Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) B.O.Y.A.C.T.O.R. (Read 12,778 times)
Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

B.O.Y.A.C.T.O.R.
24. Jul 2014 at 20:27
Print Post  
Define what a boy actor, or boys in general, means to you! It can be anything from your definition of the acronym, to a description of a particular boy actor or boy, and what he means to you!

For me, Boyactors, and boys in general are the essence of youth, innocence, and unconditional love! boys are adventurous, playful, and inquisitive! most boys love having companions to be with and explore! but, even when they are alone, they always find ways to entertain themselves! Boys are as fleeting as time itself! Cherish them while they are here! Smiley

pics and caps are most welcome! Smiley

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Re: B.O.Y.A.C.T.O.R.
Reply #1 - 24. Jul 2014 at 23:56
Print Post  
Quote:
Boys are as fleeting as time itself! Cherish them while they are here! Smiley

So true!  We are so lucky to have films with boy actors. 

Take for instance the recent post about Barret Oliver.  He  made some of the best movies ever.
(I just wish he had made more.)  People are still 'discovering' him, and will keep discovering him for years to come.

Boys are as fleeting as time itself, but when captured on film (or digital), they are boys forever.

I think to show D.A.R.Y.L (1985) on the big screen tonight.

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 25. Jul 2014 at 05:45
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 24. Jul 2014 at 23:56:
I think to show D.A.R.Y.L (1985) on the big screen tonight.

I wish I was there with you to watch! I never got to see it in  theater. Sad

I agree that with the magic of hollywood, we can watch our favorite boyactors, when ever we want, for as long as we want! Smiley and! I introduced Mr. Barret Oliver, and Mr. Noah Hathaway to a whole new generation, a friends kids, with the movie Neverending Story, they loved it! especially the boys! their fav was Atreyu!

IP Logged

Atreyu
Bronze Member

Reply #3 - 25. Jul 2014 at 17:04
Print Post  
Did someone mention my name?   Grin   My ears are burning... 

Indeed though, these are all captured moments in time.  Something for future generations to enjoy.

Time is fleeting, and many boy actors have a hard time making a transition to an adult career.   

Many take different paths, and sometimes you wonder how much pressure was made by their parents, during that time.   Undecided

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 25. Jul 2014 at 20:22
Print Post  
Atreyu wrote on 25. Jul 2014 at 17:04:
Did someone mention my name?      My ears are burning... 

Indeed though, these are all captured moments in time.  Something for future generations to enjoy.

Time is fleeting, and many boy actors have a hard time making a transition to an adult career.   

Many take different paths, and sometimes you wonder how much pressure was made by their parents, during that time.   

So true!

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #5 - 26. Jul 2014 at 00:48
Print Post  
Quote:
Atreyu wrote on 25. Jul 2014 at 17:04:
Did someone mention my name?      My ears are burning... 

Many take different paths, and sometimes you wonder how much pressure was made by their parents, during that time.   

So true!

I agree!

Cheesy

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #6 - 26. Jul 2014 at 00:54
Print Post  
Quote:
I introduced Mr. Barret Oliver, and Mr. Noah Hathaway to a whole new generation, a friends kids, with the movie Neverending Story, they loved it! especially the boys! their fav was Atreyu!

I have noticed this too!

Atreyu always seems to be the favorite, I guess because he was the 'protector'
whereas Bastian 'needed protecting' (from the bullies and such).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 26. Jul 2014 at 00:58
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 26. Jul 2014 at 00:54:
I have noticed this too!

Atreyu always seems to be the favorite, I guess because he was the 'protector'
whereas Bastian 'needed protecting' (from the bullies and such).

He was the hero of the story, but it WAS Bastian that saved Fantasia! Wink

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #8 - 26. Jul 2014 at 01:04
Print Post  
Quote:
He was the hero of the story, but it WAS Bastian that saved Fantasia! Wink

Yes he did.  I had kind of forgot about that.

What a great movie!

Shocked

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 26. Jul 2014 at 01:09
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 26. Jul 2014 at 01:04:
What a great movie!

I liked the scene were the childlike Empress in the book was telling ateryu that a someone had been with him through his journey! the hairs on the back of my neck started to rise up when that scene was done. and thats when Bastian threw the book across the room.

IP Logged

Atreyu
Bronze Member

Reply #10 - 26. Jul 2014 at 08:28
Print Post  
Obviously, The Never Ending Story is one of my all-time favourite movies. 

I wonder if you agree, that child actors seem to be able to act best, when playing roles in fantasy movies?  Characters that are not limited by everyday boring life, and allow them to develop their own spin on the character. 

The "real life" aspect for me, really depends on how good the script/screen writer really is, and being most likely adult, can they really see the world from a child's prespective?   I'd say, even for a professional writer, being able to reproduce a realistic childs view, is quite difficult.  Indeed, some have managed to do a good job, but perhaps they tapped into their own childhood experiences.

Whereas, a story involving a "fantasy" idea, has no limits.  There is no real, exact way, that the actor should be or act.   They can make the role, their own.

Noah made that role, he was and is, Atreyu.   Same for Barret.   No remake of that film could really replace them, at least not from my point of view.   They were and still are, those characters. 

But with a movie about an everyday "real life" family, the child actor could easily be replaced by another in a future remake. 

Cool

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 26. Jul 2014 at 13:49
Print Post  
Atreyu wrote on 26. Jul 2014 at 08:28:
Obviously, The Never Ending Story is one of my all-time favourite movies. 

I wonder if you agree, that child actors seem to be able to act best, when playing roles in fantasy movies?  Characters that are not limited by everyday boring life, and allow them to develop their own spin on the character. 

The "real life" aspect for me, really depends on how good the script/screen writer really is, and being most likely adult, can they really see the world from a child's prespective?   I'd say, even for a professional writer, being able to reproduce a realistic childs view, is quite difficult.  Indeed, some have managed to do a good job, but perhaps they tapped into their own childhood experiences.

Whereas, a story involving a "fantasy" idea, has no limits.  There is no real, exact way, that the actor should be or act.   They can make the role, their own.

Noah made that role, he was and is, Atreyu.   Same for Barret.   No remake of that film could really replace them, at least not from my point of view.   They were and still are, those characters. 

But with a movie about an everyday "real life" family, the child actor could easily be replaced by another in a future remake. 

I must say I agree! there is NO way a remake could be made that would surpass the original, FOR that reason! So, I hope the author of book, does not allow any more movie rights on this story! I'm sure the special effects could be greatly improved, with today's CGI! but it wouldn't be the same without Noah and Barret! sometimes, it's best to leave well enough alone! I have never had a very good opinion of remakes anyway.

I'm sure there was a release of this film in the German language! and I would love to see it! I've seen this movie SO many times, I could almost recite the script from memory! so it wouldn't be a problem seeing it in another language!

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #12 - 26. Jul 2014 at 17:51
Print Post  
This is an interesting topic for discussion.
It never ceases to amaze me just how many boy actors there are and the almost infinite number of films featuring them. It seems the members have chosen 'The Neverending Story' as one of their favourites and that's certainly a good choice. After all it has TWO boy actors in it who both had equally good parts. The DVD was spoiled by not having any extras so we got no interview with Barret and Noah.
Trying to think of those less well known films, I am reminded of Thomas Sangster in 'The Last Legion' in which he plays the young boy emperor or Nick Stahl in 'Tall Tale' meeting Wild West heroes and saving his father's farm. Films such as these would never get special mention or win Oscars but are, in my opinion, pleasant stories featuring a boy at the centre of the plot.
BA Oscars for boy actors are rare that is why I have presumptuously awarded such to Jordan Christopher Michael for his wonderful performance in 'Motorama' and Didier Haudepin for his immensely impressive acting in 'This Special Friendship'.

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #13 - 26. Jul 2014 at 23:04
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 26. Jul 2014 at 17:51:
BA Oscars for boy actors are rare that is why I have presumptuously awarded such to Jordan Christopher Michael for his wonderful performance in 'Motorama' and Didier Haudepin for his immensely impressive acting in 'This Special Friendship'.

I second that! 

These are two of my favorite films

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Gold Member

Reply #14 - 29. Jul 2017 at 19:21
Print Post  
I instantly fell head over heels for Barret Oliver, the first time I watched him in a film, which was a short film called Frankenweenie, he couldn't have been more than 7 or 8, then I saw him in Cocoon, I loved the scene where he and Grandpa (Brimley) were standing in the water casting the fishing pole! I found out years later, watching a Behind the Scenes, Wilford and Barret did that scene totally adlib! and it was Barret that chose to hug Wilford at the end, he did it on his own accord, he and Wilford became very close friends during the filming, so it was just natural for him to hug his Grandpa! Smiley I wish he done more as an actor in his early years, but I'm glad we have what did do, to cherish and watch over and over! Smiley He was a treasure! <3

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print