Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Midnight Special (2016) (Read 7,962 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Midnight Special (2016)
20. Mar 2016 at 11:37
Print Post  
Midnight Special

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

According to the first paragraph of the New York Times review, saying anything about this movie would constitute a spoiler.  Even saying what kind of movie it is.  So I stopped reading.  Can I avoid spoilers until I can see the movie properly????

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Midnight Special (2016)
Reply #1 - 08. Apr 2016 at 01:29
Print Post  
I saw it this week. I was a little bit disappointed, because I really liked Taking Shelter a lot (from the same director). This one felt a bit more awkward.

But it's definitely worth a look. Not sure I agree that spoilers are that big of a deal for this one, but I guess I'll hold my tongue, just in case.

PS: Jaeden has a major role in this, so it's probably worth its own entry in the database.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 08. Apr 2016 at 22:58
Print Post  
Smiley I placed on order for the Blu-Ray about amazon.fr.

IP Logged

Lord Doctor
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 16. May 2016 at 09:30
Print Post  
This is my take....

Unfortunately this was a bad movie and yet some might find it very engaging and interesting. The reason I think it is a boring movie is because almost every single character seemed to be at his or her end of the line. I really don't want to say this but I guess I blame it on Kirsten Dunst. There was no livelihood in this movie; there was no passion, no real story. Adult actors are all desperate and or without any real purpose. The storm trooper (Lucas) is just helping his best buddy without even knowing the real reason behind this constant driving and moving from one motel to another and covering the windows with cardboard, or if he knows he isn't sharing it with the audience. Mainly the audience is lost for 95% of the movie and at very rare moments of the movie they (the audience) is allowed to get a glimpse of what is going on. We don’t get to see the mother till almost the end of the movie and somehow she understands everything without being around or in the picture for the past two years of the boy’s life but, somehow she knows everything. The other flaw with this movie is that every single character accepts “everything”, every word that has been spoken with no doubt, no “buts” no “ifs” and no “whys”. Basically everyone in this movie never ever questions anything and even if they do … [scene in the parked truck … (man on the left) I’m an electrician, certified in two states. What do I know about these things?  (man on the right) Wouldn’t ask you if you couldn’t do it. So all it takes to convince someone to go kill an innocent person is to tell him “They wouldn’t ask you if they knew you couldn’t do it” to me that is utter BS. Well no matter how much I try to understand this movie or to find a purpose for any of the main characters I come to a screeching halt. Even the boy’s character is a flaw. He keeps saying it is “okay” but what is it that is “okay” and close to the end of the movie he “understands” but again what does he understands and why this knowledge doesn’t get transferred to the audience? This is one of those movies that you go in “blind” and “illiterate” and come out the same way. There is no “education” there is no “learning” here. You go in dumb and you come out the same wondering what did I just see? What did I get or learned from this movie.
As for Jaeden Lieberher’s performance I must sadly say I didn’t see anything special or extra ordinary. On a scale of 0 to 10 I’ll give it a 3 to be very generous. I blame this poor rating for his acting on three things.. First the screenplay, second his fellow adult actors and third the director none were any good. Bottom line this movie just made its way to my “Boring movie” list among a few other movies. 

ICQYIM  
IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 04. Jun 2016 at 11:46
Print Post  
I didn't hate it as much as you did, Lord Doctor, but I agree there are a lot of problems with the movie. I gave it a 6/10 because I think the movie plays with some interesting ideas and I don't mind the mystery too much. Also, for me it wasn't boring. I just think there were some plotting and character problems, but it was still compelling to watch.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #5 - 18. Aug 2016 at 20:24
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #6 - 13. Feb 2017 at 13:20
Print Post  
Lord Doctor wrote on 16. May 2016 at 09:30:
This is my take....

Unfortunately this was a bad movie and yet some might find it very engaging and interesting. The reason I think it is a boring movie is because almost every single character seemed to be at his or her end of the line. I really don't want to say this but I guess I blame it on Kirsten Dunst. There was no livelihood in this movie; there was no passion, no real story. Adult actors are all desperate and or without any real purpose. The storm trooper (Lucas) is just helping his best buddy without even knowing the real reason behind this constant driving and moving from one motel to another and covering the windows with cardboard, or if he knows he isn't sharing it with the audience. Mainly the audience is lost for 95% of the movie and at very rare moments of the movie they (the audience) is allowed to get a glimpse of what is going on. We don’t get to see the mother till almost the end of the movie and somehow she understands everything without being around or in the picture for the past two years of the boy’s life but, somehow she knows everything. The other flaw with this movie is that every single character accepts “everything”, every word that has been spoken with no doubt, no “buts” no “ifs” and no “whys”. Basically everyone in this movie never ever questions anything and even if they do … [scene in the parked truck … (man on the left) I’m an electrician, certified in two states. What do I know about these things?  (man on the right) Wouldn’t ask you if you couldn’t do it. So all it takes to convince someone to go kill an innocent person is to tell him “They wouldn’t ask you if they knew you couldn’t do it” to me that is utter BS. Well no matter how much I try to understand this movie or to find a purpose for any of the main characters I come to a screeching halt. Even the boy’s character is a flaw. He keeps saying it is “okay” but what is it that is “okay” and close to the end of the movie he “understands” but again what does he understands and why this knowledge doesn’t get transferred to the audience? This is one of those movies that you go in “blind” and “illiterate” and come out the same way. There is no “education” there is no “learning” here. You go in dumb and you come out the same wondering what did I just see? What did I get or learned from this movie.
As for Jaeden Lieberher’s performance I must sadly say I didn’t see anything special or extra ordinary. On a scale of 0 to 10 I’ll give it a 3 to be very generous. I blame this poor rating for his acting on three things.. First the screenplay, second his fellow adult actors and third the director none were any good. Bottom line this movie just made its way to my “Boring movie” list among a few other movies. 

This movie could have been so much more.  But the director (in interviews) says he believes
'less is more'.  That one should provide as little information as possible and let the audience
fill in the blanks.

It's hard to get into a movie when so little information is given and you're confused about what's
going on all the way to the end.  Unless you set down and write up a complete back-story for
the film (based on whatever you would like the film to be about) then the film makes no sense.

Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print