Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Undertow (2004) (Read 10,328 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Undertow (2004)
26. Sep 2004 at 07:53
Print Post  

jamie bell's new movie.

and his YF?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 07. Sep 2008 at 05:45 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: undertow
Reply #1 - 01. Oct 2004 at 23:16
Print Post  
That would be

The film is in my Chicago film festival preview post, I'll let you know what I think about it in a few weeks.

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 07. Apr 2005 at 18:05
Print Post  
This is scheduled for a Region 1 DVD release on April 26th.

IP Logged

Keegan

BA Member

Reply #3 - 08. Apr 2005 at 12:08
Print Post  
The movie is rather nice and I would even advise to buy the dvd even if you have not seen the movie before. A lot of similarities with the story of the Night of the hunter. Devon Allan's character is rather complex and very well portrayed.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 08. Apr 2005 at 12:57
Print Post  
I think this looks like a good movie and I'll probably rent the DVD. (Even if I hated director David Gorden Green's previous effort, George Washington.)

IP Logged

Keegan

BA Member

Reply #5 - 08. Apr 2005 at 14:08
Print Post  
Addendum:

Quote:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Do not expect this shot to appear in the picture, it doesn't.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #6 - 08. Apr 2005 at 14:42
Print Post  
Thanks for resurrecting this Rembrandt as I'm a wee bit behind in offering my promised opinion.

Keegan is right that there are similarities between this and Night of the Hunter. There are also similarities between Undertow and Days of Heaven and Macon County Line two very different films of yore.

I had the chance to see the David Gordon Green present his film in Chicago last fall and he mentioned both Hunter and the southern fried drive-in movies of his youth as style influences on this film.

My personal take is that these weird stylistic decisions, along with some odd plot decisions, ruined any chance for commercial success. Jamie Bell was pretty darn good in the film however, his American accent was very good. All in all I would consider it a good rental, but not a must buy.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 09. Apr 2005 at 00:54
Print Post  
Quote:
Addendum:

Do not expect this shot to appear in the picture, it doesn't.

Does anyone know where that shot came from then?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 09. Apr 2005 at 01:23
Print Post  
Just a guess, Cal, but it could simply be a still photography taken on set during the shooting. It's not uncommon for publicists to use still photos to market the film.

Another possibility is that it could be a scene that didn't make it to the final cut.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 31. May 2005 at 23:25
Print Post  
Oh yup... after seeing the movie...  it looks like it is a publicity shot taken by a photographer.  It is at least appropriate, because there is a similiar scene in the movie.

I didn't like the film itself very much. I thought the photography was very good and the acting was also a plus... and Devon was spectacular to look at.

But... I really disliked the music which I found distracting...  it sounded like something from 'The Omen', in the first half of the film then it seemed to imitate 'Deliverance' later on.

The direction was suspect at times and had me shaking my head in disbelief... and even the characters themselves were just too dumb a lot of the time.

My rating for the movie 6/10
Jamie Bell's acting  8/10
Devon Alan's acting 7/10
Devon Alan's appeal  10/10
Music  5/10
Direction 5.5/10
Screenplay 5/10

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Undertow (2004)
Reply #10 - 14. May 2010 at 21:31
Print Post  
Well, I am certainly bumping this old topic after nearly five years! I recently bought the DVD of 'Undertow' mainly to see fellow Brit boy actor Jamie Bell. Wonder what made the film-makers choose Bell when there must have been 101 American boy actors all eager to take the part?
I thought the film was quite good even if it took a long time to get anywhere. The appearance of Devon Alan as the younger brother was a real bonus. Devon was a real good-looker. I have to give it to you Americans, you can certainly produce the boy actor stunners! The menace of Uncle Deel was brought in slowly at first but then he's killing his brother, the boy's father, and trying to knife all and sundry. A bit sudden I thought. Then, at the end, silly Chris (Jamie Bell) just lets all the precious Mexican gold coins slip
into the river when the boys don't have a dime to their name. Uncle Deel then pushes the absurd boy's head under the water which I thought was going to be the end of him but the uncle gets stabbed and Chris ends up in hospital - not drowned apparently. Everyone lives happily ever after BUT minus the valuable coins for gawd's sake!
I smiled at Cal's ratings. Devon Alan gets 7 for acting but 10 for appeal. I agree though I would award the overall film 7 stars. I liked the scene where the two boys are wrestling in the rain in their undies! Hey, how come Devon hogs nearly all the stills in the gallery? What's wrong with nice Jamie from Billingham (actually not far from where I live!) Smiley

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #11 - 15. May 2010 at 01:45
Print Post  
Hey, how come Devon hogs nearly all the stills in the gallery? What's wrong with nice Jamie from Billingham

Cinefan, why not provide some yourself?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #12 - 31. May 2010 at 16:21
Print Post  
There's nothing wrong with Jamie Bell, other than the fact that he's too old (in this movie) to qualify for inclusion on our database. (Cut off age is 15.) Hence why there aren't many pics of him in the gallery.

I saw this movie recently and didn't like it very much. I gave the movie a generous 6 on the database. (I see that Cal was also feeling generous, as he gave it a 7 instead of his stated 6 in this thread.) Director David Gordon Green has a good eye for framing nice shots. But I think his problem is his screenplays.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #13 - 15. Jun 2010 at 19:50
Print Post  
Quote:
I see that Cal was also feeling generous, as he gave it a 7 instead of his stated 6 in this thread.

I suspect that Devon cast a spell on me. My objective rating would be a 6 at the best. Devon's presence however pushes it to a 7 because I'd watch it again.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #14 - 15. Jun 2010 at 20:01
Print Post  
SmileyI saw this movie that I have in DVD. Jamie BELL is excellent in the part of the protector great brother and Devon ALAN realy fabulous and moving in his part of little brother. I liked very much  character and his play of Devon in this movie that I enjoy to see and to see again !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print