

see how quick it works : gasp with amazement - example below:

google search link - bottom right.

------------
i've been trying to track down a post i made about <u>if</u> : encountering the director in theatre stalls at a matinée of <u>midsummer night's dream</u>; how my schooldays/homicidal fantasies  resembled those portrayed in <u>if</u>

i can't remember thread in which that post appeared.

never mind.

i <b>highly</b> recommend <u>if</u>.

btw - clockwork orange used to be one of my favourite movies/books, possibly because i identified with alex.

another kubrick movie's my favourite of all time : <u>2001 a space odyssey</u>.

i was fortunately able to see it in the wraparound projection it merited : cinerama

was stanley sending a cryptic message to boylovers worldwide with his closing image of a globally overseeing baby boy?

there aren't many movies i've seen multiple times in the cinema;  they're two of them.

another malcolm mcdowell/lindsay anderson pic also qualifies for that accolade :

<u>o lucky man</u>

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 23. Jul 2004 at 09:04
Print Post  
"Well, that sure can't be anyone but Corey Feldman, if you ask me, josephk." 

Oh man, Jacob! I finally see a boy actor I can identify and you beat me to it! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 23. Jul 2004 at 09:27
Print Post  
apple...

that sounds like a good idea...  I'll chat to Bijou and see what he can do about the search function.

Oh and Kubrick and Lean are my two all time favourite directors. I saw the awesome '2001...' way back in about 1969 in Cinerama. sadly, most theatre screens are too small these days to do justice to such great works. Perhaps an Imax version of that movie would lure me to see it again for the umpteenth time.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #11 - 23. Jul 2004 at 09:42
Print Post  
a clckwork orange isone of my most favorite movies i saw if once but didnt care for it very much i cant remember why.

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #12 - 23. Jul 2004 at 11:04
Print Post  
Kubrick and Lean are my favorite directors as well.  The awesome 2001, A Space Odyssey, can only be truely appreciated in Cinerama.  In '69, I lived about a mile from the Cinerama theater in Hollywood (CA) and used to walk down to see 2001 about twice a week and never tired of it.  The theater was chopped up into a multiplex not long after.  I would love to see an Imax version.  (Lawrence of Arabia, my all-time favorite film, would also be stupendous in Imax)

I saw If about the same time and remembered liking it although being somewhat puzzled by the ending, not sure if it was a fantasy sequence or not.
I'm still uncertain.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #13 - 23. Jul 2004 at 11:12
Print Post  
Yes, that is of course Corey Feldman in the pics above, playing "boy in museum" in Time After Time. Malcolm McDowell says on the commentary track that he met him again years later and Coery was very excited to tell him that he had played in Time After Time.

Stanley Kubrick is one of my favourite directors too. I have seem almost all of his films, and so far there is not one of them that I didn't think was brilliant. My favourites are 2001: A Space Odyssey and the in my opinion very underrated The Shining.

This reminds me I made these caps from Barry Lyndon months ago and I never got around to sorting them out and making a gallery out of them. Perhaps I'll do that this weekend. Meanwhile, here's a preview:

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #14 - 23. Jul 2004 at 12:14
Print Post  
Of all Kubrick's films I think Barry Lyndon was probably the most under appreciated by the public. I think it's a fine movie and I prefer it to The Shining and Clockwork. Have any of you seen Dr Strangelove and Paths of Glory?  Both brilliant anti-war films as was Full Metal Jacket.

Oh and Wildeboy...  Lawrence is a fine choice as a favourite film. I too saw that one in Cinerama at the very same theatre I saw 2001. Unforgettable!

Btw Joseph..  I did mean to say that I recognized Feldman. His face as a little kid was very similar to his face when he was a teen.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print