Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Lepel (2005) (Read 5,458 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Lepel (2005)
04. May 2005 at 22:53
Print Post  
Lepel is a new Dutch/German coproduction now making its way across the Atlantic.
Joep Truyen is the star of the film. He previously had a small role in Pietje Bell and appeared in two short films which haven't been widely distributed.

Nine-year-old Lepel has an odd name – in Dutch it means “spoon.” Unfortunately, Lepel can’t ask his parents why they chose this name for him because they mysteriously disappeared in a hot-air balloon – so long ago, in fact, that he can’t even remember them.
Now Lepel lives with his greedy grandma Koppenol, spending his time sorting buttons and organizing her shop. Koppenol is tight-lipped with information about Lepel’s parents, only letting on that they are adventurers. Lepel still hopes for their return, longing for the love and comfort of real parents, instead of making do with Koppenol, who is cold, mean and bossy. She likes to steal the buttons from clothes in the department store and always forces Lepel to help her. On one of these excursions, Lepel decides to escape, hiding until the shop closes and all of the workers leave.
But he’s not alone. Pleun, a streetwise girl who lives behind the sweaters in menswear, decides to help Lepel get away from his grandmother once and for all. With Koppenol hot on their trail, Lepel and Pleun try to locate his missing parents – but to no avail.
However, the truth behind Lepel’s strange name proves to be a link to his current circumstances and, together with Pleun and a kind-hearted shop assistant named Max, he manages to find the parents for whom he has always yearned.
Lepel is a colourful film about a determined boy that is often whimsical and always hopeful.

An official site is available at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Neeltje de Vree plays Lepel's sidekick. Euro film fans might remember her as the star of the Belgian film Sea of Silence.

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Re: Lepel (2005)
Reply #1 - 05. May 2005 at 04:02
Print Post  
I will look forward to this one.

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 05. May 2005 at 06:40
Print Post  
Quote:
Lepel is a new Dutch/German coproduction now making its way across the Atlantic.
Joep Truyen is the star of the film. He previously had a small role in Pietje Bell and appeared in two short films which haven't been widely distributed.

Nine-year-old Lepel has an odd name – in Dutch it means “spoon.” Unfortunately, Lepel can’t ask his parents why they chose this name for him because they mysteriously disappeared in a hot-air balloon – so long ago, in fact, that he can’t even remember them.
Now Lepel lives with his greedy grandma Koppenol, spending his time sorting buttons and organizing her shop.

Sounds like a throwback to Erik Per Sullivan in the Bea Arthur episode of Malcolm...Wink

Sounds like a good one.

Smiley
MJ

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #3 - 05. May 2005 at 23:46
Print Post  
zabladowski is this new story?  I think long time ago I read book that got same story almost exact same about boy must work in store and he stay at night and girl is there behind clothes.

It is long time since read story and dont know name of it.  I think in library at school I was third or fourth grade.

If not same story I wonder if almost same.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 08. May 2005 at 15:55
Print Post  
It was a very good film MJ, although not particularly like the episode you quote. If this film were made in the US, the grandma would need to be played by Bette Midler rather than Bea Arthur. The boy is the personification of childhood innocence, a characteristic that is neither portrayed nor celebrated often in American mass media.

Jasen, the story you remember does sound similar but it can't be the same. The producer of the film was at the screeening I attended and she said that this was an original screenplay that has been released in book form only recently.
Also, Lepel met the girl in the store he was hiding out in, not the one he was working in. I wonder what was the name of the story you read?

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #5 - 08. May 2005 at 20:42
Print Post  
I dont know what name of book is zabladowski it is very long time ago.  I got good  memory most of time expecially for movies but some times forget book and I read it at least five year ago.

if boy dont work in store then is diferent story I know it.

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Reply #6 - 06. Aug 2005 at 13:04
Print Post  
DVD R2 will be released this month. DVD includes English subtitles and can be ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles :cwm39:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print