Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Blue Butterfly, The (2004) (Read 3,141 times)
socksoles
Silver Member

Blue Butterfly, The (2004)
14. Sep 2004 at 16:22
Print Post  

An interesting movie that seems to have escaped from our attention, starring Marc Donato.

Marc plays the role of Pete Carlton, 10, who is terminally ill with brain cancer. His last wish is to catch the most beautiful butterfly on earth, the Blue Morpho or the Mariposa Azul, found only in South America. Knowing her son will die within months, Teresa is determined to overcome any obstacle that stands between Pete and his dream. She convinces Alan Osborn, a renowned entomologist who prefers insects over people, to take the wheelchair-bound Pete to the rainforest. Deep in the majesty and mystery of the jungle, Pete and Alan must overcome numerous dangers, hardship and pain. The Blue Butterfly resists capture and leads our heroes into a life-and-death adventure that transforms their lives. The Blue Butterfly is the story of a boy with a dream so compelling that everyone involved in its pursuit will be changed forever.

Source: official website ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links))

'soles' :cwm39:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 03. Jul 2008 at 03:53 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: The Blue Butterfly (Canada/UK, 2004)
Reply #1 - 14. Sep 2004 at 19:22
Print Post  
Blue Butterfly was shown at the Montreal Film Festival for free. The screening was in a tent and I figured it would be dubbed in french, so I passed.

I am hopeful this will be decent, although I haven't been impressed with past Marc Donato films.....

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: The Blue Butterfly (Canada/UK, 2004)
Reply #2 - 14. Sep 2004 at 22:08
Print Post  
Yeah, I was going to check this one out at the festival, but after seeing Gaz Bar Blues in that tent, I decided not to see any other movies there. The screens were too small, the image quality was poor, the seats were uncomfortable, and it was just a very unpleasant atmosphere for watching a movie. Besides, this is a Canadian film and I'm sure it won't be too difficult for me to find it, either on TV or in video stores.

Lea Pool, the director, can be brilliant, but not all her films have been great. Emporte-moi (1999) was a very beautiful movie, but I heard nothing but negative comments on her follow up, Lost and Delirious (2001).

So this one could go either way. I think Mark Donato is ok as an actor. Not really his fault if he's been in mostly crappy movies (Pay It Forward being one of the worst offenders). He was in a very cute short by David Cronenberg called Camera, which I have on DVD as an extra feature of the recently released Criterion Collection edition of Videodrome.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print