Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Where Is the Friend's Home? (1987) (Read 5,687 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Where Is the Friend's Home? (1987)
09. Nov 2004 at 23:35
Print Post  

Same deal as for The Reflecting Skin... these are from a DivX file. As far as I know the movie is not available on DVD (at least not in Region 1).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 02. Mar 2005 at 08:38 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: Where Is the Friend's Home? (1987)
Reply #1 - 11. Nov 2004 at 17:16
Print Post  
I hope I get to see it. Iranian filmmakers seem to have a special tenderness in dealing with boy themes.  From the films I've seen so far, anyway.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 14. Nov 2004 at 10:10
Print Post  
I'm glad you got the assistance you needed joseph, these pictures are great!

YA, this film is on VHS only in the US, but it is extremely hard to find. It is similar to other Iranian films in style and pacing, but the technical aspects of the film are noticably weaker.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 14. Nov 2004 at 11:15
Print Post  
"It is similar to other Iranian films in style and pacing, but the technical aspects of the film are noticably weaker."

That's debatable. If to you lower budget means weaker, then yeah, ok. Otherwise, I'd say his films are much stronger than any of the recently successful Iranian films.

But as far as I'm concerned, Kiarostami is the best and most interesting Iranian filmmaker working today. The difference is that he is completely independant. In fact, his films are not even shown in Iran, because they don't get the approval of the government. (This one may have been shown, but I know recent ones weren't.)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 14. Nov 2004 at 12:32
Print Post  
Okay, so let's debate  Smiley

The comment about the tech credits being not up to speed refer to Where is the Friend's Home specifically. The production values of The Color of Paradise, Children of Heaven or even more recent Kiarostami films such as The Wind Will Carry Us are far superior to the print of WITFH which is available in the USA.

I agree that it is possible to have a pretty good film with low production values, after all I did score WITFH a 7 in our db, but I don't think a convincing argument can be made that the cinematography, sound design etc. of this film stacks up to more recent Iranian productions.

As to the movie itself, the story is the most compelling component of the film for me and well worth watching on that basis alone. It has been suggested that a rewrite of the story was the basis for the Dutch film Het Zakmes starring Olivier Tuinier.
Some day I hope to see that film as well.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 14. Nov 2004 at 15:11
Print Post  
Yeah, ok. I see what you mean.

I just don't like the term "weaker" because it sounds like a negative criticism. As if Kiarostami was not as strong a filmmaker as others when it comes to technical aspects. I think the decision to make very personal films with a small crew and low budget is an artistic choice for Kiarostami. It has nothing to do with talent. And when something is qualified as "weak" it makes it sound like it's a lack of talent that's responsible, not an aesthetic decition.

But if you just want to say that the production values in those other films are superior, then of course I can't argue with you. It goes without saying, almost. These filmmakers are getting financing and support from the Iranian government, and their films are made with a much bigger budget. They are geared towards the international (meaning American) market and submitted as official candidates in the Oscar run. Kiarostami is an underdog compared to them. He makes his films his own way and on his own terms, with his own money, and he shows them in festivals around the world, but not in his own country.

That is not necessarily to say that he is better than the others. That might be a question of taste. But he's a filmmaker for whom I have a lot of respect.

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 22. Feb 2005 at 00:30
Print Post  
I would realy like to see this on DVD. The freckles do it for me.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 02. Mar 2005 at 08:41
Print Post  
I've put the pics in a gallery:

..and instead of just deleting the thread I've moved it over here to the Reviews Forum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print