Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Tommy Carlton: Boy of mystery. (Read 12,468 times)
K
Ex Member

Tommy Carlton: Boy of mystery.
16. Oct 2008 at 02:27
Print Post  
Tommy Carlton has apparently dropped off the face of the earth. Not really, I'm sure, but as far as publicity goes, after he made "Tarzan's Savage Fury", released in March, 1952, Tommy disappeared completely from show business, as far as I can determine. It's a real shame that this was his one and only movie as he was every bit as good a 'Boy' as Johnny Sheffield was in his many Tarzan movies. Tommy was extremely appealing and natural and not a bad little actor.
Years ago I once read that Tommy had been a professional acrobat before he got the role of Joey Martin in Tarzan's Savage Fury. Other than that one little nugget of information, I can find out nothing more about him, other than his year of birth, 1941, which would have made him 11 when the movie was released.

"Producer Sol Lesser was keen to recreate some of the domestic solidarity lost since the departure of Johnny Sheffield from the series.  He approached Cyril Hume, who had scripted the classic Tarzan Finds a Son! in 1938, to develop a story utilising a young male character similar to Boy.  He chose Cy Endfield to direct, who would later distinguish himself as the director of Zulu (1964), and as writer of it's prequel Zulu Dawn (1979).  Eleven-year-old Tommy Carlton, in his only film appearance, played Joey, a jungle orphan who is terrified of lions.  Once again Sol Lesser decided to use a different actress to play Jane and it is strange that he didn't keep this one longer.  I agree with Fury that 28-year-old Dorothy Hart was one of the most "physically appropriate" actresses to play Jane.  She was a beautiful, shapely redhead with long hair whose face expressed a strength and determination ideal for the role.  Sadly, this was her only role as Tarzan's mate.  The Arboretum was used for the jungle scenes, the Olancha sand dunes for the desert sequence and the Iverson Movie Ranch for other location sequences.  The film was released on 18 March 1952. (Essoe & Fury)"

Tommy, we hardly knew ye.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Here's a link to an interesting site about all of the Lex Barker Tarzan movies. On this home page you get to hear a sound bite from Tarzan's Savage Fury where Tarzan questions Joey (Tommy Carlton) as to where he's from. If you've never seen the movie or heard Tommy's voice this is nice to hear.

« Last Edit: 25. Oct 2008 at 16:55 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: Tommy Carlton: Boy of mystery.
Reply #1 - 18. Oct 2008 at 05:53
Print Post  
Tommy was a cute little guy. I often wondered what happened to him too. He looks much better in your caps than in most of the publicity stills I've seen.

BTW, I challenge your status as official thread killer, especially at BOYS.  Cool

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 23. Oct 2008 at 03:57
Print Post  
YoungArthur wrote on 18. Oct 2008 at 05:53:
Tommy was a cute little guy. I often wondered what happened to him too. He looks much better in your caps than in most of the publicity stills I've seen.

BTW, I challenge your status as official thread killer, especially at BOYS.  Cool

==========================

Well thanks, I appreciate the compliment, but as you see, you are the only one who has bothered to respond to this post. If I'm not always a thread killer, I at least seem to post threads that most don't care about. I would have thought that Tommy Carlton would be very popular here! I guess since he's in black and white and old (1952), he isn't good enough.  
Maybe I  need to post some "El Topo" Brontis Jodorowsky or Julien Ciamaca in "My Father's Glory". After all, they were Roll Eyes both nude.
 Wink  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 24. Oct 2008 at 02:52
Print Post  
I think the other problem is that this was his only film and it's not readily available. I'm pretty sure most of the membership has never seen the one and only Tommy Carlton performance. Were it not for the benevolence of a friend of mine, I would be among their number as I am too young to have seen it in its original release.

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 25. Oct 2008 at 04:54
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 24. Oct 2008 at 02:52:
I think the other problem is that this was his only film and it's not readily available. I'm pretty sure most of the membership has never seen the one and only Tommy Carlton performance. Were it not for the benevolence of a friend of mine, I would be among their number as I am too young to have seen it in its original release.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you say does make sense and I'm sure that's the main reason why Tommy doesn't get much response. I think I overreacted a bit in my last reply. Tommy and his one and only movie are too obscure. That's still a shame though as he was a wonderful boy actor. I also owe a debt of gratitude to a friend for allowing me to see Tommy's movie, which I'm sure I would have never otherwise gotten a chance to see. I do think that I might have seen it once on TV back in the early 1960s, but I'm not even sure of that.

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 25. Oct 2008 at 05:17
Print Post  
Also, I forgot to post this:
Here's a one minute clip at Megavideo from Tarzan's Savage Fury featuring Tommy Carlton.

Would one of the Administrators/Moderators please tell me why my movie poster attachment was deleted? It was the poster for Tarzan's Savage Fury. I can see no reason why it should be deleted. Sad

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #6 - 25. Oct 2008 at 16:57
Print Post  
Just a guess, but I'm assuming it was linked directly to the site on which it sits...

I uploaded it to our server and added it to your post to fix that issue.  Cool

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 26. Oct 2008 at 01:10
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 25. Oct 2008 at 16:57:
Just a guess, but I'm assuming it was linked directly to the site on which it sits...

I uploaded it to our server and added it to your post to fix that issue.  Cool

----------------------------------------

Thanks Zab. I now realize why it had disappeared. I had moved the picture to a different folder on my hard drive and so it wasn't where it was when I posted it. That must be why it disappeared. It was my mistake. Thanks for restoring it for me.

IP Logged

JefriNTheDeep

BA Member

Reply #8 - 10. May 2018 at 03:28
Print Post  
This is a much delayed response to your wonderful post about Tommy Carlton.
Sadly, since your original post, Tommy passed away in 2009.
However, he live on at TCM! At this very moment on TCM!
Where his one and only film is being shown.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print