Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Devil's Backbone, The (2001) (Read 15,572 times)
cal
Ex Member

Admin

Devil's Backbone, The (2001)
16. Oct 2001 at 23:29
Print Post  

IMDb says this about the film:
The outstanding director Guillermo del Toro take us to his own universe of childhood fears where no one is really who's supposed, and nothing really seems to be as it should. Centered in an orphan in the middle of the Spanish Civil War, the movie focuses in the life of the people (teachers and children) who have to keep hidden there from a war they've lost and from the people who'd like to kill them. But inside this orphan a mistery father more interesting than all this is about to being unvailed... Someone else, out of this world, lives there, and he wont let them go on living there without really paying for what they've done. Gothic, horror, drama and terrific performances is what you find in this pic. Federico Luppi (Cronos) is superb in his performance, aswell as Marisa Paredes (Life is beautiful) or Eduardo Noriega (Open your eyes). The three of them gives us the performances of their lives in a movie you must die to see it. Honestly, this is one of the movies of the decade. In the line of "The Silence of the lambs" or any of the best from David Fincher or Tim Burton.

official site:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The site is in Spanish.  There are lots of pics and they are excellent quality but are huge in size..
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 05:26 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Wanderer

The Devil's Backbone
Reply #1 - 17. Oct 2001 at 08:31
Print Post  
Guys, belieave me , the movie is ABSOLUTLY great... least the trailer is Smiley , the sound is superb and the boys are really cute Smiley

Ya know, this probably the only movie I'm gonna see before you Tongue

W

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

The Devil's Backbone
Reply #2 - 17. Dec 2001 at 10:18
Print Post  
Rotten Tomatoes has a high quality Trailer (you will need to have Quicktime 5 installed) which focuses on the ten year old Carlos (Fernando Tielve)...

..or if you prefer you can download some excellent images (26 of them).

Rotten Tomatoes:

..and and official ENGLISH language site has been set up here (you will need flash):

..btw..the reviews of the movie are excellent.
« Last Edit: 16. Aug 2003 at 11:37 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

YoungArthur
Ex Member

Hagrid's Helper

The Devil's Backbone
Reply #3 - 17. Dec 2001 at 10:39
Print Post  
One way or another, I will see this one.  Well made gothic horror plus those beautiful boys is my idea of a movie feast.
The color and resolution in those caps came out beautifully, Cal.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

The Devil's Backbone
Reply #4 - 19. Jan 2002 at 00:45
Print Post  
I went to see 'Devil's Backbone' tonight!  Are ya jealous?  hehe

There are some beautiful boys in it (no skin, sorry, except a few halfway-barechest shots), and it's an interesting story.  Reading the subtitles, I got the impression that I was getting a simplified version of what was really being said, so we'll have to get Wanderer to comment on that after he sees it.  I think I'll have to see this one again, when I know what's happening and don't have to do so much reading.  It's good, but I didn't come away from it thinking that it's one of the best movies I've seen (foreign or otherwise), or that it's even great.  I guess that's because I didn't really connect on an emotional level with any of the characters, like I often do with foreign movies where it's almost like reading a book for me.  Oh, I shouldn't say that.  I did 'connect' with a couple of the characters, especially the boy who was the main character, and a couple of his little friends, but there were others that seemed to need a little more fleshing out before we could really feel what they were feeling, even some of the boys who were central to the story.  The horror aspects of it weren't really all that much of a horror to me, either, and in fact seemed a little hokey as they happened.  This is very much a war movie from the perspective of those who were removed from the war in an isolated place, but whose every action had overtones of the war.  I suggest a brief overview of the Civil War in Spain before seeing it, so you'll understand the varying political leanings of the characters.

Okay, I'm not panning it, really.  It's a good movie that I think everyone here will enjoy, simply because there are some beautiful boys in it, and some of them are very good actors.   Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

The Devil's Backbone
Reply #5 - 19. Jan 2002 at 18:06
Print Post  
I've alway thought that the major problem with subtitles is that many of the nuances in the dialogue are often completely lost in the simplified and at times even altered meanings we see flashed at the bottom of the screen.   It's a great pity that the film makers don't shoot English dialogue version as well as a version in their native language.   I remember watching 'Life is Beautiful' a couple of years ago at the cinema and there were obviously quite a number of scenes where I missed much of the humour.   I knew it must have been funny because the Italians in the audience were laughing at many of the things that were said.  I do like hearing the natural voices of the actors and there is nothing worse that poor dubbing, but subtitles in a wordy movie can certainly lessen the experience for we anglophiles.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

The Devil's Backbone
Reply #6 - 28. Jul 2002 at 19:29
Print Post  
This is quite an old thread, but I'm bringing it back to the top instead of doing another review of it.

I saw this one in the theatre this weekend (I think it's already out on DVD in North America, but it took a really long time for it to make its way to my local arthouse theatre).

I have to disagree with Sir Jacob's review, though. I thought this film was simply brilliant. I will probably get it on DVD and watch it again. While it's true that you always lose some of the subtleties in the dialogue of any foreign-language film, the subtitles here didn't seem all that bad. I don't know much Spanish, but it's so close to French that I can usually some of what is being said and it seemed to me that the subtitles were about as good as they get.

Also, I thought the story was original, compelling and moving. The ghost story seems to be there more as a metaphore for memory and trauma than as an actual plot element. Some may find that kind of dramatic device tiresome, but I thought it worked well. I though the film was very well situated historically and did a great job of giving us a sense of the tension of the era.

The adult cast is also worth mentioning, as they are all excellent actors. I've seen the older woman in a few of Pedro Almodovar's films and she is as remarkable as always in this one.

Finally, I guess there is one aspect of the film on which I have to agree with Sir Jacob - the boys are beautiful. The protagonist is absolutely stunning! Not only that, but he also acts very well. Visually, the film is wonderful from the very first images to the end, partly because there are so many beautiful boys in it, but also because of the overall cinematography, etc.

Intense, compelling and beautiful. I wasn't disappointed and recommend it to everyone.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
Ex Member

Hagrid's Helper

The Devil's Backbone
Reply #7 - 10. Aug 2002 at 19:43
Print Post  
I thought it was a stunning movie, but I too thought the 'ghost was simply a symbolic element in a story of tragic violence and revenge.  Some of the most beautiful boys I've seen in movies.

I don't understand why some critics are comparing it to 'The Others'  which IS a fine ghost story.

IP Logged

CantDeny99

BA Member

Re: Devil's Backbone, The (2001)
Reply #8 - 05. Dec 2020 at 16:22
Print Post  
Glad to see Espinazo del Diablo here considering this is the first movie I saw that made me realize how much a handful of beautiful boys can grab my attention haha.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #9 - 06. Dec 2020 at 14:51
Print Post  
CantDeny99 wrote on 05. Dec 2020 at 16:22:
Glad to see Espinazo del Diablo here considering this is the first movie I saw that made me realize how much a handful of beautiful boys can grab my attention haha.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #10 - 10. Dec 2020 at 10:42
Print Post  
Smiley Very good movie  with very boys actors !

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #11 - 19. Dec 2020 at 20:09
Print Post  
A great ghost film with fine performances from the young cast and especially the boy playing the ghost itself.

IP Logged

LiL Rock

BA Member

Reply #12 - 04. Feb 2021 at 03:16
Print Post  
Good movie, Spanish made w English  captions
I thought the young lead actor was a mighty handsome kid
But the boy who played Jamie was the cutest for me
Certainly worth viewing and always recommend to others

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1