Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Info on If.... (Read 18,665 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Info on If....
Reply #15 - 23. Jul 2004 at 12:54
Print Post  
Cal, the only major films by Kubrick I haven't seen yet are Paths of Glory and Spartacus. I forgot about Dr. Strangelove a while ago, but I would probably put it among my favourites with 2001 and The Shining.

I also haven't seen his two early films, Fear and Desire and Killer's Kiss. From one I heard, these are a little bit awkward but still interesting. Killer's Kiss is not too hard to find, but Fear and Desire is a bit of a rarity.

I maintain that The Shining is his most underrated film because (a) Kubrick fans dismiss it as a mere Stephen King adaptation, and (b) Stephen King fans dismiss it as a poor adaptation of the novel, too artsy and not faithful to the book. In addition, people usually complain that (c) it is not scary and (d) Shelley Duvall is annoying.

I disagree with all these claims.

(a) It may be inspired by a Stephen King Novel, but it rises above the horror genre with stunning cinematography and almost surreal imagery.

(b) I really don't care if the ending is not the same as in the book and I think Stephen King is a baby for constantly complaining about it. The mini-series that he produced later on was supposedly faithful to the book, but it was bland in comparison to Kubrick's visionary masterpiece.

(c) It may not have a lot of violent scenes or jump-out-of-your-seat moments, but I think it's a very creepy film and creates its scares out of atmosphere rather than cheap thrills, which is what the best horror films usually do.

(d) Shelley Duvall is a fine actress. She may not be pretty, but I never felt that her character was annoying or that she gave a poor performance. Her character is supposed to be a hysterical woman freaked out by her psychopathic husband, and that's exactly what she portrays in the film.

Oh, and as an added bonus, it has a cute boy as one of the lead characters. Smiley

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #16 - 23. Jul 2004 at 14:05
Print Post  
I look forward to seeing the Barry Lyndon galley! Cheesy

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #17 - 23. Jul 2004 at 15:15
Print Post  
The only time I saw 'If..' was 18 years ago on a movie channel.  An interesting movie as I remember but I really would like to re-evaluate it.  I do recall that the mix of b&w and color was not an artistic choice but a financial one. Tongue

My favorite Kubrick film is definitely 'Dr. Strangelove.' I find all his films interesting, though. I was a bit disappointed with 'The Shining' but that hasn't kept me from watching it about 14 times!  I think King IS a crybaby and has long since turned into a one-trick pony.  His own TV version of 'Shining' was inferior and campy and the ending was weak and forced.  I couldn't help noticing though that King's own version borrowed an awful lot of the music and mood effects that Kubnck used.

I love David Lean's films and I think that his 'Great Expectations' comes close to perfection in movie making. One could almost believe that Dickens himself wrote the screenplay and hung on Lean's elbow during filming. One critic said (to the effect) that Lean has a genius for capturing "spirit of place."

And that's Corey Feldman.  Grin

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #18 - 23. Jul 2004 at 22:21
Print Post  
You guys are smart.   Grin

Bu-u-u-ut... I was teasing about that "ape movie" comment I made.  One of you was supposed to point out to me that it was Roddy McDowell who played Cornelius in that series of movies.    Tongue

Okay, back to your discussion about Lean and Kubrick and King.  I just wanted to get back to my joke for a moment.   Wink

That kid looks like Corey Feldman.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to the Barry Lyndon caps, too!

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #19 - 24. Jul 2004 at 05:49
Print Post  
i wish i could show you all a photo of the house in which sir david lean lived.

i can't track down a picture.

in the 1980s i remember swooning with envy when i saw an article in the property section of the sunday times detailing his lifestyle.

he lived in the limehouse district of london.

an astonishingly opulent conversion of a warehouse complex abutting the river thames.

probably one of the most luxurious houses in london.

i believe it was called <u>sun wharf house</u> - tho' it may since have been renamed and/or converted into aparments.

according to the underlinked web site, a US lawyer now lives in part of it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #20 - 25. Jul 2004 at 03:34
Print Post  
at last - the truth can be revealed Cheesy

interview with malcom mcdowell in today's sunday herald :
-------------

Malcolm McDowell became the face of anti-establishment Britain with iconic roles in If and A Clockwork Orange, but his career collapsed amid drink and drug addiction.

Ahead of a unique appearance in Edinburgh, he tells Chris Lee about his rise and fall, and why 2004 represents a new beginning.

can it really be the end of the road for Malcolm McDowell? Approaching the actor’s secluded compound, a 100-acre citrus plantation situated atop rolling hills in a picturesque Californian valley, a diamond-shaped sign looms up out of the shrubbery: END COUNTY ROAD. But for McDowell, who is 61, the sign marks the only ending of any kind at this point in his life. This place of relentless sunshine and verdant growth is where he has chosen to begin anew. He lives here, nestled above a coastal savannah, two hours north of Los Angeles, with his wife of 13 years and six-month-old son.
Since making his 1968 debut as a public schoolboy with authority problems and a massive machine gun in Lindsay Anderson’s If, McDowell has never slowed his output. Throughout a wildly varied, if not downright scattershot career, he has appeared in some amazing productions; Anderson’s O Lucky Man! being one notable standout. But more often than not, McDowell has lent his talent to films that are better off forgotten. Cyborg 3: The Recycler, anyone?

Now well into his fourth decade as an actor, the Leeds native has hundreds of film, television and stage credits to his name; the man who slashed his way across moviegoer’s consciousness as Alex in Stanley Kubrick’s ultra-violent 1972 masterpiece A Clockwork Orange has nothing left to prove, and yet he maintains a carthorse workload: four films in the can this year and six more set for release through 2006.

“I’m starting all over again,” he says, settling into a plush sofa in his antiques-filled ranch-house living room. “I’m still working steadily and I’m as happy as I’ve ever been. My family is the most important thing in my life. In this case, O Lucky Man! is absolutely apt.”

While F Scott Fitzgerald may have famously proclaimed there are no second acts in American lives, McDowell, a transplant here since the early Eighties, finds steady employment these days. His youthful charisma and cruel good looks have matured into a kind of steely menace, lending gravitas to the hard men and evil masterminds he has played in recent films such as Gangster No. 1 and Mike Hodges’ I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead.

To hear McDowell tell it, he is absolutely content to be a journeyman actor instead of a movie star. “Listen, I do the best I can,” he says, still sounding every bit the pragmatic Yorkshireman. “Being a professional is the highest compliment you can give an actor – being able to do whatever is required. I’m not complaining. I have survived some horrendous movies. My whole thing is to work.”

It is the ethic of someone who has known both the blush of leading man stardom and the sting of drug addiction in middle age; a guy who has ridden out middling career doldrums but ultimately hung on to become a grandee by keeping his long-term goals in perspective. McDowell credits his outlook in large part to his professional relationship with the pioneering Scottish auteur, Lindsay Anderson.

“Lindsay gave me the tools to really be a much more complete actor, and one that would work through the generations and not just through the initial burst of youth,” he says. “The great thing about him was he had enormous respect for me as an actor – even though I didn’t deserve it.”

A towering figure in British film throughout the Sixties and Seventies, the director became virtually synonymous with McDowell as a result of their collaboration on a number of films, including a radical trilogy in which the actor plays a character named Michael ‘Mick’ Travis, all of which won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival. These were 1968’s If (an attack on the British public school system), 1973’s O Lucky Man!, (an impressionistic odyssey about a travelling salesman adrift amid the changing political currents of Seventies Britain), and 1982’s Britannia Hospital, (for which it is perhaps enough to explain McDowell donned a prosthetic horse head and thingy).

In tribute to his mentor, a sometimes bullying yet brilliant fixture of the Royal Court Theatre who passed away ten years ago next month, McDowell appears in Edinburgh to perform a one-man show comprised of his remembrances of Anderson and the director’s personal writings. “I’m going to make it a very loose evening,” McDowell says. “I want to give my recollections of a man that meant so much to me as a father, brother, mentor – whatever you want to call him – while keeping it as amusing and insightful as I can. It’s not going to be an academic type thing, me reading Lindsay’s criticism of British film.”

Coming up with rich material about Anderson should not be a problem for McDowell if the frequency with which the director’s name pops up during our conversation is any indication. “Most people that met him were in fear of him – he was an intimidating person,” McDowell says. “But he had a tremendous intellect and an extraordinary way of cutting through bullshit. I would have done anything for him.”

His movie debut in If led to McDowell’s career-defining part in A Clockwork Orange. “Stanley Kubrick cast me directly from If‚ I didn’t have an audition,” he remembers. “I said, ‘Can you tell me about this character?’ He said, ‘No. You did it for him‚’ meaning Lindsay, ‘now do it for me.’”

Attired in a black bowler and false eyelashes, a codpiece and jackboots, McDowell’s casually caustic murderer-rapist Alex merrily belts out Singin’ In The Rain while kicking one of his victims to death. He became the poster-boy for youth culture run amok in the Age of Aquarius. But if not for another key insight from Anderson, the characterisation might never have been.

“I really didn’t know how to play the part and suddenly got cold feet,” McDowell recalls. “I went to Linds and said, ‘How do I play the part, because I haven’t got a clue’. He read the script and said, ‘Malcolm, there’s a close-up in If when you’re coming into the gymnasium to be beaten. They want to do nothing but hurt you – and you smile at them. That’s the way you play this part.’” McDowell snaps his fingers loudly at the memory. “That was a great piece of direction!”

Within three years, the actor had morphed from a virtual unknown to cultural flashpoint – A Clockwork Orange was banned and censored in a multitude of countries – to bona fide leading man. McDowell’s career prospects seemed set in stone. Then, just as quickly as fame had come into his life, the rug was pulled out from under him. “There was an oil embargo in 1973 and all the American producers that were living in England doing all of these interesting films up and left,” he remembers. “That was the end of the British film industry as I knew it. It was over.

“I remember saying to my agent, ‘I’ve been in a few hits – what’s happened?’ He said, ‘I’m sending you a script called The Passage – it’s the only thing being made out of England this year – about a Nazi chasing Anthony Quinn and James Mason over the Pyrenees.’ I went, ‘Oh, f**king hell! This is horrendous!’”

But with that, McDowell’s attitude underwent significant adjustment. He made the choice to work rather than pursue the temporal vainglory of movie stardom. “If you’re an actor, you’re not going to do classic movies every time out. So suddenly I thought, ‘You’re not an auteur. Get on out there and work.’ So in The Passage‚ you see James Mason playing his part, hiding behind every boulder with his hat down, like he wasn’t even in the movie. And I was out there as the full SS Colonel, stomping around. I just went for it.”

Disillusionment with the movie biz – but never bitterness, McDowell will point out – had begun to take hold in 1979. He accepted a role as HG Wells in Time After Time, shooting in Hollywood. An on-set romance with co-star Mary Steenburgen prompted him to relocate to America, and also marked the end of his first marriage to Margot Bennett, whom he had wed in 1975. “I fell in love with the leading lady, we married, we had children, I wasn’t going to go back,” McDowell says of Steenburgen. “My career was set, hers was just starting and she wasn’t going to work in England. But then it all went south.”

This is an oblique reference to the battle with alcoholism and drug abuse that ultimately cost him his marriage. Although McDowell says he never hit what the 12-steppers call “rock bottom”, he remained a functioning alcoholic for years. Not that he realised it at the time.” I would drink wine at lunch and I would hate to not have a bottle of good wine,” he remembers. “I would say, ‘The only good thing about being a so-called movie star is that you can order the best damn bottle of wine on the menu.’ So that’s what I did. I would order a $100 bottle, which in the Seventies was like what a $1000 bottle is now. People would go, ‘Wow!’ I’d say, ‘I want a Premier Cru. Do you have a Chateau de la Tour? Let’s have it! What year? Let’s open it!’

“It was fun but it was all bullshit, just smokescreen. What it was was my body craving the alcohol. It just happened to be a very expensive bottle. But at the time, I loved it.”

[<i>apple would like to have met malcolm at this expensive toping stage of his life. Grin

apple once worked in the wine cellar of fortnum and mason - an upmarket brit dept store with a renowned food and wine dept.

he managed to extract some fine wines for his personal consumption.

they were delicious.

becoming an upmarket oenophile is one luxury i'd definitely indulge if i ever became rich!!]</i>

By the time cocaine entered the picture, McDowell’s relationship to the drug was somewhat normalised by freewheeling Eighties attitudes. “This is going to sound very weird, but at the time, cocaine was considered a non-addictive drug,” he says. “I remember I went to a story meeting at one of the studios and out came a bowl of cocaine. Everybody – including a lawyer there – took a few lines. The meeting went on for another hour with a lot of people talking at the same time. That was completely normal. And because I was an alcoholic already, but didn’t know it, I got addicted.”

Although naturally effusive, McDowell grows solemn when discussing the damage to his marriage caused by his hard-partying ways. But by then he was beyond the point where he could cut his losses and return home. “There was no question of going back to England because now here were two young children and I wanted to be involved with their lives.” McDowell and Steenburgen had two children, Lilly and Charles.

In 1983, McDowell made the decision to walk away from his decadent lifestyle. “I was one of the first celebs to go to the Betty Ford Clinic,” he says, snarling the word celeb into an ironic approximation of American English. “I haven’t had a drink since.”

Since becoming sober, McDowell has worked constantly. Some of his appearances – Gangster No. 1, Our Friends In The North – have been vintage, others, well, corked. “Do I make any apologies to my fans? Absolutely not!” he insists. “Do I feel any responsibility to them? Absolutely not! Every time I work, I invest as much of myself in a piece of crap as I do in a Stanley Kubrick film.”

So you know they’re crap when you agree to appear in them? “Of course! I’m not an idiot,” he booms. “I’m not idealistic. I’m realistic. I know exactly what I’m doing!”

The telephone suddenly rings and it’s McDowell’s agent. Something about a role that will take him to Russia. He is about to agree to take the part, but lays down a few ground rules first: “A car and driver is fine. In Moscow you can’t even drive yourself unless you want to be shot. It’s going to work out? Beautiful. Buh-bye!” He hangs up the phone.

McDowell turns back to me. “James Mason once told me there are three criteria for doing a film,” McDowell says. “Of course there’s the money, and then there’s the role – you’re always looking for the interesting part. But then there’s the location. And if you’re happy with at least two out of the three, you take it.”

That said, there has been a perceptible uptick in the kind of projects McDowell has been appearing in recently. The actor is very proud of his work in I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead, in which he appears opposite Clive Owen; he rhapsodises over working with Robert Altman on ballet drama The Company; and he recently wrapped Synergy, a film from American Pie director Paul Weitz that also stars Dennis Quaid and Hollywood’s current It girl Scarlett Johansson. This last project in particular seems to have brought McDowell back into the consciousness of LA’s notoriously fickle casting directors.

Up among his orange and lemon groves, his avocado trees and oaks, McDowell relates how a pack of senile bears roams the property but never disturbs his equally senile dogs – several pit bulls and a motley black and white he calls “the stupidest animal in the world”. By this time we are in the kitchen of the massive A-frame farmhouse he designed himself, and he is mooning over a contact sheet of photographs of his painter-photographer wife, Kelley.

The two met on the heels of his divorce from Steenburgen; McDowell was living in an apartment above the LA gallery where she was showing her work. The two are seldom apart and their six-month-old son, Beckett – a precocious flirt  8) according to the actor – is a real McDowell Mini-Me. “I’m much more relaxed as a parent, and enjoying it much more this time, says McDowell. “That’s not really fair to my grown kids. But the truth any older parent will tell you is it’s so much better the second time around.”

In this moment of domestic torpor, McDowell catches himself. The body language changes and he closes off. Turning slowly to face me, a glint of playful menace returns to his eyes. “I am a Californian beyond a shadow of a doubt,” he says with an air of finality. “I’ve had my shot and it was wonderful; I’ve made some great films. Now I’ve just hit my 60s and this is another decade where some great parts are going to come down the pike. How many actors can say that at the end of the day?”

Malcolm McDowell seems genuinely happy here in his Californian hideaway. He may be literally at the end of the road, but his life and career seems to be at more of an interesting fork. And, unlike many actors, he never has to ask what his motivation is.

Malcolm McDowell will present Lindsay Anderson: A Personal Remembrance at the Traverse Theatre, August 23, 3pm & 8pm, £15 (£9 & £4.50), 0131 623 8030 and 0131 228 1404.

O Lucky Man! will screen at Filmhouse 1, August 21, 3pm, £7.95 (£5.20).

There will be a panel discussion of Lindsay Anderson at Filmhouse 1, August 22, 3.30pm, £7.95 (£5.20).

Anderson’s The Whales Of August will screen at Filmhouse 1, August 22, 5.30pm, £7.95 (£5.20), 0131 623 8030

25 July 2004

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #21 - 25. Jul 2004 at 06:26
Print Post  
That was an interesting read... 

He certainly has had a full live. A revitalized career and a six year old son too... what more could an actor want?

I think I learnt a new word ... 'oenophile'.

That's if you are not, err, pulling my cork!

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #22 - 20. Aug 2014 at 00:12
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 23. Jul 2004 at 12:54:
I maintain that The Shining is his most underrated film because (a) Kubrick fans dismiss it as a mere Stephen King adaptation, and (b) Stephen King fans dismiss it as a poor adaptation of the novel, too artsy and not faithful to the book. In addition, people usually complain that (c) it is not scary and (d) Shelley Duvall is annoying.

(a) It may be inspired by a Stephen King Novel, but it rises above the horror genre with stunning cinematography and almost surreal imagery.

(b) I really don't care if the ending is not the same as in the book and I think Stephen King is a baby for constantly complaining about it. The mini-series that he produced later on was supposedly faithful to the book, but it was bland in comparison to Kubrick's visionary masterpiece.

(c) It may not have a lot of violent scenes or jump-out-of-your-seat moments, but I think it's a very creepy film and creates its scares out of atmosphere rather than cheap thrills, which is what the best horror films usually do.

(d) Shelley Duvall is a fine actress. She may not be pretty, but I never felt that her character was annoying or that she gave a poor performance. Her character is supposed to be a hysterical woman freaked out by her psychopathic husband, and that's exactly what she portrays in the film.

Oh, and as an added bonus, it has a cute boy as one of the lead characters. Smiley

I totally agree!

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 07. Sep 2014 at 15:06
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 20. Aug 2014 at 00:12:
Reply #22 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 4:12pm     josephk wrote on Jul 23rd, 2004 at 4:54am:

Oh, and as an added bonus, it has a cute boy as one of the lead characters.

I totally agree!

Me too, I once saw a documentary on this film, It even had an interview with Danny Lloyd! Grin I also read a Bio of Danny a few yrs. ago, he stated that at the time he working on set, he didn't know that it was a Thriller/Horror movie and didn't know til yrs. later! he wasn't allowed to watch it or go to the premier! Danny didn't like acting because of so much downtime between his scenes, plus he had other interests that were more important to him at that age! The documentary I saw I'm sure is now on the DVD/Blu Ray as the extras! The doc was filmed by Kubrick's Daughter if memory serves! Smiley

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #24 - 07. Sep 2014 at 17:47
Print Post  
I saw an interview with Danny Lloyd and he said he got paid a whole lot of money!

He said he got paid $500

Grin

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08. Sep 2014 at 04:06
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 07. Sep 2014 at 17:47:
He said he got paid $500

Well, it WAS a lot of to him!  Cheesy

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #26 - 11. Sep 2014 at 07:00
Print Post  

Cheesy

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #27 - 17. Sep 2014 at 05:57
Print Post  
Here is the interview where Danny Lloyd says that he made $500 dollars for doing The Shining

Danny's Interview starts at 06:59

Cheesy

« Last Edit: 17. Sep 2014 at 15:54 by bowser »  

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 17. Sep 2014 at 13:48
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 17. Sep 2014 at 05:57:
Here is the interview where Danny Lloyd says that he made $500 dollars for doing The Shining

Thanks Bowser! this is the one I was referring to, it's available on the DVD/Blu Ray.

I wish Danny had stayed in acting, he had the kind of face the camera loved! Grin Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print