Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The first onscreen Tarzan... (Read 6,017 times)
diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

The first onscreen Tarzan...
25. Aug 2017 at 14:43
Print Post  
Daniel Potts and Eric Langlois were not the first boys to play a young Tarzan in his birthday suit (in "Greystoke, The Legend of Tarzan", 1984). Western societies were a lot less puritanical a century ago than they are now, as is revealed in the Biography of the profile I have just posted up for the great Gordon Griffith...

« Last Edit: 25. Aug 2017 at 17:36 by diogenes »  

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Gold Member

Re: The first onscreen Tarzan...
Reply #1 - 25. Aug 2017 at 17:27
Print Post  
WOW! he is very handsome! Cheesy
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
He died the year my older sister was born, and his birthday was the same day as my younger sister's daughter's! and he died 3 years before I was born!
Now I want to see that Tarzan of the Apes (1918)! According to what that critic stated, he must have been quite physicaaly fit, to be so perfect for being sculpted by a Sculptor! Shocked

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 25. Aug 2017 at 20:19
Print Post  
I'm trying to picture Gordon Griffith clambering about the jungle portraying Tarzan as a boy. In 1918 they wouldn't have stuck a loin cloth on him but as a boy would have appeared in such a situation, unlike today with all its prissy rules about kids and 'appropriate' dress. It's this sort of thing that spoilt the America version of 'Lord of the Flies'.

Thanks, 'diogenes' and 'Boymoviebuff'.

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 26. Aug 2017 at 05:07
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 25. Aug 2017 at 20:19:
I'm trying to picture Gordon Griffith clambering about the jungle portraying Tarzan as a boy. In 1918 they wouldn't have stuck a loin cloth on him but as a boy would have appeared in such a situation, unlike today with all its prissy rules about kids and 'appropriate' dress. It's this sort of thing that spoilt the America version of 'Lord of the Flies'.

Thanks, 'diogenes' and 'Boymoviebuff'.

The full movie is on YouTube, it is about an hour long. Cinefan: you will be pleased at the costume design, or rather, lack thereof for a lot of it.

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #4 - 26. Aug 2017 at 13:08
Print Post  
nightwatcher wrote on 26. Aug 2017 at 05:07:
The full movie is on YouTube, it is about an hour long. Cinefan: you will be pleased at the costume design, or rather, lack thereof for a lot of it.

Will check this one out, thanks!

Smiley

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Gold Member

Reply #5 - 26. Aug 2017 at 17:43
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 26. Aug 2017 at 13:08:
Will check this one out, thanks!

Me too! Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 26. Aug 2017 at 21:51
Print Post  
I watched the film up until Elmo Lincoln took over as the man Tarzan. It was a novelty to see a nice looking boy actor from so long ago. Gordon Griffith was great in the altogether and I couldn't understand why such a boy would want ... clothes. Delightful Gordon ended up dressed in worse clobber than the boys who played the part in later years. All I can say is lucky old 'Binnsey'. Even the soundtrack had an old audio recording of an orchestra playing various classical pieces.  Smiley

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Gold Member

Reply #7 - 27. Aug 2017 at 07:39
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 26. Aug 2017 at 21:51:
I watched the film up until Elmo Lincoln took over as the man Tarzan. It was a novelty to see a nice looking boy actor from so long ago. Gordon Griffith was great in the altogether and I couldn't understand why such a boy would want ... clothes. Delightful Gordon ended up dressed in worse clobber than the boys who played the part in later years. All I can say is lucky old 'Binnsey'. Even the soundtrack had an old audio recording of an orchestra playing various classical pieces. 

I plan to watch it tomorrow night when I get home from work! Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 28. Aug 2017 at 11:19
Print Post  
New movie profile page set up for Tarzan of the Apes (1918):

IP Logged

nightwatcher
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 28. Aug 2017 at 17:54
Print Post  
I would love to have seen this on the big screen a century ago. Apparently in NYC they had a 30 piece orchestra performing the score.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Gold Member

Reply #10 - 28. Aug 2017 at 18:48
Print Post  
nightwatcher wrote on 28. Aug 2017 at 17:54:
I would love to have seen this on the big screen a century ago. Apparently in NYC they had a 30 piece orchestra performing the score.

And it would be wonderful if that same orchestra performed the score for the movie, once in was publish as an audible version.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print