Guest Message
Hi there Guest,

It looks like you are enjoying reading our forum, so why don't you register an account with us to stop seeing this message and benefit from many more features. Registration is easy and will only take you a few minutes.

If you already have an account with us, then click here to log in.

Thank you,

The BoyActors Forum Team
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Tarzan Boy...Tommy(Acker)Carlton...as Joey Martin (Read 9,330 times)
race
Ex Member

Tarzan Boy...Tommy(Acker)Carlton...as Joey Martin
15. Sep 2012 at 21:12
Print Post  
Would love to know more about this fine young actor/acrobat...Tommy Acker(1941-2009)...billed as Tommy Carlton..."Tarzan's Savage Fury"/1952...His only film role...One can find some pics on line...Your thoughts...?

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Re: Tarzan Boy...Tommy(Acker)Carlton...as Joey Martin
Reply #1 - 16. Sep 2012 at 14:03
Print Post  
I remember reading about him. Wasn't he a circus artist after his film career?
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 16. Sep 2012 at 18:27
Print Post  
Yes, I remember that film with Tommy Carlton playing Boy. He looked wonderful - when he wasn't having to share screen time with that wretched chimp!
Of course, none of the boys who played Tarzan's young sidekick (were there others?) came anywhere near the great Johnny Sheffield.
Thanks for the pic, 'Benjamin'.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 17. Sep 2012 at 07:58
Print Post  
I recently saw a Tarzan movie made in the early 1960's, called "Tarzan's Secret Tresure" it Starred Mike Henry as Tarzan, and Manuel Padilla Jr. as The boy, he later co-starred with Ron Ely in the series tv version of the story as Jai. there was also Steve Bond, but not sure which movie he played in!

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 17. Sep 2012 at 14:09
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 16. Sep 2012 at 18:27:
Yes, I remember that film with Tommy Carlton playing Boy. He looked wonderful - when he wasn't having to share screen time with that wretched chimp!
Of course, none of the boys who played Tarzan's young sidekick (were there others?) came anywhere near the great Johnny Sheffield.
Thanks for the pic, 'Benjamin'.

IMO Johnny was the best when he was little, in his first three or four Tarzan movies, but after that he buffed up way too much looking like he was on steroids, Erk!

Manuel Padilla Jr was my second favourite Tarzan boy.

I don't think I really liked any of the others all that much, as they were too muscled.

IP Logged

race
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 18. Oct 2012 at 02:02
Print Post  
Love the big pic of Tommy (Acker) Carlton(1941-2009)...A good little actor and acrobat...Tommy was taken back to the Midwest from Hollywood to work in the family acrobatic act...Mostly playing in small night clubs and theaters...Such a shame...A producer should have signed him to a contract...Handsome,charming, athletic,talented...This young performer could have had a nice career...He died in Colorado on New Years Day,2009...Have done some amateur sleuthing...Wish his family could contribute more info... Smiley

IP Logged

Jebediah
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02. Nov 2012 at 00:57
Print Post  
Quote:
Love the big pic of Tommy (Acker) Carlton(1941-2009)...A good little actor and acrobat...Tommy was taken back to the Midwest from Hollywood to work in the family acrobatic act...Mostly playing in small night clubs and theaters...Such a shame...A producer should have signed him to a contract...Handsome,charming, athletic,talented...This young performer could have had a nice career...He died in Colorado on New Years Day,2009...Have done some amateur sleuthing...Wish his family could contribute more info... Smiley

A couple years ago I was in contact with Tommy's niece and nephew on You Tube because I had a clip from Tarzan's Savage Fury posted there. They both liked the clip I posted and said they agreed it was a shame he never got to continue his acting career and weren't quite sure what the exact reason was other than that Tommy was needed at home to help out with the family business as travelling acrobats. One or two of his brothers and a sister or two also were parts of the act at various times.

I lost contact with the niece and nephew later and have not heard any more from them but Tommy's niece did turn me on to a very rare home movie of the Carltons acrobatic act, performing live onstage at a theater in Illinois in early 1948. It's included as an extra on a DVD called Showtime USA, Vol. 1.
The clip of Tommy Acker (Carlton) performing onstage with his Dad can be seen on You Tube here: *(This is a silent film.)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

race
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06. May 2013 at 19:34
Print Post  
Jebediah...Thanks for the info on Tommy (Acker) Carlton...Wish the little silent film hadn't been shot from so far away...Don't know if you could still contact his family...I made a page for him and his film...Tarzan's Savage Fury...on the "Find a Grave" site...He's buried in Colorado...In a military grave...Must have done a stint in the Service...Hope he had a nice family life...married...with kids

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print