Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Percy, Buffalo Bill and I (Read 6,913 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Percy, Buffalo Bill and I
01. Mar 2006 at 12:23
Print Post  
Percy, Buffalo Bill and I (2005)
Original title: Percy, Buffalo Bill och jag
Based on a book by Ulf Stark

IMDb:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Official site:

Playing at the "Festival international de film pour enfant de Montreal"

The book on which this is based is from the same author as the following mini-series:

« Last Edit: 01. Mar 2006 at 21:45 by josephk »  

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

title
Reply #1 - 01. Mar 2006 at 15:57
Print Post  
Percy, Buffalo Bill and Jag

???

Where in the world did you get that translation?

I think a better translation is:

Percy, Buffalo Bill and I

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Percy, Buffalo Bill and Jag
Reply #2 - 01. Mar 2006 at 19:17
Print Post  
Well I thought Jag was a car.    Roll Eyes

Thanks Joseph.

It looks very promising. I sure hope they include English subtitles on the DVD release.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Percy, Buffalo Bill and Jag
Reply #3 - 01. Mar 2006 at 21:45
Print Post  
Haha! I couldn't figure out who Jag was or why it wasn't capitalized in the original title. I didn't know it was a pronoun. Makes sense now. I'll fix the title.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: Percy, Buffalo Bill and I
Reply #4 - 03. Mar 2006 at 08:15
Print Post  
This looks like one I would love to see. Hoping.  Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 04. Mar 2006 at 23:32
Print Post  
I decided to go check this movie out tomorrow morning at the Children's Film Festival. It's playing at 10 a.m.... a bit early for a Sunday morning, but I think I can make it.

I'll let you know if it's any good.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 06. Mar 2006 at 21:04
Print Post  
So...

I went to see this Sunday morning. The film was at 10:00 a.m. so I got up around 8:15 and got ready to leave in time to meet my friend at the theatre for 9:50. I was rather proud of myself when I made it to the theatre 5 minutes in advance, at 9:45. But then I noticed that the place was totally deserted. Strange, I thought. There should be more people here. As I got closer to the place, I saw that it wasn't even open yet.

That when I finally realized that I was at the wrong cinema - Le Parisien instead of Cinéma Beaubien. I had 15 minutes to get the the right cinema before the film started, so I ran back to the metro station. The other cinema was like 10 stations away on a different line, and there was an 8 minute wait before the next metro. So factoring the time wasted for the transfer (possibly another 10 minutes) and the walk from the metro station to the cinema, there was no way I could make it.

So I ran out and decided to catch a taxi instead. By the time I found one, I had 10 minutes left. I made it to the theatre 3 minutes late and thankfully the film hadn't started. My friend was still waiting outside and had bought the tickets already. It wasn't going to be packed that early in the morning, so we still managed to get decent seats.

Anyway, the film was fun (although I'm not sure it was worth the price of the ticket plus the 15$ cab ride to get there). It's a cute story, very much a typical coming-of-age with all the conventions of the genre - nothing groundbreaking or terribly original, but very enjoyable to watch.

The acting wasn't particularly impressive - the kids pretty much had the same look on their face, no matter what emotion they were supposed to be expressing - but given the simplicity of the story, it wasn't too distracting. (Besides, I've seen much worse performances.)

(very mild spoilers ahead... I suggest you read anyway, but if you're the type that doesn't want to know ANYTHING about the plot before seeing a movie, then consider yourself warned.)

There were a few implausible moments in the story that I felt diminished the impact of the film. For example, when one of the boy tames a ferroceous wild horse in one morning - apparently it was as simple as feeding him a carrot - and then has the other boy actually mount and ride the horse through town in order to impress a girl. I kept thinking this light movie was going to turn into a tragedy when the horse would suddenly go wild, throw the boy off its back and stomp him to death, or something. But none of that happened.

In another scene, one of the boys is teachign the other one to swim, and all he has to do is tell him to breathe in and out and suddenly instead of trashing about desperately in the water the boy manages to swim gracefully for 30 meters.

Well, little details that annoyed the perfectionist in me. Overall, the film was still very pleasant to watch, mainly due to the kids charisma (in spite of the at times mediocre acting, they still managed to make me care about the characters) and the grumpy grandfather, whose character was both funny and heartwarming.

I should point out that the print I saw had English subtitles. However, since the target audience is primarily French speaking kids, they had a "narrator" doing a live voice-over for all the dialogue during the film. While this sounds like a total nightmare, it was actually not half as bad as I thought it would be. You get used to it very quickly and all things considered I have to say that I much prefer that option to out-and-out dubbing. At least this way, you can still hear the actors' real voices, and when they are not saying anything terribly important (words like yes, no, hey, etc. are not translated) you get a better sense of their performance. Of course, given the choice, I'd still go for subtitles, but this option would be my second choice, over dubbing which I just despise.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #7 - 06. Mar 2006 at 22:19
Print Post  
Thanks joseph.

I'm not sure which I enjoyed more: your story or your review.  Cheesy

The reading of subtitles is common in kids film festivals in English territories. I would think it to be a tad disconcerting to have three different languages clashing at the screening, but I agree you get used to and can block out the readers if you set your mind to it.

I had a chance to look over the website. I see that
is the closing film showing next Sunday. This looks to be a cut above the typical kiddie film. I hope you get a chance to see it.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 08. Mar 2006 at 23:59
Print Post  
I'm glad you liked the story. Smiley

Thanks for the heads up about the closing movie. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. I don't know what time it's playing, but I'm going to be busy for most of the day and then in the evening I want to go see Life in Colour at the other festival.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 18. Mar 2006 at 06:37
Print Post  
Nice story Joseph...  thanks for the review too.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print