Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Boyhood: Ellar Coltrane. (Read 5,964 times)
Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Boyhood: Ellar Coltrane.
11. Jul 2014 at 19:46
Print Post  
Look, what's going on here? I feel that BA members are slipping as there has been no reference to date of a new film released called 'Boyhood' starring Ellar Coltrane. The very title should have caught someone's eye.
Directed by Richard Linklater, it shows a boy growing up but what's different is it's the SAME boy actor right from when he's six up to 18. The film took 12 years to make and has received good reviews.
The reviewer in the 'Metro' says: 'Coltrane remains a natural in front of the camera, giving a sensitive performance as his character, Mason, deals with school, stepdads, girlfriends and life choices.'
Below is a montage of Ellar from when he was 6 up till 18. The last pic is a perfect example of how a boy loses his good looks as he gets older.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Re: Boyhood: Ellar Coltrane.
Reply #1 - 13. Jul 2014 at 00:50
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 11. Jul 2014 at 19:46:
Look, what's going on here? I feel that BA members are slipping as there has been no reference to date of a new film released called 'Boyhood' starring Ellar Coltrane. The very title should have caught someone's eye.
Directed by Richard Linklater, it shows a boy growing up but what's different is it's the SAME boy actor right from when he's six up to 18. The film took 12 years to make and has received good reviews.
The reviewer in the 'Metro' says: 'Coltrane remains a natural in front of the camera, giving a sensitive performance as his character, Mason, deals with school, stepdads, girlfriends and life choices.'
Below is a montage of Ellar from when he was 6 up till 18. The last pic is a perfect example of how a boy loses his good looks as he gets older.

I do plan to see this film eventually. I'm waiting for it to hit DVD so it will possibly be on Netflix!
This movie is a benchmark in film making, I read an article recently that stated that the Director kept the project very hush, hush, for 12 yrs.! It should be quite interesting to see that little boy grow, literally before yours eyes!
« Last Edit: 13. Jul 2014 at 16:18 by »  

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 13. Jul 2014 at 12:46
Print Post  
Smiley I hope to see this movie when it rwill be release in France.

IP Logged

EW1981
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 15. Jul 2014 at 01:19
Print Post  
I did see the previews for this movie and it looks like it will be a very good one. I like how the director followed the actors through the many stages of "natural" life, rather than speed up the process and use others or aging make-up. I can't wait to see this movie!

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 19. Jul 2014 at 14:05
Print Post  
Previous thread: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(I'm going to see this movie today.)

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 19. Jul 2014 at 22:12
Print Post  
Oops, looks as though 'Boyhood' had already been mentioned and discussed by other august BA members way back in January. My apologies.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 20. Jul 2014 at 14:08
Print Post  
So I saw this yesterday. Terrible movie. If you've seen any of Richard Linklater's other terrible movies, this is exactly like those other ones.

Interesting to see the boy grow up over the years though. Worth watching just for that.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 20. Jul 2014 at 16:17
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 20. Jul 2014 at 14:08:
So I saw this yesterday. Terrible movie. If you've seen any of Richard Linklater's other terrible movies, this is exactly like those other ones.

Interesting to see the boy grow up over the years though. Worth watching just for that.

That is my reason for wanting to seeing it too!

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 26. Jul 2014 at 07:10
Print Post  
want to see it badly will probably wait for the DVD  do not see many movie in the theaters anymore

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 26. Jul 2014 at 13:26
Print Post  
gee wrote on 26. Jul 2014 at 07:10:
want to see it badly will probably wait for the DVD  do not see many movie in the theaters anymore

Yes, for me money is the problem! when tickets at the movies can cost as much as $20, and most matinees cost around $10, it means I don't get to go to theater very often. Sad

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #10 - 26. Jul 2014 at 14:11
Print Post  
There's not much advantage to seeing most movies in theatres anymore. You get a better experience at home most of the time if you have a decent TV and sound. And I'm not even talking some crazy expensive home theatre system, just a decent setup.

The only time the theatre experience is really worth the cost is for big blockbuster action movies where the scale of the visual effects and sound design is going to have a significant impact. Watching the new Transformers movie on a TV in your living room is definitely going to suck, because that movie is all about the spectacle. It's not like it has a good story or characters you can relate to.

And then there are the really slow-paced art films where not much happens. I love those movies, but I find it almost impossible to watch at home, because it's too easy to get distracted. You can put it on pause, check your email, etc., and you don't get the true experience. When you're in a dark theatre, you have no choice to sit through it and get immersed in it.

I don't think Boyhood is a movie that falls in either of those categories. It's mostly character-based and you wouldn't lose much by watching it on a TV screen in two or three sittings with interruptions to check your email and get yourself a snack or whatever.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print