Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic These pages aren't just thrown together, you know (Read 7,395 times)
diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

These pages aren't just thrown together, you know
17. Sep 2018 at 12:47
Print Post  
My rule is: if there is a nice poster for the film which has a good, prominent picture of the boy or boys in the movie, then I'll generally use that. Otherwise, I make my own profile image. I think I'm better at it now than when I started. A lot of them I'm not really very pleased about, but it's too much like hard work to replace them. However, some of them I'm actually rather proud of! Here are a few of the Profile images I've created which I think turned out quite well:

Most recent one - "La Carnada". Simple, split image, using the caps that Damien supplied (I monkeyed around with the lower image to brighten it a little).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"100 Days Before the Command". I love this film! Made from screencaps from the movie, again I very much brightened the lower picture. I like the fact that they are all looking towards the viewer. The boy (in fact, an angel) seems to be either getting into bed or getting out of it, in a sparsely furnished bedroom...

"It Couldn't Happen Here". Another film I love, even though everyone else hates it! Straightforward split image, using screencaps.

"The Silver Chair" This was me trying out something new. I found two images and then arranged them on a black background. The lettering was supposed to be silver, as in the Silver Chair of the title - but is a tad too dark, maybe.

"Heart of the Country" - well, I thought I'd complete Christian Bale's page. I found some caps of the opening titles of this miniseries on a website (though no caps from the series itself - the website was only interested in the titles!). I 'restored' the richness of the colours it would have had on transmission (the screencap was clearly from an old VHS recording, slightly faded), and added the little pic of Bale from the series.

"Tenderness of the Wolves". Two screencaps. The font and colour of lettering was chosen to suggest the 1920s with a touch of decadence. I really like this one!

"Sparrows". Rather nice screencap of Monty O'Grady.

"Strıta" Oh, gosh, I'm so proud of this one. Perfect image from film suggestive of danger, and then, below the titles, an extraordinary Icelandic landscape from the film (which I tinted slightly on the top left to make an even more 'lowering' sky).

"Fauve" Screencap, with lettering designed to be roughly 'skin-coloured', to go with the boy's back, though I don't think I got it quite right! Still reasonably effective, though.

"Crime School" - wonderful movie. Absurdly homoerotic - Hollywood knew what people wanted! I like the font I chose for this, italicised for added drama. Oh, and Bobby Jordan always looked lovely.

"Dogwood" Well, the boy looks so cheerful, it had to be this image.

"Just Add Water" My own poster image is far better than any of the official advertising - tsk! I love the old lady's face!

"Stig of the Dump", the original (and best) miniseries. Strange one, this. Now, I meant to make a banner with Stig on it, but once I created this as a preliminary, I thought it was such a pleasant, pastoral image, redolant of a lost England, that I decided to just stick with it. That's Grant Ashley Warnock as Barney, but you wouldn't know it, since he's looking away from us at the English countryside.

"When Every Day Was the Fourth of July" - which has a very anachronistic subplot element in it, making it quite unrealistic!

"Clockwise" That's Chip Sweeney as the Headmaster's son at the top, by the way. Handsome lad!

"Threads" My masterpiece! There's a scene where Ruth is walking through the rubble of the post-holocaust city and sees various characters, including this boy screaming for his mum. This is just a corner of a screencap, just as the boy is about to exit the frame, and the smoke momentarily clears to show his face. It reminds me of Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' - what could be more appropriate?

"The Father Thing" Good action shot in near-darkness, suggestive of flight and danger.

"The Cull" Yes, this worked well, The top picture is designed to convey the bleakness of the setting. The boy is just visible in the dim light of the lamp in the lower picture.

"Nits" Jonathan Mason's first film. Quite proud of this composition.

Continued in part 2..

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: These pages aren't just thrown together, you know
Reply #1 - 17. Sep 2018 at 13:18
Print Post  
part 2...

"Death and Transfiguration". You see, at the top the flames are from a hearth, with the boy asleep in front. Below, the flames are from a cremation. Hence the suggestion that the idyll of boyhood contains the seeds of death and destruction. My own version of "Et in Arcadia ego"...

"Children" I think this same image was used in some of the advertising, which isn't surprising.

"Grandpa's great Escape" Unfortunately, I couldn't find the images online to get the width of this banner right - it's too narrow. Nevertheless, I think I made a pretty good composition.

"Fourth and Orchard" Somehow, this came out quite well.

"Love and Death" The darkness of this image (from a screencap) suited the mood of the film.

"The Wilderness" The film is nonsense, but the banner's not bad!

"Hue and Cry" I like the boy emerging from the rubble in the lower picture. In the days before Health and Safety, and before constant parental surveillance, the bombed-out London of the late-40s was a boys' playground.

"I, Claudius" I had to get the snake in! "I, Claudius" is not "I, Claudius" without the snake!

"Amarcord" Subliminal (?) suggestion comparing Mussolini to a donkey (which is a bit of an insult to donkeys, but never mind).

"The Yankee Clipper" This is a great shot of Junior Coghlan.

"How Olin Lost His Eye" - Oh dear! You just know that this is not going to end well!

As always, please don't hesitate to make suggestions as to additions to the database - I shall be happy to oblige! (Otherwise, I shall just make pages for whatever I happen to be viewing, which means that you'll all have to put up with my Dickens obsession!)

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 21. Sep 2018 at 20:36
Print Post  
I am gobsmacked. My ghast is flabbered. These are very well done indeed though many of the films I've never heard of. Many thanks, 'diogenes', for all the time and work you must have put in to these banners.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 22. Sep 2018 at 12:39
Print Post  
Thanks!  Smiley I enjoy doing it.
« Last Edit: 22. Sep 2018 at 16:29 by diogenes »  

IP Logged

JefriNTheDeep

BA Member

Reply #4 - 01. Oct 2018 at 02:45
Print Post  
Superb work! I am sure that you have dedicated a lot of time and effort creating these lovely works of art.

I am new here and have yet to contribute. But I know that it takes a lot of hard work to maintain and grow this precious resource.

Thank you very much for your efforts and for sharing your talent and eye for beauty. You seem to be able to find the perfect image that is at the center of every quality Boy-Centric film.

IP Logged

diogenes
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 01. Oct 2018 at 12:02
Print Post  
Well, thank you! You are a gentleman, sir! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print