Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Goosebumps (Read 19,107 times)
drewski
Bronze Member

BA Member

Goosebumps
29. Jan 2006 at 11:07
Print Post  
Does anyone know anything about the Goosebumps TV series? I'm aware of the series of books and I've seen the tee-shirts for years. From what I've been able to find out, it's a Canadian series and the actors are not the same from episode to episode. Can anyone state their opinion about the quality of the series? Are there certain episodes which are exceptional? I've noticed that Amazon offers many episodes, but I'm not sure which one to try first!

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: Goosebumps
Reply #1 - 29. Jan 2006 at 12:03
Print Post  
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about the Goosebumps TV series? I'm aware of the series of books and I've seen the tee-shirts for years. From what I've been able to find out, it's a Canadian series and the actors are not the same from episode to episode.

It was also seen in the US.  First on Fox, then on the Family Channel in the late 90s.

Quote:
Can anyone state their opinion about the quality of the series? Are there certain episodes which are exceptional? I've noticed that Amazon offers many episodes, but I'm not sure which one to try first!

I would say find one with a star you like, and get that one. Now that it is 10 years later, we can see that a lot of Canadian kiddies were in this show who later became well-known (at least to us)...

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 29. Jan 2006 at 19:19
Print Post  
The series was aired in Australia too, but it's been a few years since it's been seen. There is such a lot of money in video and DVD sales these days that the owners of the series are probably making more profit by not allowing it to screen on TV anymore.

The episodes were watchable, but nothing terribly memorable. Plenty of appealing young actors though.

IP Logged

drewski
Bronze Member

BA Member

Chilology and Sink
Reply #3 - 06. Feb 2006 at 19:39
Print Post  
I've decided to try the DVD called "Chilology" and the book called "It Came From Beneath The Sink." The prices for these were remarkably cheap and so if I don't like them, I won't feel too bad!

I noticed by looking through this site and Amazon.com that there are quite a few episodes available in both book form and DVD form. Does anyone have a perspective to offer on how well the books translated into video? I noticed a pattern in a few of the books I perused on Amazon.com in which the author tended to use an older female child character and a younger male child character as main characters. Is this just a reflection of the titles I sampled, or was this a pattern employed throughout a large number of the Goosebumps books?

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 07. Feb 2006 at 05:54
Print Post  
Does anyone have a perspective to offer on how well the books translated into video?

I only read parts of three or four of the books, and that was when I was reading them aloud to my nephews. The stories in book form didn't really grab my interest.

I noticed a pattern in a few of the books I perused on Amazon.com in which the author tended to use an older female child character and a younger male child character as main characters. Is this just a reflection of the titles I sampled, or was this a pattern employed throughout a large number of the Goosebumps books?

That's an interesting observation that I hadn't noticed. I think you are probably correct in that many of the stories follow that pattern of  'older sister and younger brother', however it certainly wasn't always the case. One thing I do seem to recall is that it was rarely the other way around 'older brother, younger sister', although it many just be my blurry memory.

IP Logged

drewski
Bronze Member

BA Member

Goosebumps
Reply #5 - 28. May 2006 at 11:25
Print Post  
I've read the book and seen the video referred to in a previous post and I can honestly say that I didn't like either! They seemed just a little too generic... boring... formulaic... I don't know what to say, but I wasn't exactly entertained or captivated. I have managed to find other videos and a couple books that I did enjoy, but Goosebumps just wasn't satisfying despite it's apparent popularlity.

IP Logged

drewski
Bronze Member

BA Member

Black Turtle
Reply #6 - 13. Aug 2006 at 16:16
Print Post  
By way of follow-up: One good thing did happen as a result of reading one of the Goosebumps books and watching a movie from the series. Although I didn't like either Goosebumps item, I did come across a book I did like in the process. The book is called "Black Turtle: Tale of the Turtle" and not only did I like it, but it would make a great movie. Lots of great characters that are boys and lots of fun action and pretty good humor along the way too!

Here's the description from Amazon:

What do you do when you find out that a number of school officials and the entire sheriff’s department are running a drug lab in a nearby abandoned mine? If you’re a kid living in a small desert town, there’s not much you can do besides disrupt class and play silly pranks. But if you happen to get a little inside information, the odds can tip in your favor.

Robbie has heard all of the wild stories and the warnings to stay away from the Black Turtle Mine, but he has to investigate the mine for himself. After happening upon what looks like a drug-manufacturing operation, Robbie’s life is completely disrupted. He is framed for bringing methamphetamines to school and thrown into a juvenile detention center, and his mother is accused of being unfit. With the school principal and counselor in league with the sheriff and his deputies in a drug ring, the chances of Robbie getting fair and unbiased treatment seem pretty unlikely.

Schoolmates Sawyer, Dylan, and James, along with their science teacher, Keith, join forces on a dangerous quest to free James’s wrongfully incarcerated cousin Robbie and bring the criminals to justice.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 15. Aug 2006 at 05:43
Print Post  
How old is the character of Robbie?

IP Logged

drewski
Bronze Member

BA Member

age of character
Reply #8 - 15. Aug 2006 at 10:06
Print Post  
Robbie is described as "the smallest freshman" at his school in chapter one. Later it is said he fought "with every bit of strength a scrappy ninety-five pound boy of nearly fourteen could muster." So, I guess that makes him thirteen and he must have a birthday in the fall to be thirteen and in the ninth grade. BTW, James is in the fourth grade and Dylan and Sawyer are in the fifth grade.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 15. Aug 2006 at 23:42
Print Post  
Thanks

IP Logged

saurav001

BA Member

Reply #10 - 07. Oct 2006 at 15:45
Print Post  
hey ,drewski
even i hav seen Goosebumps
but to be frank only couple of the episods
and i even like them
reply me

IP Logged

drewski
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #11 - 08. Oct 2006 at 01:55
Print Post  
Since the time I first started this thread I have managed to see and read one Goosebumps video and one Goosebumps book... but I have to say I wasn't too thrilled!

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #12 - 08. Oct 2006 at 05:33
Print Post  
Quote:
Since the time I first started this thread I have managed to see and read one Goosebumps video and one Goosebumps book... but I have to say I wasn't too thrilled!

So you may be beyond the intended age group...

IP Logged

drewski
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 08. Oct 2006 at 10:18
Print Post  
hosenhaus wrote:

"So you may be beyond the intended age group..."

Sure, but a good movie or a good book should be entertaining to many age groups AND there should be elements in a good book or a good movie that are recognizeable as excellent (or atleast above average). I hope I'm not offending anyone when I say that I found both the books and the movies in the Goosebumps series to be mediocre at best. I recall the Goosebumps "craze" with all the kids wearing the tee-shirts and the censorship of some of the books and I just don't see how the books warranted ANY kind of outrage or jubilation! They seemed generic and dull to me... not exactly anything to get excited about.

IP Logged

dakkar
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10. Mar 2007 at 23:14
Print Post  
There was actually a Goosebumps PC game as well.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print