Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bad News Bears (2005) (Read 9,488 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Bad News Bears (2005)
12. Mar 2005 at 08:23
Print Post  

I know this remake of the classic 1976 film that turned into a popular franchise has been discussed before, but I haven't found a review thread for it.

Notable young actors include:

Ridge Canipe
Timmy Deters
Carter Jenkins
Seth Adkins
Tyler Patrick Jones
Jeffrey Tedmori

A brand new trailer is now available:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

In theatres Summer 2005.
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 14:54 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Bad News Bears (2005)
Reply #1 - 12. Mar 2005 at 08:27
Print Post  
Actor profiles:

Jeffrey Tedmori is not yet in our database, but here is his IMDb page: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Check the movie page on IMDb too. I am probably missing some of the actors: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 12. Mar 2005 at 09:39
Print Post  
Thanks for the tip, joseph. Thumbs Up:

I'm not sure what to make of this after watching the trailer. My only impression is that the Buttermaker character seems to be a lot more snide than he was in the original.

This is going to be a tough summer for people my age with two of our classic kids films being remade. I hope I like the new ones, but I'm not sure I will be able to overcome my biases about what the films ought to be instead of taking them for what they are.

IP Logged

MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 13. Mar 2005 at 23:55
Print Post  
I can't imagine they can make the 2005 Bears, and their coach, as potty-mouthed as the originals and keep a PG-13 rating.  Hollywood is nowhere near as permissive for the PG rating as it was in the 70's.  (I bet most people would not believe that.)  I'm looking forward to this movie - with 3 stars born in 1994!   But my expectations are not too high that it can match the Bad News standards set by the original.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #4 - 14. Mar 2005 at 17:29
Print Post  
I seen picture from this film and wonder about actors.

I see some thing in america films and how it try to be good for all people who see movie like this.  On baseball team they got asian boy and african-american boy and caucasion boys and a girl and also overweight boy and also boy in wheelchair who got handicap.

I seen this in  other films from america that got sports team for kids but not very real.  How come dont show team like really would be instead of try to make every person who see beleive it is normal to have team like this.  I think good to have lots different culture and people but not very real in most place I dont think.

I think I seen some of bad news bears on cable but cant remember what film I seen or if just old tv show they have on tvland channel when I was ten or eleven.

Too many films and tv show and now make another movie of same thing.

I wish would re make good film like Old Yeller.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #5 - 16. Mar 2005 at 22:55
Print Post  
Jasen,

While I would agree that many films have characters who personify "diversity" to make the film more interesting to more people, I think that the Bad News Bears were originally cast as a parody of that trend and not as an extension of it.

With all due apologies to the sensitive and easily offended among us..... you do remember Tanner's legendary quote, "All we got on this team are a bunch of Jews, spics, niggers, pansies, and a booger - eatin' moron!"

I wonder as well about how they are going to capture the profane charm of the original and not have it be rated R.
Somewhere I was reading a comment that it should be easier to write the story now because society is so PC that there is more to lampoon. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

IP Logged

jvaldez

BA Member

Reply #6 - 01. Apr 2005 at 09:28
Print Post  
I will most definitely catching this one.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #7 - 01. Apr 2005 at 22:44
Print Post  
Zabladowski thank you for telling me more about first film.  I think I seen some on cable but it was tv station that got edit in movies and line you say from the coach is probably not on that channel.

I seen the tv show reruns on tvland when I was in fourth or fifth grade and I like the tv show Bad News Bears very much.  Mabey some day 3 old movies will be on dvd set of 3.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 23. Jul 2005 at 12:45
Print Post  
Just as I suspected, Tanner's original rant was viewed as not acceptable for modern audiences.......

This story is from the Los Angeles Times

'Bad News' for filmgoers under 10
The makers of the new "Bad News Bears" caution that the film hardly represents a safe night out for the whole family.

By John Horn, Times Staff Writer

Nearly three decades after they first took the field, the young "Bad News Bears" baseball players are as hapless as ever. But in a sign of evolving movie ratings and shifting pop-culture politics, they have cleaned up their act. They no longer smoke, they don't drink and they aren't given to racial epithets.

Other than that, they are raunchier than ever, and the new "Bad News Bears" has nearly as many four-letter words as it does bats and gloves.

Just as the "Austin Powers" movies pushed the edge of the ratings envelope, so too did the original "Bad News Bears." Released in 1976, eight years before the PG-13 rating was created, the movie earned the PG mark, a broad category that at the time ranged from an intense action film, "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," to an Oscar-winning drama, "Paper Moon," and gave little warning of the film's ribald content.

The new "Bad News Bears" also occupies an unusual place within the film-ratings spectrum. Although its PG-13 mark allows children of any age to attend the film, the film's makers are cautioning parents that it hardly represents a safe night out for the entire household.

"This is a pretty hard PG-13," director Richard Linklater said. "It's not a family movie. I wouldn't take children under 10."

The delicate balancing act between bawdy edginess and don't-go-there sacrilege was on display on an Encino baseball diamond in February, as production on the remake that opens today was winding down. Following a G-rated scene in which the Bears try (and, naturally, fail) to catch a routine fly ball, the movie's kids repaired to the dugout for some riskier business, filming dialogue about how the word "team" should be spelled with an "F" and a "U."

"We want to keep the movie PG-13," co-producer Bruce Heller said before the scene was shot. "And it's going to be tough."

Paramount Pictures ultimately was able to win the PG-13 rating — the filmmakers reworked one scene involving some potentially borderline dialogue about a crack pipe — with the warning that the film includes "rude behavior, language throughout, some sexuality and thematic elements." Yet the film also excised a number of scenes from the original 1976 movie that were considered too politically incorrect for today's audiences.

One of the most notable exclusions is an iconic line spoken in the original film by a character named Tanner Boyle, in which the ballplayer denounces his team's ethnic and religious makeup, using slurs for Latinos and African Americans.

"Bad News Bears" screenwriters John Requa and Glenn Ficarra ("Bad Santa") initially included the insults in the remake's screenplay. When the scene was finally read aloud by the actors in an early rehearsal, they quickly reconsidered their choice.

"There was dead silence," said Linklater ("School of Rock"). "It just reminded us how much humor and the culture changes over time. It's a different time and place now. It's just not funny."

Although the remake is faithful to the original movie (original screenwriter Bill Lancaster, who died in 1997, even shares a screenplay credit on the new film), Linklater and his two screenwriters also cut out scenes from the Walter Matthau version in which members of the Bears drink beer and smoke cigarettes.

"We were told in no uncertain terms that showing the kids smoking or drinking was a guaranteed R" rating from the Motion Picture Assn. of America, Requa said.

The kids were allowed to serve their alcoholic coach (Billy Bob Thornton) cocktails and also are seen drinking nonalcoholic beer.

As for the film's multiple vulgarities, Ficarra said, "The MPAA doesn't mind, as long as you are not referring to [sexual] penetration."

The idea for the remake was hatched at Thornton's manager's office and was pitched to Paramount, which had made the original.

Thornton's off-color comedy "Bad Santa" had been a recent hit, and Paramount's thinking was to marry that film's star and its audacious writers with what it felt was a topical story about competition, sportsmanship and redemption.

"There's a message in it for kids that is really good, and they are not going to watch the older movie," Thornton said. The message, the actor said, "is that it doesn't matter if you're not as big or fast as the other kids, because maybe you're better than you think you are. We've always loved movies about underdogs and misfits." The challenge was to combine those wholesome themes with the first film's uncouth pedigree. Although the original film was well reviewed, it also generated some criticism.

"It was pretty scandalous," Linklater said.

Added Ficarra: "It was the first movie I saw that showed how other kids talked. It seemed so real to me."

In adapting the 1976 version for today's moviegoers, Linklater, Ficarra and Requa faced a predicament: Water down the dialogue too much, and you alienate the original film's fans; make it too raunchy, and you've got a comedy about 12-year-olds for which only adults can purchase tickets.

Thornton, whose own baseball career ended mere minutes into a tryout with the Kansas City Royals, believes today's kids are exposed to much more worrisome fare on television and in video games.

"I'd much rather my kids watch a movie with cursing than a movie with violence," said Thornton, whose middle children are 11 and 12. " 'South Park' has language much worse than this, and it's on TV. Video games like Grand Theft Auto are incredibly violent."

Paramount's marketing campaign has tried to emphasize the mature elements of the film, essentially saying that "Bad News Bears" is to Little League what "Bad Santa" was to Father Christmas.

At a time when riskier fare like "Wedding Crashers" is playing well, it might be the right pitch at the right time.

Already, "Bad News Bears" is getting mixed reviews from some younger kids. Linklater said he took his 12-year-old daughter to a recent screening.

Said Linklater: "She said the parts that weren't disgusting were pretty funny."

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 27. Jul 2005 at 16:26
Print Post  
Quote:
Jasen,

While I would agree that many films have characters who personify "diversity" to make the film more interesting to more people, I think that the Bad News Bears were originally cast as a parody of that trend and not as an extension of it.

With all due apologies to the sensitive and easily offended among us..... you do remember Tanner's legendary quote, "All we got on this team are a bunch of Jews, spics, niggers, pansies, and a booger - eatin' moron!"

I wonder as well about how they are going to capture the profane charm of the original and not have it be rated R.
Somewhere I was reading a comment that it should be easier to write the story now because society is so PC that there is more to lampoon. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

That's a very good observation, Zab.  What people have to remember when trying to reconcile this with the success of thr original is the times.  Back then, BNB was a standout because it cast kids as they has rarely been seen on screen before - as ill mannered and foulmouthed as one could imagine.

Compare that with today, when unfortunately just about every film and TV show with kids - especially boys - in it kills themselves trying to portray that same stereotype.  This just won't have the same draw as the original; instead it will be judged on how much it tries to stay within the lines of PC-ness and acceptability.

You also had a good point about the observation with Butterfield's labguage.  Back then, those words in his quoye stood on their own lwgs because the behavior of the kids was so inane that it helped to show how undersirable they were.  As opposed to today where we are conditioned to make less value judgments and just be more pragmatic, any mention of the word is eschewed - regardless of intention.

Smiley
MJ

IP Logged

psa727

BA Member

Reply #10 - 26. Jun 2006 at 00:13
Print Post  
I hated this film.  I cannot believe I spent money to see it.  Give me the original Bad News Bears any day.  Too much cursing and swearing for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print