Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Hollow Reed (1996) (Read 8,654 times)
devon
Ex Member

Hollow Reed (1996)
02. Mar 2002 at 20:52
Print Post  

The dust cover said something to the effect: A gay father suspects that his young son is being abused and tries to get custody.

Well that sounded like a cliché, but I figured, what the heck. It's worth looking at. It has a gay father, and a son he's trying to protect. It could be a dismal flop, or a good movie.

Rest assured, it is the latter.

Little Sam Bould plays Oliver (Ollie). His life is made very hard by someone close to him that hits him and physically abuses him.

The bad person plays the role well. Yet the movie even manages to stir at least a little empthy for the villain.

If you love boys and are upset by them being abused, this is a good movie for you.

1995 Scala Ltd / Senator Film Production GMBH / Channel Four Television.

« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 04:38 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Hollow Reed
Reply #1 - 03. Mar 2002 at 04:48
Print Post  
A great film.
Do one should miss it.
Sam Bould does an amazing job.  Playing a kid who is not so bright has got to be harder than playing a kid who acts like a wise-cracking little adult...

IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Hollow Reed
Reply #2 - 04. Mar 2002 at 06:44
Print Post  
I have to disagree about the boy being not so bright. I think he was just trying to keep his mother happy.

He was rather inventive with the mirror too.

I came to the conclusion that he was afraid of speaking up and just answered the questions he was asked.

I think he was a clever lad, misguided in trying to make his mother happy at the expense of what he suffered, but not a boy who was less than average intelligence.

(Edited by devon at 1:45 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Hollow Reed
Reply #3 - 04. Mar 2002 at 07:10
Print Post  
very good movie.

Sam Bould is excellent as Oliver, a young boy with large soulful eyes, in this restrained yet harrowing story about a child caught between divorced, warring parents and his mother's violence-prone boyfriend. Oliver’s mum is bitter about her former husband, a doctor now in a gay relationship. She is unwilling to admit, even to herself, that her boyfriend often beats Oliver. Oliver is too frightened to talk. His father suspects what is happening and he applies for custody of his son.
« Last Edit: 06. Feb 2004 at 07:49 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print