Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Testimony of Taliesin Jones, The (Read 11,611 times)
Cal
Ex Member

Testimony of Taliesin Jones, The
27. Nov 2001 at 06:32
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Official site: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IMDb plot summary...
A coming-of-age story about a 12-year-old boy (John Paul Macleod) whose mother leaves home with her hairdresser and leaves Taliesin behind with his distracted father (Jonathan Pryce), sullen older brother and his own creeping uncertainty in trying to make sense of this sudden conspiracy of events. It is when he meets elderly Billy Evans (Ian Bannen), piano teacher and part-time healer, that Taliesin finds a source of miracles that transform his life.
Imdb rating: 7.8/10

The boy is a very attractive 12 year old lad, the movie is very well made and the acting is first rate.  I found many things in this film with which I could identify very closely.  Highly recommended.

My movie rating 8.5/10
My boy movie rating  9/10

« Last Edit: 27. Aug 2003 at 10:54 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Sensitive Stephen
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 27. Nov 2001 at 12:14
Print Post  
It's hard to tell with some independent films. Sometimes an intended release date is announced, and then someone's plans change, such as a distribution deal falling through. It's not unusual these days for an independent film that cannot find a distributor to end up showing up on cable without a theatrical run. Since this movie won its major award in October 2000, it's been going begging for a while.

Thanks for pointing it out, though. It DOES look interesting.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #2 - 27. Nov 2001 at 17:02
Print Post  
Hey Cal, I viewed the trailer, and it looks great!

Thanks for posting this.  I'm looking forward to seeing it on cable or in the theater.  Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

Reply #3 - 29. Nov 2001 at 01:10
Print Post  
I read the novel by Rhydian Brook a few years ago...I didn't realise it'd been made into a movie.

"It's only other people who tell me to grow up", Taliesin points out. He thinks of his brother trying to be older than he is, wanting desperately to be a man. His balls have dropped, he constantly asserts his age advantage and athleticism.....Taliesin thinks about the grocer's crushed balls and his own balls waiting for the signal, the inevitable drop to manhood. No way of stopping it. Nothing he can do about it except wish for the Never Never dropping balls of Peter Pan.
"I liked being seven. Things were easier when I was seven. No one told me to grow up then, they just let me be seven", he says.

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 29. Nov 2001 at 20:33
Print Post  
Hey, that makes me want to read the book even more than see the movie. Smiley

Thanks, Bijou!

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Cal
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 30. Nov 2001 at 07:39
Print Post  
Books usually have a lot of stuff in them that doesn't make it to film.  I do remember him telling the grocer something like  'it was easier when I was seven because no one told me to grow up'

There is a line about Peter Pan's balls which is a gem.  

IP Logged

youngboy 16
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 24. Dec 2001 at 02:26
Print Post  
Cal... what beautiful blue eyes... thanks

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #7 - 06. Sep 2002 at 13:18
Print Post  
A review (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

In fact, there are lots of reviews at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)...
Spy Kids 2, Signs, Road to Perdition, Like Mike, Eight Legged Freaks.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 07. Sep 2002 at 08:30
Print Post  
Any site dedicated to spirituality in movies and that reviews a film like <i>Blue Crush</i> deserves points for originality (and loses points for credibility)!

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #9 - 07. Sep 2002 at 13:06
Print Post  
They even had a link to the purchase of the book of 'The Testimony of Taliesin Jones'.  I wonder if they knew about that part about the balls dropping?  Smiley

Love,
Sir Jacob

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #10 - 07. Sep 2002 at 14:37
Print Post  
Sir J,

All kidding aside, your post in the "My Little Devil" thread kind of fits this movie. I saw this last year at a film festival and was completely transfixed by John-Paul Macleod. The story successfully draws the distinction between faith and religion.

I think some of the trouble it has had in finding an American audience is this line that it draws. The religious will be put off by its attacks on religion and its inability to heal our wounds. Yet the movie's tone clearly suggests a reverence for the power of faith which may be disdainful to the irreligious. But those of us who believe in the power of a young boy's faith will think this movie is an absolute classic. This was one of the best films I saw last year.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Testimony of Taliesin Jones, The
Reply #11 - 24. Mar 2004 at 18:23
Print Post  
Cal, thanks again for posting about this move back when it came out.  I bought this movie so long ago that I can't even remember how long I've had it, but it had somehow gotten down so far on the stack of ones that I still needed to watch, that it was today before I finally saw it.   Shocked

After seeing it, I can only agree with Zab about how good it is!  Honestly, this one has a really good message, and John Paul MacLeod is wonderful in it!

This statement that you made is very true, Zab, and might make some of our more agnostic members give it a look instead of just writing it off:  <i>The story successfully draws the distinction between faith and religion.</i>  I'll also agree that <i> those of us who believe in the power of a young boy's faith will think this movie is an absolute classic. This was one of the best films [I've seen this year].</i>  Hehe.  I had to change part of that, huh?  Smiley

Really guys, I think you'll like it.  Even if there's not a religious bone in your body, you'll love John Paul MacLeod.  Besides, there's an agnostic bully who beats him up regularly, so there's a kid for either "belief system" to cheer for.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #12 - 24. Mar 2004 at 18:27
Print Post  
this one has been near the top of my wishlist for a long time. Zab's review had something to do with it, but mostly it's just those blue eyes on the cover. Smiley

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

US DVD
Reply #13 - 19. Jan 2005 at 19:45
Print Post  
The US DVD release is called "Small Miracles"...

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #14 - 19. Jan 2005 at 20:15
Print Post  
Thanks for the notice, Hosenhaus. I probably wouldn't have recognized it as the same movie, as the new cover not only has a different title but also looks very different.

This movie has been on my wishlist for a longtime. Perhaps I'll finally get a chance to see it now.

I wonder why they changed the title. I liked the original better.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print