Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Joshua (2007) (Read 7,052 times)
gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Joshua (2007)
27. Feb 2008 at 15:23
Print Post  

This can be what is called an art house version of The Good Son or The Bad Seed. The movie tells the story of 9 year old Joshua played by Jacob Kogan. After his baby sister is born, his behavior starts to change and he begins acting weird. To make matters worse the baby begins having crying fits every night leading Josh's mom played by Vera Farmiga to a bad case of post partum depression. His dad (Sam Rockwell) faces the pressure of work verus family.  Eventually the dad realizes that Joshua's behavior is even more sinsister than he first thought but is it too late?  If you are expecting something like Mikey this is not your movie, but if you like movies like Rosemary's Baby and Birth than this is the film for you. There is some controversy because of Josh's realtionship with iss gay uncle. so say that it means he too is gay but I did not see it that way overall i wuld give tho movie a A-
« Last Edit: 07. Jul 2008 at 06:13 by Zabladowski »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) g31joshua.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Joshua (2007)
Reply #1 - 27. Feb 2008 at 15:25
Print Post  
i forgot to add that jacob kogan does a great job with his creepy flat emtioned perfomance. his style remind me of cameron bright.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 28. Feb 2008 at 04:45
Print Post  
Another one on my list of things to see.

I'm concerned about the Cameron Bright reference but I know coming from you gee that that is intended to be a compliment.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #3 - 28. Feb 2008 at 10:38
Print Post  
a few more pics here

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)  

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 28. Feb 2008 at 18:31
Print Post  
yes the cam bright thing was a  good remark.  cam is in my top ten fave boyactors of all time.

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 03. Feb 2009 at 14:06
Print Post  
Jacob's performance is actually decent - he's good at portraying that odd edge in his character. The story is a bit too subtle for a horror movie, the psychological terror is certainly there. Missing was a clear-cut background story as to why Joshua actually started acting weird - was it demonic possession? Was it a psychological defect, bequeathed to him by his mother? What exactly is the role of his uncle Ned? I find these questions intruiging, and they make the movie more interesting than it appears at first glance.

ps (and spoiler): Reading the comment about his gay uncle (who did not appear "gay" to me at all, I wonder where this piece of information comes from?), the ending makes some more sense or does at least allow for a different interpretation. Joshua sings a beautiful song to him, which might qualify as a love song. He also says that "me.. and you... this seems right, like it should have always been". I interpreted this in the light of a possible streak of insanity that, as his uncle himself put it at one point, "runs within the family" (Joshua's mom, his uncle's sister, is fairly depressive and in need of medication, and some dialogues hint at similar problems that his uncle Ned has once had). So I thought of some kind of an inner understanding between two potential psychopaths - a love relationship, however, might serve as another possible background. This could indeed be the reason why Josh tried to destroy the lives of his mother and father - to have the chance to live together with uncle Ned. The last few moments certainly allow for such an approach, and its definitely very interesting to watch the movie again with that piece of information in mind.

IP Logged

starchild
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 03. Feb 2009 at 22:25
Print Post  
This whole movie sounds very interesting. I love these types of movies. And the descriptions about this movie make it sound like a must see for me. I really loved Whisper with Blake Woodruff and it seems like this movie might be even better. Thanks for all of this great info and the great pics. I'm going to have to see this.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #7 - 14. Feb 2009 at 03:22
Print Post  
For anyone who knows the Ender's Game (book) series... after seeing this movie (yesterday) I couldn't help but think how perfect Jacob would have been for Ender's big brother, Peter...  too old now, perhaps, but he's got all the right characteristics!  10 to 12 years old, dark hair, brilliant and "beautiful,"  with demonic tendencies!

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 14. Feb 2009 at 16:19
Print Post  
I think you're right that he would have made a good Peter. But I've given up hope that the Ender's Game movie will ever be made.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 23. Jul 2014 at 23:19
Print Post  

Smiley I have seen again this movie this evening. Jacob KOGAN have a very good and intrigant play in part of Joshua. My movie rating is 9/10 !

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 24. Jul 2014 at 00:26
Print Post  
Jacob was also quite wonderful as the preteen Spock in the Star Trek movie! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print