Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) OT: List your favourite novels featuring boys (Read 29,840 times)
nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Re: OT: List your favourite novels featuring boys
Reply #15 - 24. Aug 2017 at 04:01
Print Post  
Sci-fi:
The Chrysalids ~ John Wyndham
Starman Jones ~ Robert A. Heinlen

Non sci-fi:
Other Voices, Other Rooms ~ Truman Capote
Empire of the Sun ~ J.G. Ballard
The Green Years ~ A.J. Cronin

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #16 - 25. Aug 2017 at 20:22
Print Post  
Dance of the Warriors by Kevin Esser.

The March of the Innocents by John Wiles.

nightwatcher: I too read The Green Years by A J Cronin many years ago. I liked the way Cronin developed the friendship between Robert Shannon and Gavin Blair.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #17 - 25. Aug 2017 at 23:47
Print Post  
Boymoviebuff wrote on 23. Aug 2017 at 17:30:
I haven't read Ender's Game yet, but I don't think I'll like the story, because I didn't like the movie so much! I loved Asa's and Aramis' performances, but I didn't like the plot. Ender was tricked into committing genocide! The movie was not enjoyable for me, so I don't see how I'd like the book any better!

I don't know what your tastes are like, so maybe you wouldn't like the book. But I can tell you that the book is 1,000 times better than the movie. The movie barely scratches the surface of what makes the character of Ender so amazing.

In the book, he starts out much younger than in the movie. He's very small and vulnerable, but extremely smart. There's also a very sensual side to it that's hard to describe without sounding like a perv. It's one of the only books I've bothered to read multiple times.

But again, tastes vary, so maybe you wouldn't like it. I thought the movie was mediocre at best, despite a good performance by Asa Butterfield.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Gold Member

Reply #18 - 26. Aug 2017 at 07:11
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 25. Aug 2017 at 23:47:
I don't know what your tastes are like, so maybe you wouldn't like the book. But I can tell you that the book is 1,000 times better than the movie. The movie barely scratches the surface of what makes the character of Ender so amazing.

In the book, he starts out much younger than in the movie. He's very small and vulnerable, but extremely smart. There's also a very sensual side to it that's hard to describe without sounding like a perv. It's one of the only books I've bothered to read multiple times.

But again, tastes vary, so maybe you wouldn't like it. I thought the movie was mediocre at best, despite a good performance by Asa Butterfield

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll give it a try, but if it gets too graphic with the violence, I'll have to stop, If he's younger in the book, then that'll be right down my alley!
I'll see if Half Price Books has a used copy, or maybe I can find it on audio book. Smiley

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #19 - 26. Aug 2017 at 20:37
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 23. Aug 2017 at 03:15:
I wish it was possible for me to re-read Ender's Game for the first time.

I haven't read it yet, obviously, but Children of the Fleet is to be published October 10, 2017...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Children of the Fleet is a new angle on Card’s bestselling series, telling the story of the Fleet in space, parallel to the story on Earth told in the Ender’s Shadow series.

Ender Wiggin won the Third Formic war, ending the alien threat to Earth. Afterwards, all the terraformed Formic worlds were open to settlement by humans, and the International Fleet became the arm of the Ministry of Colonization, run by Hirum Graff. MinCol now runs Fleet School on the old Battle School station, and still recruits very smart kids to train as leaders of colony ships, and colonies.

Dabeet Ochoa is a very smart kid. Top of his class in every school. But he doesn’t think he has a chance at Fleet School, because he has no connections to the Fleet. That he knows of. At least until the day that Colonel Graff arrives at his school for an interview.

IP Logged

varelse

The Other

Reply #20 - 11. Sep 2017 at 05:44
Print Post  
Wow, Stephen King sure writes a lot of boy protags, doesn't he? XD
Not much sci-fi on this list, but:

The Little White Bird by J.M. Barrie. (I'm actually currently reading this one, almost done but I don't want to be done with it!!!)
The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.
Sad Story of A Vampire by Count Stenbock. This one's a little risque, though...
Der Kleine Vampir, which has a TV show based on the books
Lord of the Flies, of course...
The Little Prince
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
If you like comics, little nemo is pretty fun.

IP Logged

re-Cal-Q-L8

BA Member

Reply #21 - 10. Oct 2017 at 07:51
Print Post  
Hi Joseph,

Lord of the Flies, Ender's Game, Sammy Going South, My Side of the Mountain, Harry Potter, and a few Roald Dahl ones such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Boy, The Witches, and the iconic Peter Pan (aka Peter and Wendy, and The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up). That's off the top of my head. Plenty of other's I have read, but there is too much fog in my head.

regards,
Cal

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #22 - 19. Oct 2017 at 10:55
Print Post  
"He was pretty sure heroic soldiers didn't wet themselves."

hosenhaus wrote on 26. Aug 2017 at 20:37:
I haven't read it yet, obviously, but Children of the Fleet is to be published October 10, 2017...

Children of the Fleet is a new angle on Card’s bestselling series, telling the story of the Fleet in space, parallel to the story on Earth told in the Ender’s Shadow series.

Ender Wiggin won the Third Formic war, ending the alien threat to Earth. Afterwards, all the terraformed Formic worlds were open to settlement by humans, and the International Fleet became the arm of the Ministry of Colonization, run by Hirum Graff. MinCol now runs Fleet School on the old Battle School station, and still recruits very smart kids to train as leaders of colony ships, and colonies.

Dabeet Ochoa is a very smart kid. Top of his class in every school. But he doesn’t think he has a chance at Fleet School, because he has no connections to the Fleet. That he knows of. At least until the day that Colonel Graff arrives at his school for an interview.

Children of the Fleet is out now.  A good read.  Told entirely from the point of view of the kid: 10 years old, super smart in book learning, but a failure in interpersonal relations.  Plus outer space adventure.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Gold Member

Reply #23 - 19. Oct 2017 at 18:15
Print Post  
Wow, lots of interesting titles! I will definitely check some of these out, and thanks to josephk, I'll try Ender's Game! if in the book, Ender was only a preteen, then I don't understand why the movie portrayed him as 15 or 16, so maybe the book starts with him at 8 to 10, then maybe ends with him around the age he was in the movie! this would be appealing to me, so I guess we'll see, I decided to try checking out the audio book from the library, so if I can't get into the story, I won't be out the money. Smiley

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #24 - 22. Jul 2019 at 17:31
Print Post  
The Institute
by Stephen King

Publisher's blurb: 
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Stephen King, the most riveting and unforgettable story of kids confronting evil since It .

Publication date: September 10, 2019

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #25 - 22. Jul 2019 at 18:00
Print Post  
hosenhaus wrote on 22. Jul 2019 at 17:31:
The Institute
by Stephen King

Publisher's blurb: 
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Stephen King, the most riveting and unforgettable story of kids confronting evil since It .

Publication date: September 10, 2019

Thanks!  Will check this out

Smiley

IP Logged

Wendell Dean

BA Member

Reply #26 - 25. Jul 2019 at 21:01
Print Post  
I read "A Day No Pigs Would Die," by Robert Newton Peck, many years ago, but it still is one of my favorite boy books.  He also wrote the "Soup" books, some of which have been made into movies.

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #27 - 27. Jul 2019 at 02:52
Print Post  
Hi Wendell, thanks for the recommendations and welcome to the forum Smiley

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #28 - 20. Dec 2019 at 22:56
Print Post  
hosenhaus wrote on 22. Jul 2019 at 17:31:
The Institute
by Stephen King

Sometimes Stephen King is amazing.

Sometimes not so much.

This one is AMAZING.

The Institute, 2019

[Warning.  I will keep spoilers here to a minimum, just from the first two parts.  There is: violence.  There is: kids in peril.  If these upset you, maybe skip this book.  Skip the movie (if any, surely there will be) even more.]

The main character is Luke Ellis.  12 years old.  Super smart.  One day he wakes up in a strange bedroom.  It looks like his own bedroom at home, but it isn't.   He is at "The Institute".

The Institute kidnaps select kids from throughout the U.S.  Kids between ages 8 and 16.  Kids with latent telepathic or telekinetic aptitudes.  Why The Institute does it, and what happens to the kids there, we find out as the story continues.

The first part of the book "The Night Knocker" is about an ex-cop in the South---no you haven't got the wrong book.  We get to Luke Ellis in the second part "The Smart Kid".  And we get to The Institute in the third part.

Stephen King knows how to keep you interested.  He knows how to ratchet up the suspense---so far you think you can't stand it---and then even more

IMDb says that Spyglass Media Group has optioned this book for a TV Mini Series.   
Variety: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cali_Surf

BA Member

Reply #29 - 17. Mar 2020 at 04:09
Print Post  
The Ranger's Apprentice, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Where the Red Fern Grows, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Follow Me Boys, Old Yeller, My Side of The Mountain, Mr Midshipman Hornblower and The Trumpet of the Swan.

To name a few  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print