Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Eres mi héroe (2003) (Read 5,844 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Eres mi héroe (2003)
04. Sep 2004 at 04:10
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

from empireonline.co.uk :

<i>The gay rites-of-passage picture is becoming familiar in continental cinemas.

But while recent French offerings have taken themselves a tad too seriously, this Spanish tale of an insecure outsider battling to make his mark in yet another new school gets the blend of adolescent innocence and knowing comedy just about right.

Wide-eyed lead Lozano holds proceedings together with admirable composure, whether he’s conversing with a make-believe Indian, or spectacularly failing to seduce pretty Carmen Navarro. Director Cuadri makes the most of his setting in the days before Franco’s 1975 demise to compare Lozano’s sexual awakening with the national sense of liberation, but wisely doesn’t overdo the parallels.

Droll, then, but not exactly deep.</i>

« Last Edit: 27. Aug 2008 at 03:42 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: you're my hero [eres mi heroe]
Reply #1 - 06. Sep 2004 at 21:17
Print Post  
I have to question how closely this reviewer watched the film if he called it a "gay rites-of-passage picture." :disgust:
That description is someone's wishful thinking or an example of reading way way more into the film than what is actually there.

That having been said, this was one of my favorites from last year and it is heartily recommended to all.

For those who can't wait, it has been released on DVD in Spain with French & English subs.  Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 05. Jun 2005 at 07:46
Print Post  

A really excellent movie.

I'd seen this previously without English Subtitles and have been wanting to see it again with subs.  It's turned up on the World Movies channel here and I watched tonight's premiere screening.

Zab is quite right about the 'gay' content....there isn't any... the boys are very hetro.

This has become one of my all time favourite movies. A coming of age movie in a country escaping from political turmoil and religious opression.  Manuel Lozano gives a fine performance... he is easily one of the very best young actors in the world today.

10/10

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #3 - 19. Sep 2006 at 17:51
Print Post  
I know I'm a "Johnny come lately" but...

This was a wonderful movie.  I'm trying to learn Spanish right now, too, so the subtitles helped a lot.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 21. Sep 2006 at 13:17
Print Post  
Swede

..a little request  Smiley

This movie has only 4 votes on the database. Would you please be kind enough to include your rating for the movie on the database profile. The fifth vote will allow the movie to be included in the list of top rated films.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Eres mi héroe (2003)
Reply #5 - 05. Jun 2014 at 22:03
Print Post  
Smiley I have seen this evening this very good spanish movie. I have liked the veru good and moving play of Manuel LOZANO in part of Ramon but alos this one of Félix LOPEZ in part of David. My movie rating is 10/10 !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print