Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Talking to Heaven (2002) (Read 10,757 times)
Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Talking to Heaven (2002)
08. Feb 2006 at 08:03
Print Post  
Talking to Heaven aka Living with the Dead is based on the book by James van Praagh, one of America's most famous mediums. He is also the main character, played by Ted Danson. The movie features the story of James' ability to connect with dead people and traces his supernatural gift back to his childhood. Now he is in his forties. When his mother (Diane Ladd) dies everything comes back and his abilities grow stronger. Mysterious things start to happen, dead boys haunt James and want him to do something. James is baffled and starts investigating with the help of detective Karen Condrin (Mary Steenburgen). While they come across a 30-year-old murder case involving seven young boys, James delves deeper into the mysteries and finds evidence of a connection to his own past. But their time is running out and the life of another boy (Reece Thompson) is on the line.

The story is very complex and sophisticated. You never stop making your own assumptions and the numerous subtle hints and connections between times and places give the story tremendous strength and add substantial quality to the plot. I have seen many mystery movies and thrillers, but hardly any is able to match the suspense and the complexity of Talking to Heaven. Despite its length of almost three hours and due to the wonderfully paced unraveling of mysteries and the ability of Ted Denson in particular to maintain the level of suspense, the story keeps the audience alert and never becomes slow or corny. There are so many connections and hints, so many scenes that are simply awesome and so many sub-plots with underlying themes and messages that Talking to Heaven can be called a revelation and a stunning mystery masterpiece.

The strongest aspect of the story is the link between the murder of the boys and James' own past. This makes him emotionally very much attached to the crime story and is perfectly connected to the introductory sequences that feature him as a boy. Everything is a puzzle at the outset and there is never a point in the course of the story where you could predict what is going to happen next. Very few movies achieve this level of unpredictability.

James' life and his struggles make up a significant part of the story, especially his relationship and his ensuing contact with his late mother. She provides some sort of guidance for him and makes him understand the issue of death and accept his gift as a blessing rather than a curse. The relationships with his father (veteran Jack Palance) and his friend Midge (Queen Latifah) have no immediate connection to the crime story, but provide substantial depth for understanding him as a character. The many scenes in which James talks to strangers about their late relatives collaborates to get a sense of his abilities and the mysteries of his life.

The murder case is the core of the story, its major strength and the main source of suspense. Even without the mystery aspect, this would make an awesome thriller. Mary Steenburgen as detective Condrin acts as a kind of buffer between the supernatural background story and the terrific real-life murder case and helps to combine the strengths of both. There are many pieces that need to be collected, many assumptions that need to be made and many secrets that need to be unraveled.

A major sub-theme is the story of Eddie Kats (James Kirk) and his mother. Their paths are a significant part of the story and add another very sophisticated emotional level. The scenes that feature Eddie and James reminded me very much of thematic elements that pervade the writings of Stephen King, who makes strong use of these cross-time stories that appeal emotionally and make you think about values and life in general. A similar pattern surfaces in the story of Reece Thompson's character, who is terrorized and trying to escape death. Both boys (Thompson and Kirk) are perfectly cast and deliver superb performances – though they appear on entirely different settings. They shine and add authenticity to the story, in particular on an emotional level.

Talking to Heaven is a combination of different genres. It features a complex and outstandingly sophisticated storyline, awesome actors and so many sub-themes that culminate in an entirely stunning and satisfying climax that leaves you at the edge of your seat. The final denouement connects with all the layers of setting, both time and place, and by then you realize the complexity and quality of the story. A brilliant mystery masterpiece by all means.

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Re: Talking to Heaven (2002)
Reply #1 - 09. Feb 2006 at 08:52
Print Post  
very good movie, I have it on DVD

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #2 - 09. Feb 2006 at 15:42
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Reece Thompson!

« Last Edit: 11. May 2008 at 11:46 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #3 - 11. Feb 2006 at 22:35
Print Post  
also the boy who was in "Jet Boy" was in this movie.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #4 - 10. Feb 2009 at 22:09
Print Post  
This is also available on Netflix now... (as "Talking to Heaven")

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #5 - 10. Feb 2009 at 22:40
Print Post  
TheSwede wrote on 10. Feb 2009 at 22:09:
This is also available on Netflix now... (as "Talking to Heaven")

I think this is Reece Thompson's finest role ever ... and I thought he was great in "Rocket Science"

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #6 - 10. Feb 2009 at 22:52
Print Post  
hosenhaus wrote on 10. Feb 2009 at 22:40:
I think this is Reece Thompson's finest role ever ... and I thought he was great in "Rocket Science"

I *LOVE* comments like this... I've never even heard of Reece Thompson before ... so now I have a whole new actor to discover!  Yeah!

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #7 - 20. Feb 2009 at 04:47
Print Post  
I saw this tonight (from Netflix) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I can't wait to see some of Reese's other movies!

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reece
Reply #8 - 20. Feb 2009 at 11:21
Print Post  
some of Reece's lesser roles have posts here...

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 29. Oct 2014 at 23:06
Print Post  

Smiley I have seen this TV mini-série this evening. I have liked the play of Connor WIDDOWS in part of 8 years-old James PRAAGH, Reese THOMPSON in part of Andy, Neil DENNIS in part of Dennis and James KIRK in part of Eddy KATZ. My movie rating is 8/10 !

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #10 - 30. Oct 2014 at 08:35
Print Post  
I really enjoyed this film too!

Also stars Ted Danson, Mary Steenburgen, Diane Ladd, Michael Moriarty, Queen Latifah, Jack Palance, and a non-speaking role for Branden Nadon.

I liked Reece Thompson in Dreamcatcher (2003).

More images of Reece Thompson:

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 20. Nov 2014 at 16:14
Print Post  
I just found this movie at stagevu, it was listed as "Living With The Dead", here a link to download...

I'm going to give a look as soon as the download completes,  i'm just hoping there isn't any graphic scenes of murder, IF there is any, I will stop the movie and delete it immediately!

Boys are like a work of art, that should be loved, cherish and admired!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print